XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What are these "switches" and why has someone cut the wires to one of them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:58 AM
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What are these "switches" and why has someone cut the wires to one of them?

I've had my 1995 X300 in the workshop for a couple of jobs including non-working air-con (shock I hear you cry!). Anyway they have diagnosed a leaking condenser.
The mechanic also drew my attention to 2 round relays/switches(?) which are adjacent to one other and situated in the engine compartment against the bulkhead and are connected from below to air-con pipes. The reason he pointed them out to me was that one of them has had the 2 electrical wire connections cut and cut right down to the unit so no wires are protruding whatsoever, which strikes me as a strange thing for someone to do.
Nearby are wires from a loom which appear to once have been connected to one of these units, but of course now cannot reach it. Years ago, the air-con worked OK, so this cutting of the wires from this switch(?) didn't seem to affect the air-con at the time.
To assist, I have attached 2 photos. Image 1 shows the units and the nearby wires can be seen which may have once been attached to one of them. I don't know, so it's a bit of a guess. The second image again shows the 2 switches and it can be clearly seen that 2 wires have been cut on one of them.
Anyone please cast any light on what these are and why on earth someone would have cut the connections to one of them? Because they both are attached to the air-con system, they must form part of its operation I would think.
Finally, if the condenser is the problem I want to be sure that the fact that this switch has had its connection cut won't prevent the air-con system working again properly.
Thanks in advance and apologies for such a long post!

Attached Thumbnails What are these "switches" and why has someone cut the wires to one of them?-image1.jpg   What are these "switches" and why has someone cut the wires to one of them?-image2.jpg  

Last edited by biffta; 05-07-2014 at 09:03 AM. Reason: missing word
Old 05-07-2014, 12:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,643 Likes on 1,068 Posts

Maybe part of the TSB for re-wiring the cooling fans?

The following users liked this post:
biffta (05-07-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Maybe part of the TSB for re-wiring the cooling fans?
Thanks, but TSB??

Old 05-07-2014, 02:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 931 Likes on 524 Posts

aholbro1 is exactly right. The TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) is attached.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
TSB Electric Fan Switch.pdf (41.0 KB, 117 views)
The following 2 users liked this post by b1mcp:
aholbro1 (05-07-2014), biffta (05-08-2014)
Old 05-07-2014, 06:40 PM
Veteran Member

I've thus far never had a fan problem but there are quite a few posts about it in here. I wasn't sure but seem to recall it involving the pressure switches on the AC lines. I just went looking and found several TSB's touching the fans and one relocating one of the switches with a new pipe, but not showing what you have there. Looks like B1 has fixed you up, though. For TSB's, see first sticky in the X300 section....or click here:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...t-s-b-s-27319/

Old 05-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Ejhat the TSB implies, but does not explicitly say, is that starting the fans in parallel, as will happen with the AC circuit, causes a large inrush of current. Starting the fans with the temperature control, if working correctly, will start the fans first in low, or series mode, which limits the current, then transfers to high, with a much reduced inrush.

Old 05-08-2014, 03:03 AM

Wow! It never fails to amaze me the depth and extent of the knowledge on this site and the help and advice members and willing to give, so a big thank you for the responses. Appreciation also for the TSB, very helpful.
The fact that I didn't know what TSB meant indicates perhaps the level of my technical knowledge!
As far as I can understand then, cutting the wires to this pressure switch was correct, although I think the Bulletin advises complete removal of the switch from the pipe which in my case was not done.
Also, the Bulletin advises the fitting of a shorting plug to the wires which went to the switch but in my case they are just open.
Would you advise that I connect these wires together and in effect short them in accordance with the TSB advice? Thanks again.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:42 AM

After checking again, it seems the wires have already been shorted no more action necessary from me.
Thanks again to all.

Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Yep, you got i. And removing the switch from the pipe would be a big deal, since it would require recharging the refrigerant.
Don't worry, be happy!

The following users liked this post:
biffta (05-08-2014)
Old 05-08-2014, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Yep, you got i. And removing the switch from the pipe would be a big deal, since it would require recharging the refrigerant.
Don't worry, be happy!
Thanks for that, but as I'm ordering a new condenser, a re-charge will be necessary anyway!

Old 05-08-2014, 08:05 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by biffta
Thanks for that, but as I'm ordering a new condenser, a re-charge will be necessary anyway!
Some had schraders, some not. Might be worth a look under the switch while you've got the system open (or not, might also create a leak) but if you don't have the schrader, better leave the switch, you'll never get a suitable seal with just a cap. I think the TSB references a VIN range that didn't have shrader valves....

Details on your condenser purchase?
Prices are steep...when you can find them - I went for a wrecker-yard model after I foolishly didn't notice departure of the lower iso-mounts and wore a hole in my original. When it arrived, it was aftermarket - copper tube Al fin; 2 or 3 circuit design, don't recall which. It was considerably heavier than original but the A/C is just as cold as before so I roll with it.

BTw - take care putting it all back together, it is not that difficult to miss the upper mountings as you are putting that top cover back on-trying to align both the radiator top iso-mounts that you can see, AND the upper cond mounts you can't ...whilst still maintaining the lowers in their holes..

Last edited by aholbro1; 05-08-2014 at 08:07 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by aholbro1:
biffta (05-10-2014), BigBossRadio (05-10-2014)
Old 05-10-2014, 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by aholbro1
Details on your condenser purchase?
Prices are steep...when you can find them - I went for a wrecker-yard model after I foolishly didn't notice departure of the lower iso-mounts and wore a hole in my original. When it arrived, it was aftermarket - copper tube Al fin; 2 or 3 circuit design, don't recall which. It was considerably heavier than original but the A/C is just as cold as before so I roll with it.

BTw - take care putting it all back together, it is not that difficult to miss the upper mountings as you are putting that top cover back on-trying to align both the radiator top iso-mounts that you can see, AND the upper cond mounts you can't ...whilst still maintaining the lowers in their holes..
As I'm in Spain, a new condenser is being shipped from an independent supplier in the UK as I type (Saturday). Should be here Monday/Tuesday. Cost 124 GB Pounds plus tax.
My local garage got a price from Jaguar Spain........920 Euros + 20% tax!
Thanks for your advice re' fitting, but my car repair days are well behind me. Someone else will be doing the job!