XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Today, the wife said we could use another car

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Today, the wife said we could use another car

It was completely her idea, and she was OK with the other car being a jaguar. So, with her blessing, I can finally be serious about jaguar owner ship.

I have always wanted one, after lusting over the XJC12 as a kid.

Honestly, that XJC12 is still what I really want, but at this point, the car has to be a reliable driver, And even if I could find the coupe, I probably couldn't afford it in the condition I need it to be in. But, I am still looking, and who knows.

The first alternative is an XJR, preferably an X300, maybe an X308, but most likely not an X350, although this is an emotional decision, rather than a rational one. I will happily listen to anyone extolling the virtues of the aluminum bodies.

There is something about that straight six though, and the X350 just does not excite me.

I could actually live with an NA XJ6.

Off and on, I think about the S-type, but only the R, and only because of the power. I don't think I would be happy with an S-type.

TL;DR: New owner to be needs help finding an affordable XJC12, or XJR. Needs to be told that the X300 really is the best choice.

Thanks folks!

Old 03-04-2014, 12:53 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Save you pennies and spend time looking around at all of the jags you can.

Then buy the best you can...... and have some extra cash on hand to get it road ready and safe for the family/friends.

It's and easy decision to buy a jaguar if you are a decent mechanic? If your not.... find a good mechanic to help ya with the repairs and up keep.

I just got my first jaguar... 1997 XJ6L 4.0/ and just love it....

After new tires, brakes, shocks, tuneup and a few extras.. im in for 2K?

Enjoy the hunt....
jake

Old 03-04-2014, 01:55 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Originally Posted by uraberg
............ I can finally be serious about jaguar owner ship. I have always wanted one, after lusting over the XJC12 as a kid. ......
Welcome to the forum uraberg,

Keep the XJ12C as a dream for the moment. Good ones are rare and expensive. I wanted one when they wre new but had to settle for the four door at the time. All these years later, I've still never owned an XJ coupe!

Go and test drive an X300 / X308 / STR because they all have different characteristics. Once you've decided which is the one for you, come back and ask about choosing a good example.

Enjoy the search.

Graham

Old 03-04-2014, 07:05 PM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts

Agree with ALL above.

I always advise people asking me that very same question to:

1) LEAVE EMOTION AT HOME.
2) Drive a few of the variant that interests you the most, NOT just one.
3) DO NOT believe the sales garbage (private or dealer). The car is being moved on for a reason, and if its as good as some say, why dont they keep it. Obviously you will have to sort the dribble from fact.

I repeat what was said also, TAKE YOUR TIME.

Old 03-05-2014, 04:11 AM
Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

TL;DR: New owner to be needs help finding an affordable XJC12, or XJR. Needs to be told that the X300 really is the best choice.

Thanks folks!
X300s are simpler to work on than the later cars, as well as being less prone to catastrophic failures - ie gearboxes, timing chains on the X308s etc. The down side is that they're older! So a lot of bits will be wearing out, if they've not already been replaced. My car would have been a nightmare if I'd had to take it to the garage every time something needed looking at, but so far (touch wood) it's all been DIYable.

So justifying the X300 shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially if you don't mind getting your hands dirty!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:14 AM

I'm a pretty decent mechanic, which is one of the reasons the 6 is appealing to me, they appear easier to work on. But yes, with older cars, there is most likely going to be more work...

I realized that there is one problem to overcome, I have a very steep, short driveway. A 1997 honda accord would almost bottom out on the top, and almost scrape the exhaust tips on the bottom. (107" wheelbase, 6.3 ground clearance)

Are things like departure angle, break over angle available for jaguars? I know they are typical 4x4 specs...

Old 03-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

A 1997 honda accord would almost bottom out on the top, and almost scrape the exhaust tips on the bottom. (107" wheelbase, 6.3 ground clearance)
The X300 comes in 113" or 118" wheelbase versions and with two ride heights - Comfort and Sport (can't remember the numbers for those off the top of my head).

I used to scrape the belly of my LWB/Sport heading down a not-very-steep driveway, but it's pretty much the worst combination.

Departure/Approach angles will be terrible - the overhangs are huge.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 AM

I'm finding numbers that would make it impossible for me to get any jaguar in my garage without scraping the hell out of it...

Old 03-06-2014, 09:16 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I would remodel the slopes on my driveway entrance rather than give up my car.