XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

1998 XJ8 Suddenly started overheating

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 04:15 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts
Default RE: 1998 XJ8 Suddenly started overheating

WOW, my starting this same thing after my tune up a week or so ago too... I notice the fan running alot mor than usual after the car is turned off...The the car started to run hot as your car, turn on the heater to high andruns cooler!I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow...

Old 12-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ;7484
Hello.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunatly, I do not think it is the thermostat, unless the new one I just purchased is also defective.

Could the water pump be at fault if my heat works perfectly? I would assume that if the water pump failed, I would not get any heat either??

Thanks.

Hello, did you ever he this problem solved? I'm having a similar issue after changing my thermostat housing.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:47 AM
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm sure that others more knowledgeable than me will correct me if necessary, but I'm fairly sure I have read in one of the threads on the forum that it is very easy to put the thermostat in the 'wrong way round' so that although it opens as the water heats up, it still impedes the flow. Check out various threads about thermostat replacement on here.

Old 12-20-2016, 05:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by nigelmay
I'm sure that others more knowledgeable than me will correct me if necessary, but I'm fairly sure I have read in one of the threads on the forum that it is very easy to put the thermostat in the 'wrong way round' so that although it opens as the water heats up, it still impedes the flow. Check out various threads about thermostat replacement on here.
It is some months ago, but if I remember well, there is only one recess in the tower for the jiggle pin to position in, and this prevents the thermostat from being fitted upside down or reverse.
The x308 should have a thermostat with such jiggle pin.

My new alloy tower came with a new thermostat, but I can imagine a non correct aftermarket one could be fitted reverse.
Anyway, checking this, and the working of a thermostat, and specially the old against the new) is a 5 min job.

And the x308 is fitted with a separate heater pump, so yes, you can have heat in the cabin without the waterpump pushing.

However, I suspect this to be thermostat related, and should NEVER drive the car while there are any overheating issues, not even in an emergency.

Last edited by ericjansen; 12-20-2016 at 09:40 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 250 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by ;7441
Hello to all.

First of all, I am a new Jag owner, and purchased the car literally a week ago.

The car ran perfectly in all respects, with no errors or issues.....>>>>

......>>>>>The passenger's side radiator hose gets hot to the touch, while the driver's side radiator hose (and radiator itself) remains cold.

Please, any assistance would be greatly appreciated.[/align][/align]thank you[/align][/align][/align]
When you changed the coolant did you just drain it?
Did you reverse flush the system?
Engine and radiator separately with thermo removed?
This sounds like a case of blocked radiator.
Was the car running normally before you touched it?
Will the car sit and idle for 15 mins and the rad. fans will come on?