XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

vdp or xjr?

Old 02-01-2009, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vdp or xjr?

ive heard the 95-97 xj6's are very strong cars bulletproof motors even can you say the same about the xjr's? im set on buying a vdp but i would enjoy the speed of a xjr. i just want a strong reliable car. what do you guys think.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
Default RE: vdp or xjr?

Doug is the man to talk to about this, and no doubt he will be along soon.

The base engine isvery similarbetween the two models, so the supercharged engine is a durable unit: however, the complexity of plumbing that accompanies the S/C installation makes service access to some components nearly impossible for the do-it-yourselfer or non-Jaguar mechanic.

If that is not a consideration for you over the long haul, go for the XJR.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

For me it would be the XJR hands down even with the added burden of the difficult work in the engine bay.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I was pretty impressed by XJR"s amazing performance However I'm used to driving and having comfortable cars that's why I am driving Daimler aka VDP . If I buy another more correctly a second Jaguar besides my XJ40 that would be 1995-97 XJR with 18" wheels

Old 02-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,742 Likes on 7,097 Posts

The supercharger installation does crowd one side of the engine bay. Replacing the lower radiator hose (once every10 years) is a real problem becuase of this. Cleaning the throttle body is also more difficult and this needs to be done every few years...depending on variables. Other than that there is no down side to the supercharged engine, really. The supercharger itself is very long lasting....if you check the oil level every couple of years.

The suspension is definatelyfirmer than a VDP but that's the price of better cornering and steering feel. Mind you, its still comfortable but by no means soft and cushy. With the wide tires the XJRs use there is a tendency for the car to tramline...that is, follow road irregularities.

The interior is luxurious but not quite as plush as the VDP.

The XJR has lots of power...0-60 in 6.5 seconds and 0-100 in less than 15. That's well out of "rocketship" territory by today's standards but, still, it has lots of ooomph. The engine develops tons over torque over a wide rpm range so even part-throttle acceleration is impressive.

In all, nothing significant to fear and the power is delicious. I've had no major problems with mine and its never been on the back of a tow truck

It all depends which way you want to leanowerful or plush . For me there was no question, and the extra power and great suspension are more than enough to offset any small disadvantages

As with any used Jag, finding a well kept example that has been lovingly cared for is worth some extra money versus a so-so example at a bargain price. The market is so low that spending extra for a nice one is still pretty darn cheap.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

Hey Doug,

I think I'd have to respectfully disagree to the extent that the differences in service accessabilityare significant, particularly in light of the iilee's criteria.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

ORIGINAL: JagtechOhio

Hey Doug,

I think I'd have to respectfully disagree to the extent that the differences in service accessabilityare significant, particularly in light of the iilee's criteria.

Really? I don't think they're that bad. <shrug> Routine service items (plugs, filters, belts) are no biggie. I just did a water pump and it was easy enough and other front mounted accessories seem accessible. That lower hose is a real problem, though.

Well, even if an "R" is harder to work on, it IS strong and reliable, as iilee desires, and he said he liked speed

Cheers
DD

Old 02-01-2009, 06:50 PM

hmm a lot to think about. thanks for all your responses.

and on what you mentioned on my other thread cadillac, the xjr isnt a straight 6?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:14 PM
Veteran Member

The 1995-96-97 XJRs are 6 cylinder.

1998 and newer are V8

Cheers
DD

Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 PM

The interior of the VDP won me over. I had the same debate for a while before going with a VDP. I've since thought about supercharging it and swapping the suspension bits for XJR suspension. Best of both worlds!

Old 02-12-2009, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

I don't like "piano black" wood trims either . I just like and prefer burr walnut
I have seen different exterior for XJRs too.
For inst: Some models come with chrome pillar posts ,some models don't . I think it depends on country specs .

Old 02-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by XjJagXjJeepDriver
best of both worlds indeed! I'd agree to the VDP has gorgeous interior. even some of the regular XJ6's have the nicer interiors with wood grain steering wheel, etc. Id still choose the XJR6 hands down since Im a speed freak and that is THE Jaguar Ive always wanted even before I had my 93 XJ6.

Whats weird is I've seen some XJR6's with the crappier interiors (no offense to anyone) I dont mean actually crappy but you know how some have that black/white color combo inside and the instrument cluster is just a solid black piece of tacky plastic around the speedometer, etc? Ive actually seen some XJR6's that have the nice looking wood grain trim around that (like my 93 XJ6) and even have seen some of the XJR6's with wood grain steering wheels too. The ONLY XJRs Ive seen with the "luxury" interiors that are tan are always on either the BRG or Blue XJRs.. Whats up with that??? There musta been some crazy combo packages back in the day! I want a black one with that same gorgeous interior too!!

I always assumed that, with the XJR, Jaguar was intentionally going after the somber "BMW look" with the interior. You know....a "serious driving machine" atmosphere instead the the usual "posh gentlemans club".

I've seen some XJR6s with instrument cluster wood ...I think they were all late production, though. Not sure. My '95 has the wood/leather wheel, though. My car is black/black...I think the interior is called "charcoal" actually....and it begs for just a splash of lightness. Perhaps if the carpets were half a shade lighter it would help.

That "almost white" leather color seen on so many X300s doesn't appeal to me at all, regardless of paint color. And, yes, its particularly bad with black!

Cheers
DD

Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by cadillac
I don't like "piano black" wood trims either . I just like and prefer burr walnut
I have seen different exterior for XJRs too.
For inst: Some models come with chrome pillar posts ,some models don't . I think it depends on country specs .

Right. I think Jaguar offered a couple XJR-only colors. One of them was a turquoise that is quite rare.

USA XJRs had bright window trim. UK versions had the black...not sure about other markets.

Cheers
DD

Old 02-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Veteran Member

Many have remarked to me that my black/black XJR has a menacing or stealthy look to it. I have to agree :-)

However, you don't own a black car. It owns you. I cannot even begin to tally the hours I've spent keeping the car clean and polished. But, that's the way it goes with black cars.

Next time I'll buy a white one :-)

Cheers
DD