XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

00 XJR Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Question 00 XJR Question

Dear Fellow Members,

I am looking at 00 XJR that has close to 90K miles. The car appears to be in pristine condition and drives very well, but I will be having a qualified mechanic do a pre-purchase inspection. I am searching on threads to read up on common things that need to be looked at for this year and one main item I am picking up is checking if the secondary chain tensioners have been replaced with the newer ones. Are there other common items that I should specifically ask the mechanic to check? How much should I be looking at to pay for parts and labor to have the secondary chain tensioners changed?

Also, I know the colour is a personal choice, but the one I am looking at is white in colour. What are everyones thoughts on a white XJR for a gent?

Many thanks you in advance for your input.

Last edited by Britrover; 06-29-2014 at 05:14 AM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:07 PM

Below is the complete list I was able to find. Any other items I should have specifically looked into? At 90K, will the vehicle require a major service like Mercedes - changing the spark plugs, transmission fluid change etc?

1) Engine - Secondary Timing Chain Tensioners

2) Engine - Throttle Body

3) Transmission - Fractured "Forward Drum"

4) Transmission - Valve Body

5) Transmission - TCM (Transmission Control Module)

Kind regards

Old 06-29-2014, 01:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,620 Likes on 874 Posts

Well I have an 2001 XJ8 and keep detailed information on its repair and maintenance.

I compiled the following list of items (some only pertain to XJR and others pertain to both XJ8 and XJR). XJR only items (2 fuel pumps and mercedes transmission).

2000 XJR
2 fuel pumps -primary and secondary (when needed kicks in)
might need to replace pumps when and if they fail (keep enough fuel in tank to kept pumps cool & lubricated)

Mercedes transmission bullet-proof (no issues with with forward disk failure or valve body)
might need to replace linear gear switch if it fails

Throttle body sensors issues - might require throttle body rebuild or cleaning of throttle body and/or cleaning throttle body wiring contacts

Secondary Tensioners - need to replace them with 3rd generation ones if not already replaced

Water pump issue - may need to replace with new designed one

Low Coolant Warning - is either actual low coolant level or the sensor float is stuck inside of the expansion tank and needs to be unstuck by stirring the brake fluid inside the tank

Engine overheating issue - Do not continue to drive when it or if it occurs - also Temperature gauge does not always give correct reading.

ABS brakes Module failure - need to remove module and solder cracked pins inside module when and if you get DTC warnings about it

Other warnings displayed such brakes and cruise control issues - may need to adjust the brake fluid level in the brake reservoir (about one half an inch below the top)
also may need to replace brake light switch located on the steering column near brake peddle

Check and clean abs wheel speed sensors at least every few years (or sooner if abs warnings are displayed)

Have battery tested to see if it has full voltage - low voltage will cause a lot of electrical issues with the various electrical motors & switches (seat movement, steering column tilt, windows movement, etc)

Issues with rear lights & brake lights - check wiring (broken wires) in the right hinge area of the trunk (boot) lid

Front driver door check (device that holds door open in 2 different positions) it will fail and need to replace before it breaks the door area where it is located

SCLM (Security Control and Lock Module) will need to be either repaired or replaced if it fails - issue usually causes the rear brake light(s) to stop working.

Cabin Heating system failure - clogged heating system requires heating system flushes (at least 2 to 3 times to clear clogs) also may require replacing the aux heater pump and climate control module

Buy an extra plastic bleeder hose to be on hand when you will need to replace it (if old existing plastic hose breaks)

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 06-29-2014 at 02:24 AM.
Old 06-29-2014, 05:15 AM

Many thanks for your input Jim.