XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

XJR mirrors and steering column dead.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Received 10,313 Likes on 6,823 Posts
Default XJR mirrors and steering column dead.

OK, carrying on from the earlier thread on memory seats mis-having, and sorted, thank you.

Yesterday, driving the beast to the Indy for front suspension bush replacement.

Needed a "pit stop", so key out of the Ignition:
Drivers seat traveled to full back, check.
Steering wheel moved "in and up", check.

Returned to the car, inserted the key, seat stayed where is was, NORMAL for this car, but the steering wheel failed to move, oops.

Running late, so drove on as was.

Tried the mirrors, DEAD, tried the column with the Auto function OFF, still nothing.

Pressed "memory 1" got the chime, whoopee.

Soooo, what could possibly have happened, a multipin plug fell apart?, a series of fuses blew?, or something more sinister? Maybe ET has taken up residence?

I wont have access to the car for 3 days, so I am just getting ready for the poke and sort.

Maybe something common, like, "follow the Blue wire, until it goes Green, and look at that joiner" type of scenario. Wishful thinking, but ya gotta try.

Thanks in advance as always.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 06-17-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Sorry, I have no idea, but will be interested to hear the solution in case this every happens to me.

Hopefully just a fuse....

The following users liked this post:
Grant Francis (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 12:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,087 Posts

There is from what I have read somewhere on this forum a reset for the specific systems ( as one group ) of windows , seats , mirrors , and steering column . This is different then the whole car " hard reset " where you pull and connect the battery cables together as you have the key in the on position . In the other systems you press certain buttons on the radio control head and does a reset on the 4 systems mentioned . I am assuming you have to have the original factory Jaguar control head and also I assume you have to later hold each window up button afterword for a period of time so it relearns it's up stop position .

What I found on mine was the black ground wire on the driver side window control unit had unlocked from the connector . There is a long plastic bar that locks all wires into the connector that had come loose . Reseated lock and now everything is fine . Recommend checking the connector on the Body Control Module as a central to everything starting point . Slightly tug on each wire . You may or may not know the the BCM is located on the passenger side behind the glovebox mounted in a vertical bracket with the BCM connector on the forward side facing away from you ( Bonehead Engineer ). The BCM may slide down out of the bracket for better access ( ? ) .

Fuses to check will take some time ( Fathers Day ) as I pull up the Wiring Schematic so look for not a new reply to this post but an edit to this reply

Hope this helps .

Thanks , Parker

Grant Francis (06-18-2017)
Old 06-18-2017, 07:06 PM

Thanks guys.

I spent most of yesterday with the wiring schematics, and there are 2 fuses that I see so far.

#13 on the LH heelboard
#1 on the RH heelboard.

The windows and seats all work fine, so it appears to be specific to "column/mirrors" at this stage.

The under dash trim on the RH side, RHD, was not fitted correctly when I picked the car up, and I thought little of it at the time. But now, someone has been in there for some reason. Maybe this, or something different, only time will tell.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:02 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Hope I'm wrong...but

sounds to me like the mirror/column module is KAPUT....

Grant Francis (06-19-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 06:46 AM
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

I had no tilt no telescopic on my 1995 XJR checked fuses, three or four times, change tilt/telescopic button on steering column, nothing then changed Mirror/steering column ECU buried in left side of dash. That did the trick.
Snowball

The following 2 users liked this post by snowball:
Grant Francis (06-19-2017), littlelic69 (06-19-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 01:29 AM
Veteran Member

The column extension / tilt ECU should be under the steering gear predicated on left or right steering configuration . TRW brand marked box .

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-20-2017 at 01:31 AM.
Grant Francis (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Penelope
The column extension / tilt ECU should be under the steering gear predicated on left or right steering configuration . TRW brand marked box .
Thanks again.

The fact it worked faultlessly all the way home a few weeks ago, and then a simple pit stop has it go AWOL is soooooo Un-Jaguar.

However, it might answer why the under dash trim was hanging down when I picked it up.

When I get it back, 3 more days due to some parts stuff up, and then I will get into the fuses etc, and also check for escaped smoke. I have a small amount in the special jar if needed.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 AM
Veteran Member

If you have trouble removing the ECU you might put some Vegemite on it and it will just jump out and from a scene from a movie " Run Forest Run " you may not hear from it again except for a immature tweet at 3 in the morning . Make Australia Great Again , don't let him visit .

Attached Thumbnails XJR mirrors and steering column dead.-579987391_o.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-20-2017 at 07:27 AM.
Grant Francis (06-20-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 03:22 AM

AHA, breakfast of champions, washed down with a JD on ice.

Cant wait for breaky tomorrow.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:32 AM
Veteran Member

What I found with mine with a battery drain caused by frozen column not allowing the car to go to sleep was the position poteintiometer sensor was dragging and the retract motor was not strong enough to overcome this and stayed frozen ( awake ) . I read somewhere that there was a TSB to put in a stronger motor other then the common broken telescoping cable . I took apart the potentiometer cleaned out the old lubricate and used a lighter thinner one throwing away the wave washer . This can be done without any disassembly of the primary components for the potentiometer just pops off the lowest position motor you see on the very bottom . To jumper the motor to see if runs or the cable will cause alot of high current arching so I recommend making a jumper wire that has the pinch side of the blade connector so you don't damage the blades on the motor assembly . I just used a battery charger as a power source . You'll need to " clock " it as you put it back together

I had one bite of Vegemite once while I was there and I immediately knew my Vegemite days were over , not fit for the Roos . They much preferred the slices of bread as about 30 of them came hopping over from a distance at the Kangaroo Ranch up by Cairns . Kinda was way cool .

Attached Thumbnails XJR mirrors and steering column dead.-jaguar-ds-l1600-11-.jpg  

Last edited by Lady Penelope; 06-21-2017 at 09:51 AM.
Grant Francis (06-21-2017)
Old 06-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

mine also does the same thing

Old 07-02-2017, 03:54 AM

IT WORKS ONCE MORE.

Updating as promised and required on the Forum.

During the weeks, I have dismantled the dash area around the column, and the console.

Spent DAYS reading and studying the wiring diagrams. That was FUN.

Looking for damaged wire/s etc, NONE found.

EVERY fuse replaced. NONE blown.

Every relay removed and bench tested, no matter if it was/is related to the issues or not. ALL passed.

Found:

J Gate switch pack (Linear Switch) was flaky. The Red P could be intermitant, so off with it, clean it out, and reset as per spec.

The "key in" switch of the Ignition Switch was flaky, so off with the electrical section, and clean the contacts, and refitted, sweet.

Tested the toggle switch for the column, all working to spec.

Door trim off, and tested all the mirror switch operations, faultless.

Only thing left, that TRW module, JNA2110BA. Sourced a s/hand that was tested and working, and plugged it in.

Column moved instantly, and continued to do what it should manually, and since the "memory settings" are NOT volatile, did what the previous car settings were.

Mirrors also back to normal.

Soooo, now to put all the shiit back where it belongs. It will be fun.

THANK YOU to everyone involved.

Last edited by Grant Francis; 07-02-2017 at 03:59 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Grant Francis:
aholbro1 (07-02-2017), b1mcp (07-02-2017), Scotlad (07-02-2017)