XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Total Electronic Meltdown

Old 01-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Total Electronic Meltdown

Good morning everyone,
Interesting morning today for me. Got into my lovely 95 VDP this morning (she has been a total peach up til today) started her up, runs fine, then my battery light comes on. I check the leads, nothing is loose so i continue on my way. Further down the road, I roll down my window and sunroof, they are moving agonizingly slow. a few moments later, my cabin lights illuminate. Finally as i'm pulling into my office my transmission light and abs light comes on. Turned off the car and tried to start it again, and now it wont even turn over.
What the heck is happening? Do I have a bad battery and the low voltage is awakening the "electrical gremlins"?
The car ran and shifted fine, so im assuming all that is need is a new battery. Never had any electrical or battery issues before until today.
Also, I live in Florida and my jag hates cold weather. It's one of the coldest days of the year here today (low 40's F). Could the temperature come into play?
Give me help here guys!!!

Old 01-09-2015, 09:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,781 Likes on 2,225 Posts

It's probably just the battery, but it could be the alternator is not charging also. I would avoid trying to start it until the battery is replaced, the modules do not like low voltage.

Old 01-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 10,741 Likes on 7,097 Posts

What was the voltmeter doing during all of this?

Anyway, you gotta start somewhere so have the battery charged and load-tested and then, if needed, have the alternator output checked.

Move on to more esoteric possibilities and fixes only if those two steps don't reveal a problem

cheers
DD

Old 01-09-2015, 09:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I would say that you have a bad alternator due to the progression- first the trouble light, then later signs of decreasing battery voltage. A running car will just about always keep running even with a failing battery.

Last edited by Don B; 01-09-2015 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:30 PM
Received 12,709 Likes on 6,372 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
I would say that you have a bad alternator due to the progression- first the trouble light, then later signs of decreasing battery voltage. A running car will just about always keep running even with a failing battery.

+1

I read your symptoms the same way. It sounds as though your battery is not being properly charged and the alternator is not providing enough juice to run the car. Most local auto parts stores will do a basic check of your electrical system for free.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 01-09-2015 at 11:31 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (01-12-2015), MountainMan (01-12-2015)
Old 01-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Originally Posted by elithrift
Good morning everyone,
Interesting morning today for me. Got into my lovely 95 VDP this morning (she has been a total peach up til today) started her up, runs fine, then my battery light comes on. I check the leads, nothing is loose so i continue on my way. Further down the road, I roll down my window and sunroof, they are moving agonizingly slow. a few moments later, my cabin lights illuminate. Finally as i'm pulling into my office my transmission light and abs light comes on. Turned off the car and tried to start it again, and now it wont even turn over.
What the heck is happening? Do I have a bad battery and the low voltage is awakening the "electrical gremlins"?
The car ran and shifted fine, so im assuming all that is need is a new battery. Never had any electrical or battery issues before until today.
Also, I live in Florida and my jag hates cold weather. It's one of the coldest days of the year here today (low 40's F). Could the temperature come into play?
Give me help here guys!!!
Eli, this is axactly what Mike Sach's was talking about at the meeting at the "Reef" you know the answer, get a fresh new battery.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Well, first of all, this is NOT something so dramatic that it should be labelled a "Meltdown". You just described a classic loss of voltage while driving. And you may well have ruined the battery when you fully discharged it. But you described no symptoms that point to a bad battery. The car started, then progressively lost systems that are sensitive to voltage.

Change the battery if you want to, but this car is not charging for what ever reason. And a new battery will drive it for hours until it discharges.

The following 3 users liked this post by sparkenzap:
93SB (01-12-2015), Don B (01-10-2015), MountainMan (01-12-2015)
Old 01-10-2015, 08:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 717 Likes on 552 Posts

Well, first of all, this is NOT something so dramatic that it should be labelled a "Meltdown". You just described a classic loss of voltage while driving. And you may well have ruined the battery when you fully discharged it. But you described no symptoms that point to a bad battery. The car started, then progressively lost systems that are sensitive to voltage. Change the battery if you want to, but this car is not charging for what ever reason. And a new battery will drive it for hours until it discharges.
most correct, always have the charging system checked when faced with a bad battery to ensure you don't keep repeating the cycle.

Old 01-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, first of all, this is NOT something so dramatic that it should be labelled a "Meltdown". You just described a classic loss of voltage while driving. And you may well have ruined the battery when you fully discharged it. But you described no symptoms that point to a bad battery. The car started, then progressively lost systems that are sensitive to voltage.

Change the battery if you want to, but this car is not charging for what ever reason. And a new battery will drive it for hours until it discharges.
So terribly sorry if my term "meltdown" offended you. Lol. To each his own I suppose.
Anyways,
After running voltage tests at my mate's garage. We've all come to the conclusion that it is indeed a bad alternator.
Thank you for all for the help, gents. This forum is a beautiful thing!

The following 4 users liked this post by elithrift:
93SB (01-12-2015), Don B (01-10-2015), MountainMan (01-12-2015), sparkenzap (01-12-2015)