XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Upper radiator hose removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2019, 05:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper radiator hose removal

Yesterday I was driving and the car ('96 VDP 4.0) started overheating. Of course I didn't catch it, until it was already in the red ! It doesn't seem that I blew the head gasket, even though I drove it another 50 miles... Was able to keep it out of the red the by monitoring it, driving easy and topping of with water every few miles.... But, the culprit seems to be a 3inch long crack in the upper radiator hose. I did a search on here already and looked a pdf of the Haynes manual, but couldn't find any specifics... Anyway, it looks pretty tight in there and my hands aren't small. Any tips, tricks or other problems I should be aware of when replacing it? Like is there other parts, hoses or wires that need to come off first, or a certain order or procedure I should follow to make it less time consuming or easier on myself... BTW, I am mechanically inclined and can and have fixed anything I've ever tried (from oil changes to engine and transmission swaps, to engine tear down and rebuilds... Just self taught, no training) on my vehicles. I've just never had to work on the Jag much, or my previous Jag's... Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance...

Old 09-04-2019, 07:55 PM
Received 10,341 Likes on 6,841 Posts

Welcome to teh Forums.

Please do an Intro in the New Members Section hen time permits.

The "top radiator" hose, from the radiator to the thermostat cover is simply 2 hose clamps, CAREFUL twist of the hose, and off it is. Replacement is simple, BUT the PLASTIC snout of the radiator WILL snap if care is not taken, both in the removal, and replacement, DO NOT over tighten that clamp, just common sense firm.

However

If you are refering to the more common B&^%ard hose under the Inlet manifold, you will have a tedious task, as the USA has other stuff on the way.

My Aussie 3.2, was simple, about 30 minutes, start to stop, as access is straight forward.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 09-05-2019 at 08:22 AM.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,642 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Welcome to the forum, WhiteRob.
Given your stated experience level, I have to assume you either have a supercharged X300 (I have no notion what that upper hose arrangement looks like...though from pics found on the web, it doesn't look anymore challenging than the NA version) OR, more likely, you've errantly posted in the wrong forum. Because, as Grant very diplomatically stated above: "It's hard to reconcile your experience performing auto repairs/maintenance with the fact you asked this question" OK...he didn't say that, but I'm sure he, as well as everyone else was thinking it :-)

Please post the engine, specific model, and model year of your Jaguar so we can better serve you.

But with respect to the upper radiator hose on the USA 4.0L naturally aspirated X300, I'm hard pressed to think of an easier, more straight-forward repair that you could encounter. As Grant said, beware the plastic radiator nipple - best to cut the busted hose axially at the neck just to be sure. Maybe lube the new one with some liquid soap to ease installation and reduce stress on the nipple...but I've honestly had greater difficulty changing certain fuses on the car than that hose!

If you do have the X300, I'd recommend an oil change. You may not be aware that the coolant temp gauge has a VERY broad middle range. I'm not sure it is universally applied, but my 95 parks just shy of the middle mark about 180F, and doesn't hit the red until about 250F! And although I've only had it up there once, I don't believe it was a linear rise....still around the middle probably past 212-220F then "BAMO!" rapid climb to the red. By the time I got the OBDII app up and running, it was showing 250F.

The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
Grant Francis (09-05-2019), SleekJag12 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 08:29 AM

The blower version has that DUMB electric air pump in the way, but still a simple hose to do.

As apposed to the Bas###d hose, which is well and truly hidden, as is the octopus lower hose.

He is noting a 1996 VDP 4.0 ltr, so i assumed a NA engine.

Canadian Club clears the assumptions after a bout 30 minutes.

Old 09-11-2019, 07:11 AM
Vee
Veteran Member
Received 1,512 Likes on 1,177 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Francis
Canadian Club clears the assumptions after a bout 30 minutes.
This is the first Canadian Club reference I’ve seen you make. Is there something so unusual about this problem that it requires CC instead of your tried and true JD?

I want to make sure I have the proper tools before I tackle any jaguar problems of my own!

The following users liked this post:
SleekJag12 (09-12-2019)
Old 09-11-2019, 09:27 AM

NAH,

Daughter sprung for a CC for Dad's day, and Son sprung for JD.

CC leaves a headache if you are careless, like a V12 if you do not pay attention.

The JD sits OK., just have to adjust the pace now I am older, NOT.

Like the never bloody ending "what oil is best" nonsense, I take what is on the shelf on the day, or, in the case of oil, whatever is on special.

Heating up here now, at long last, so BEER will take 1st place.

Then the X Type and the S Type are so damn simple to maintain, I am seriously thinkoing of another V12. Then spouse reminds me there is a MK10 and a MK7 sitting in storage, so apparently I have enough Jags for now.