XJ XJ6 / XJR6 ( X300 ) 1995-1997

What is "flash programming of AJ16 ECM"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
Default What is "flash programming of AJ16 ECM"?

According to STE11-06 service bulletin, the Mongoose (and other J2534 VCI devices) have limited support for X300. The document specifically says "Vehicle Line fully supported apart from flash programming of AJ16, AJ26, and AJ27 ECMs."

I am wondering what this "flash programming" or AJ16 ECM actually means. I did not know that you could program the old GEMS 6 ECM, I thought you needed to swap EEPROM chips if you needed to change the firmware. I also know that some adaptive values (like TPS resistance at idle and at WOT) are stored in the ECM NVRAM.

Does anybody know if I can use Mongoose to reset the ECM after replacing the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor)? I called drew tech and they don't know. I am yet to hear an explanation from Topix folks.

I need to chase out my high and rough idle issue. I checked the compression and it is good. My car has an exahaust leak, so I figured I need to fix that first, otherwise O2 sensor readings will be off and the car will run like crap once it heats up.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 976 Likes on 662 Posts

Flash programming probably only means the TPS calibration and the O2 sensor orientation. I have not heard of other ECU settings that are "flashable." Also I've not heard of a tool that can accomplish this other than the factory PDU unit and the WDS or IDS software as described in the recent threads here.

The factory (and dealers?) could flash the body processor module and other modules, to affect their operation according to market locations.

It could very well be that your troubles are due to these two possibly incorrect calibrations. In the past, I would bet that given your symptoms, a dealer would first calibrate the ECU, and go from there.

The following users liked this post:
juha_teuvonnen (08-11-2014)
Old 08-11-2014, 08:49 AM
Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
Flash programming probably only means the TPS calibration and the O2 sensor orientation. I have not heard of other ECU settings that are "flashable." Also I've not heard of a tool that can accomplish this other than the factory PDU unit and the WDS or IDS software as described in the recent threads here.
According to XJRguy's comment in this thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...3/#post1033414, there are 3 adaptations:

1. AMFR (Air Mass Flow Rate) and FMFR (Fuel Mass flow rate).
2. TPS (Throttle Position Sensor, aka Throttle potentiometer) calibration
3. Oxygen sensor orientation (clearing it forces ECM to discover which oxygen sesor is plugged into which harness).

I was told that IDS can reset 2 and 3, but not 1. According to him you need PDU to reset 1, and I am not sure where to find a shop with a running PDU at this day and age.

I am wondering if resetting 2 and 3 in combination with fitting a new TPS will force a reset of 1? I am also curious about the differences in ECM and firmware versions. I have 2 other Jag ECMs, one of them is from either 96 or 97. I can fit that, reset and see what happens.

Originally Posted by SleekJag12
It could very well be that your troubles are due to these two possibly incorrect calibrations. In the past, I would bet that given your symptoms, a dealer would first calibrate the ECU, and go from there.
The car ran with exhaust leak for a while, the previous owner tinkered with it quite a bit before he gave up. He cleaned the Throttle body (I am not sure whether the TPS is still alive). The adaptations are most likely completely off. A reset is the first thing I will do once I repair the known mechanical problems.

I ordered a tool from "british diagnostics" on ebay from a vendor that has good reviews so far. He ships it with a VM which should take care of various problems related to incorrect software setup. We'll see how it is going to work.

I am wondering if modern tools like autologic or auto enginuity can reset the adaptives (ideally all three) for X300.

Old 08-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

It is not possible to "flash" new software or calibration in an GEMS6 ECU for a Jaguar AJ16 engine. It is possible to initiate a throttle adaptation or lambda sensor orientation because these setting are contained in NVRAM. These functions can be performed by jaguar main dealer service diagnostic tools and also some aftermarket tools such as Autologic. The fuelling adaptions change automatically with vehicle use provided the throttle has adapted and the lambda sensors are working correctly. It should not be necessary reset the fuelling adaption to zero, though this may be possible with some Jaguar diagnostic equipment, if the fuelling adaption routines are running correctly. However, the adapeted value can become "stuck" if the ECU does not recognise an idle condition, as the fuelling adaptions require alternating periods of steady cruises and idles in order to reach a stabilised fuelling adaption.

RJ237 (08-15-2014)
Old 08-15-2014, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by XJRengineer
It is not possible to "flash" new software or calibration in an GEMS6 ECU for a Jaguar AJ16 engine. It is possible to initiate a throttle adaptation or lambda sensor orientation because these setting are contained in NVRAM. These functions can be performed by jaguar main dealer service diagnostic tools and also some aftermarket tools such as Autologic. The fuelling adaptions change automatically with vehicle use provided the throttle has adapted and the lambda sensors are working correctly. It should not be necessary reset the fuelling adaption to zero, though this may be possible with some Jaguar diagnostic equipment, if the fuelling adaption routines are running correctly. However, the adapeted value can become "stuck" if the ECU does not recognise an idle condition, as the fuelling adaptions require alternating periods of steady cruises and idles in order to reach a stabilised fuelling adaption.

Curious, on average, how long does it take for the ECU to learn and adapt?

Old 08-16-2014, 08:25 AM
Received 649 Likes on 309 Posts

A single journey if it had enough cruises and idles in it.

Old 07-03-2017, 12:49 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I will add to this conversation just to confirm that the AutoLogix program will reset the throttle position sensor and reorient the O2 sensors. My car ran with a high idle and 12 mpg till George at Don's Jaguar reset it. It ran great for the next 8 months. Unfortunately it has gone back to the same poor idle characteristics just this weekend.

Has anybody has success with Auto Enginuity and the Jaguar service pack?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 672 Likes on 495 Posts
Question Where can one find AutoLogix software?

Originally Posted by Hitch
I will add to this conversation just to confirm that the AutoLogix program will reset the throttle position sensor and reorient the O2 sensors. My car ran with a high idle and 12 mpg till George at Don's Jaguar reset it. It ran great for the next 8 months. Unfortunately it has gone back to the same poor idle characteristics just this weekend.

Has anybody has success with Auto Enginuity and the Jaguar service pack?

Can you provide a little more information on where one can find the AutoLogix program? Do you have a URL?

Old 07-03-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 903 Likes on 511 Posts

Al - I'm assuming the post is referring to AutoLogic. It's a high end non manufacturer specific diagnostic system similar in function (and price !!!) to Snap On, Bosch etc.

Not really feasible for us play time mechanics.

al_roethlisberger (07-04-2017)