XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

x300 Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:58 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default x300 Suspension

It took a long time to finally get it right but by replacing my front shocks and springs we were able to get close to the original ride of this beautiful car. What took the longest was finding a mechanic who knew how to do it. If anyone has questions about my experience and the engineering involved, I believe I have a good answer. So, feel free to drop a line on this site and I will share data and such. I cant believe the improvement, not only to the ride, but the overall performance of the car. The sagging suspension was causing many problems through out the car including engine and more. I urge you start with the suspension when taking concern for minor and major issues that are occurring. Once you get the posture correct you can begin to go after other items more confidently. This week I am going after the rear suspension and restoring it as well. "Long Live 95-96-97 XJ's

The following users liked this post:
LnrB (09-06-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Originally Posted by georgemcnally
It took a long time to finally get it right but by replacing my front shocks and springs we were able to get close to the original ride of this beautiful car.
Hi George,

What symptoms prompted you to replace the front springs as well as the shocks? Did you also replace all the bushings in the subframe, control arms, etc.?

Cheers,

Don

93SB (11-07-2022)
Old 08-31-2014, 09:25 AM

Don-When I purchases the car I figured it may need attention in the suspension. A long time ago my brother explained to me (engineer servant) that gravity and time will effect suspensions as well as mileage. This is a unique condition when making considerations for suspension analysis, where most other situations on cars has more to do or solely to do with mileage. So, I was just presuming I would need to do some work here. The L body Jag is also a very heavy car and although the low ride looked cool and possibly a result of a sport package, it was beginning to rub on the fenders and effect the trim on the panel. Upon underside inspection, the springs were very rusty were obviously sagging to where they looked squashed and useless. The shocks were noisy, as well the ride was horrible. I didn't like to drive it and got into a couple situation that caused damage to other parts of the car. Hitting a pot hole, for example cost me a front rim, (cracked it) wheel bearing, broken caliper and possibly a fractured intake manifold gasket replacement. All in one run. Yes, the roads were horrible here in michigan this spring, but with proper damping and support from the spring this would probably not have happened. I believe the car sat unused for a period of time, prior to my ownership, and once I began using it, things developed. Once I have the suspension completed, including rear, it will take a huge strain off of all the other systems working within the car. So, thanks for asking...I do have spec data and such if you need info additionally. TTYL Also, I did not replace the bushing in the control arms...mechanic did however re-seat one of the control arm bushings and expects to reschedule the job in the near future. That is not necessarily how I would have proceeded but I am having difficulty getting a mechanic in the area who can give me the attention I need. I should have just provided bushings in case we needed. Good point...each time I do a job on the car I get closer and closer to buying my own service shop...

Last edited by georgemcnally; 08-31-2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-31-2014, 01:48 PM
Received 12,737 Likes on 6,379 Posts

Hi George,

I know there are other members of this forum who live in Michigan. Perhaps one of them will offer the name of a good independent Jag mechanic. On our '93 XJ40, which is very similar to the X300, I've replaced virtually every bushing in both the front and rear suspension, and I agree that the difference in ride and handling is remarkable. We're still on the original road springs, but almost every other wear part in the suspension has been replaced. Below are links to photos of some of the work I've done. Perhaps they will be of some help as you begin your rear end project:

Front Suspension:
Welcome to Jag-lovers - Members Photo Viewing Page

Rear Suspension

Cheers,

Don

The following 6 users liked this post by Don B:
93SB (11-07-2022), LnrB (09-06-2014), MountainMan (09-02-2014), panagiotis (09-01-2014), plums (08-31-2014), RJ237 (08-31-2014) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-01-2014, 05:21 AM
Received 350 Likes on 224 Posts

my daimler x300 had its original front shocks, stamped "Bilstein - Jaguar - Germany"
They are not replacable, but generic ones are available (not quite the same spec)

I had mine rebuilt by a Bilstein-trained shock guy in Auckland NZ

I would recommend a rebuild to original spec.

Old 09-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Don...Excellent...thats all I can say...I lived in Hermitage for some time recently. We spent some time in Franklin as well because we became members at the YMCA of Middle Tennessee and learned where we would like to live by visiting all of the Y's. Your climate is just nice enough to work on the cars year round isn't it? I dont expect to get my rear end done so thoroughly and will be satisfied to just get the strut assembly done top to bottom. I am not in a position to tear it down although I look forward to that day. for now I will just marvel at your photo's. How long did it take chronologically? We are thinking about getting an XJ convertible to use during the down time when I do get to the rebuild. Thanks so much for the extensive lay out on the job. Very nice.

Old 10-30-2022, 01:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by georgemcnally
It took a long time to finally get it right but by replacing my front shocks and springs we were able to get close to the original ride of this beautiful car. What took the longest was finding a mechanic who knew how to do it. If anyone has questions about my experience and the engineering involved, I believe I have a good answer. So, feel free to drop a line on this site and I will share data and such. I cant believe the improvement, not only to the ride, but the overall performance of the car. The sagging suspension was causing many problems through out the car including engine and more. I urge you start with the suspension when taking concern for minor and major issues that are occurring. Once you get the posture correct you can begin to go after other items more confidently. This week I am going after the rear suspension and restoring it as well. "Long Live 95-96-97 XJ's
Hello, I was wondering how much the shop charged you for the front shocks and struts replacement, just in labor. Also how many book hours that job "required". Currently looking to replace mine, those damn bushings are a pain. Also, does anyone have a preference on bushing type? Perhaps something that lasts longer!

Old 10-31-2022, 05:27 AM
Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

I have only recently been lucky enough to join the fraternity of x300 owners.
My XJR has been lowered by a PO. Although it does look cool, I was extremely disappointed that the ride is nothing like what should be expected from a Jaguar. Harsh and jolting are words that spring to mind.
I will, eventually, return it to stock and once again feel like a King wafting along. 8-)

Old 10-31-2022, 08:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 884 Likes on 734 Posts

There is a recommendation from Motorcarman ( Bob ) to use OEM for the front shock lower bushings as per his experience the aftermarket brands last very little

If you look through the bushing, you might see daylight through the bushing like mine

I need to order some myself a soon as we finalize a good source from this forum's contributors

See item # 13 x 2 / Jaguar part # CAC75851

Genuine Wishbone-upper And Lower For Jaguar Xj 1995 - 1997 (from 720125 To 812255) Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

There are different shock ratings for the V 12 and supercharged models (stiffer B6 vs. B4 )

Definitely order the upper donut bushings item # 8 x 4

Genuine Road Spring And Damper-front For Jaguar Xj 1995 - 1997 (from 720125 To 812255) Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

For the shocks this a page from a old Bilstein catalogue

Last edited by Parker 7; 10-31-2022 at 09:36 AM.
Bosco15 (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 04:04 PM
Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Parker 7
There is a recommendation from Motorcarman ( Bob ) to use OEM for the front shock lower bushings as per his experience the aftermarket brands last very little

If you look through the bushing, you might see daylight through the bushing like mine

I need to order some myself a soon as we finalize a good source from this forum's contributors

See item # 13 x 2 / Jaguar part # CAC75851

Genuine Wishbone-upper And Lower For Jaguar Xj 1995 - 1997 (from 720125 To 812255) Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

There are different shock ratings for the V 12 and supercharged models (stiffer B6 vs. B4 )

Definitely order the upper donut bushings item # 8 x 4

Genuine Road Spring And Damper-front For Jaguar Xj 1995 - 1997 (from 720125 To 812255) Classic | Jaguar Land Rover Classic Parts

For the shocks this a page from a old Bilstein catalogue

superb information.