XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

Water/Coolant tank light thingie.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 09:54 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Water/Coolant tank light thingie.....

Last night I was pulling into my apartment complex, no biggie, and stopped the car and got out. I noticed that there was quite a bit of water coming out from under the car, I know a little water is ok (I was running the AC) but it was an exuberant amount of water, and now the little "tank with water" light has come on in the dash. I haven't had time yet to go out and replenish the water/coolant tank but I am just really hoping I didn't blow anything. Any ideas??

Old 09-16-2010, 10:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there. After you pulled in and turned her off did you actually get on the ground to touch the excess liquid?

Like you said, clear A/C water is normal, usually draining more on the passenger side of vehicle.

But if it was truly coolant it would not be clear or look like water. Will have a much more slippery feel and sweet smell to it. And depending on what type of coolant is in your system and expansion tank it could be a couple different colors.

Definitely check the expansion coolant tank and see if the level has dropped to low, which would make that light on dash come on for sure. It's normal for the level to change in expansion tank, but you shouldnt lose any unless there is a crack in the tank.

My 93 XJ6 had a crack in the coolant tank, and because it was a 2-piece top bottom design sealed together the middle part started coming apart. Coolant leaking until I coughed up the $200 or whatever it was to replace the tank with OEM part...

Let us know and we'll figure it out!

Old 09-16-2010, 11:09 AM

When I touched it it didn't smell sweet and it was clear (and a little dirty from the road) but it was a little greasier than water which I am also assuming was from the road. I am going to pick up some coolant and top off the expansion tank and see if it leaks when I put it in.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:20 PM

*UPDATE* Well I put some new coolant in the car, which then pushed the old coolant out (I think I may have found where the leak is at) and I was driving home with no problems.....then all hell broke loose.
I saw the Temp gauge rocket towards H so I stopped running the AC and rolled down the windows, no luck. It kept creeping higher and higher and went to H, then the car started making a god awful clankity noise when I pressed the accelerator, then a little bit of smoke started coming out from underneath the car followed by a faint smell of burnt rubber and when I came to a stop the car stalled (battery light came on). Needless to say I made it home but now am totally Effed in the A because I have no way of getting it anywhere and very little funds on how to fix the problem.
Can someone please help??!!??!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Check all the hoses in and around the coolant reservoir, and the coolant reservoir itself. Also, check the radiator grille. Find where the leak is.

I hope everything is okay with the engine. I'd deal with the coolant issue and then, if it persists, the battery issue is the least of your worries (so long as the car starts).

Old 09-16-2010, 04:49 PM

*FINAL UPDATE* Well after doing some Sherlock-ish detective work I found a nice 1 1/2" gash in a coolant hose leading towards the engine. I had to splice that hose (since Jaguar's hoses are made to fit pretty snug) and attach a few more inches of another 3/4" hose via a hose attachment and presto it runs good as new.

I had to throw in 3 full jugs of coolant mix to fill her up (she was bone dry) and my Check Engine light is on probably due to me overheating so I'll just have my dad clear the code. All in all I spent about $40 and now have the satisfaction of fixing my car for the first time

Old 09-16-2010, 05:27 PM
Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm glad you figured it out.

It is quite satisfying to fix your own car. I look forward to tinkering with my future Jag. I have already downloaded/browsed through the X300 shop manual...I just need to find the right car.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:39 PM

Yeah it is definitely a great feeling. I need to invest in a hard copy of the X300 manual for my future projects