XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

X300 TPS Installation, help please.... FIXED

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Brutal
you dont need IDS or to go to the dealer. You pin the signal wires with a dvom and turn it(the TPS) to get a .6volt reading at idle.
what is it "dvom", where I should get 0.6 volt, on which wire? I will change my sensor soon, but how setup right? can you explained please about 0.6 volts?

Old 10-27-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stalling xj6 1995 daimler

You mean that i can use that hitachi throttle body of tahoe car on xj6 jaguar 1995 ive gone through your link
i have problem when my car is stationary the rpm goes up and down and even suddenly car stalls

Please do reply me

Old 06-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts
Default I used this method to great benefit!

Originally Posted by Brutal
you dont need IDS or to go to the dealer. You pin the signal wires with a dvom and turn it(the TPS) to get a .6volt reading at idle. And yes you dont need the engine running or the throttle body on the car. Just the sensor hooked up and the key on, and throttle at the idle position. You can turn the TB over to access it easier
THIS SAVED MY BUTTOCKS. I was chasing down a fuel trim/low pwr issue for months. My throttle cable has a bit too much slack and when I was adjusting it I think I threw off the throttle blade at rest from there and it all went down hill. I even had the IDS reset twice by an independent Jaguar guy for $40 but to no avail.

I took the throttle body of but kept the sensor plugged in. Vice gripped the coolant line on the front side as well. Then I put a paperclip into the back of the middle of the three wires. Grounded to the manifold with clamps on both end so I could adjust the TPS and fixing screws until I fined tuned and tightened. I manually loosened the two screws holding the TPS on an there is PLENTY of play to adjust to .6V at rest. It took me a minute to get the two screws tighten up at exactly without throwing off the reading, especially since one of mine is stripped and I had to use small vice grips on it.

Kinda fun, I've never been electrical all at but after this post and few others peppered in, I fixed my own car, again, it feels good. I know now I never need to go pay for IDS access for this issue at least. 02 orientation is another story.

The following users liked this post:
al_roethlisberger (06-11-2016)
Old 06-11-2016, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by SD96XJ6L
THIS SAVED MY BUTTOCKS. I was chasing down a fuel trim/low pwr issue for months. My throttle cable has a bit too much slack and when I was adjusting it I think I threw off the throttle blade at rest from there and it all went down hill. I even had the IDS reset twice by an independent Jaguar guy for $40 but to no avail.

I took the throttle body of but kept the sensor plugged in. Vice gripped the coolant line on the front side as well. Then I put a paperclip into the back of the middle of the three wires. Grounded to the manifold with clamps on both end so I could adjust the TPS and fixing screws until I fined tuned and tightened. I manually loosened the two screws holding the TPS on an there is PLENTY of play to adjust to .6V at rest. It took me a minute to get the two screws tighten up at exactly without throwing off the reading, especially since one of mine is stripped and I had to use small vice grips on it.

Kinda fun, I've never been electrical all at but after this post and few others peppered in, I fixed my own car, again, it feels good. I know now I never need to go pay for IDS access for this issue at least. 02 orientation is another story.

Can you more clearly explain how your connected your pins to the back of the TPS connector, which pin was grounded and where the digital multi meter was connected?

Old 06-11-2016, 09:38 PM
Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Al, I tested all three ports from the back side, I had paperclips going thru the back of each of them. I realized when measuring, that the middle one is your signal wire.

I straightened one end of paper clip and inserted it into the backside of the retaining clip until I could tell it was past the insulation. Then I clipped my red terminal to the rest of the paper clip. For the black terminal I used the front of the intake manifold where it is thin enough to attach the clip to. I found when testing that I got better ground there than the ground located below the air filter, behind the headlight or clipped to the ground on the far left of the drivers (US) side bulkhead behind the hood catch.