XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 xj8- ongoing issues- any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 06:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2001 xj8- ongoing issues- any help appreciated

Hey, my name is Sean, I bought my first car this year, and it is obviously a 2001 Jaguar xj8. I quickly found out that buying used car in america is like buying iphones on ebay, sometimes you get just a box. I fixed the first few things, like the exhaust needed welded back onto the muffler, broken face plate for a few bits of trim.

The other issues I haven't figured out yet. First, My radio won't work... I called Jag and got a code using my VIN but that didnt work seeing as the radio was an exchange unit. So i got the serial code from the radio casing and called Jag again, this time I was told "there is no code for that radio" he said he checked the jaguar database and there i no code available, so all I can get is a loud antenna noise (needs oiled) and a screen that can only display "ENTER CODE".

I get ASC/TRAC not available messages every now and then but I am told I just need to clean the sensors because there is no rhyme or reason for when they come on.

I once got a "gearbox fault" message and i struggled to move from a dead stop but that went away after letting the car sit in the parking lot for about an hour(It started when I was reversing and the wheel got stuck on my driveway) but it hasn't happened again since.

There is a sound when I move from a stop (usually at traffic lights) it sounds like a fan missing a blade but my dad thinks it is the power steering somehow (My wheel squeaks when turning left)

When I checked the car out at the dealership, all the buttons on the drivers door panel worked, wing mirrors, windows, etc. But they had to take the panel off to fix the handle (cable had snapped) but since then, the rear passenger window button is the only button that works and it only operates the drivers side window (each window works individually, fine). I thought maybe they just plugged things in the wrong way but I checked and its a single pin connector that cant be plugged in any other way, so how the hell did they get mixed up?

If I think of any other issues, I will post. Thank you in advance for anyone that can shine some light on my problems.

Old 10-06-2015, 08:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I see it is your first post.
I am sure someone will chime in, requesting you to introduce yourself, and making you familiar with this site, so I will stick to the technical.

On the radio, I cant help you, you will need to push Jaguar harder to help you there.
Otherwise try it with an other dealer.

The ASC/TRAC and Gearbox message might be triggered by the battery.
These cars are very sensitive for voltage, and anything not perfect can set off strange things.
You might want to check the battery, especially if it maintains it voltage under load.

Finally, The driver door panel is an easy one, and caused by the disconnection.
Do a 'hard reset' on the battery (while you are there to check voltage, unplug the cable from the minus of the battery, then touch that cable for 10-30 sec on the positive of the battery.
It might sound strange, but you 'empty' the electric system, which then will reset itself after you connect the battery again.
Guaranteed success on that one!

Good luck with your car, they are great machines.

E.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Don B (10-06-2015), kamo2x (10-12-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts
The following users liked this post:
Don B (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 09:01 AM
Veteran Member
Received 370 Likes on 254 Posts

If the radio is set to "U.S." in the menu system it should not need a code. But, you probably need the code to go in and change it to U.S. I have heard some people claim their U.S. units needed a code, but most, including mine, do not need one.

There are some services on ebay that claim they can provide you with the code if you give them your radio serial number. Not sure how reliable they are but it's usually well under $20.

Don B (10-06-2015)
Old 10-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

Just on a chance: check the glove box; the radio code is supplied with the owner's manual and related materials.

+1 on doing a hard reset at the battery. Might solve two problems at once. Had the mystical TRAC ASC message: tightened the battery cables solved the problem. While you are at it, check the ground cables for corrosion. A shot of WD40 helps.

For the radio, check the antenna to make sure it is plugged in.

Don B (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 12:39 AM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

+1 on checking for corrosion on your grounds, but I personally would not use WD40 since it leaves behind a thin oily residue that adds resistance to an electrical connection, and the point of cleaning the corrosion is to reduce resistance to a minimum. Better to use zero-residue contact cleaner spray (CRC is one brand carried by many auto parts shops).

Cheers,

Don

Jhartz (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:00 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by harvest14
If the radio is set to "U.S." in the menu system it should not need a code. But, you probably need the code to go in and change it to U.S. I have heard some people claim their U.S. units needed a code, but most, including mine, do not need one.

There are some services on ebay that claim they can provide you with the code if you give them your radio serial number. Not sure how reliable they are but it's usually well under $20.

Never had a problem getting the radio code from the service I posted about a few months ago. Need to get the radio out of the dash to get the S/N, but, it was accurate and unlocked the radio(s) I have as shelf spares.

This site worked for me:

http://www.radiocode.ivgsoft.com/

Last edited by bdboyle; 10-07-2015 at 09:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by bdboyle:
Don B (10-07-2015), Jhartz (10-07-2015), rocklandjag (10-12-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 12:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The hard reset on the battery fixed the drivers door panel, Thanks guys, and also my brakes work a lot better too, I felt the ABS was very jerky but now a lot softer. But I still get the ASC/TRAC message every now and then. I have disconnected the radio and plugged everything back in, every connection is securely fitted so it isn't the antenna.

I bought this car used so there is no literature to be found. No handbook, nothing.

The battery connections are tight and corrosion free, the voltage is about 12.6 at idle and goes up to about 13+ under load.

Thanks again for all your help guys.

Don B (10-16-2015)
Old 10-12-2015, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You can download the manual from the Sticky on the forum page, but you may need more posts before you are allowed to do so.

The ASC/TRAC fault can have many causes, from dirty sensors to bad connections. If you use the search function and check the DIY Sticky you should find assistance, but having the stored codes read by a shop that has the necessary software may be quicker.

If the ASC/TRAC flashes when taking corners in a spirited manner, it may be just that the system is functioning correctly and just letting you know that you're pushing the limits.

I would suggest that you go to the USER CP and set up a signature for your posts that includes your car year and mileage to make it easier for others to assist.

Don B (10-16-2015)