XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

2001 XJR Light throttle

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 06:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 XJR Light throttle

Is there any way of increasing the throttle pressure required?

I find it too light and have keep my heel well back to compensate.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

In the old days, one would simply add another spring to the throttle actuator on the carb... and tech inspection at any racing organization - autocross, slalom, etc., would require dual springs in case one broke while on the course. Can the same be done with the throttle body?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

alldatadiy.com lists a procedure for adjusting the accelerator pedal, but, as far as I can tell, it does not address the issue of pedal resistance. Hopefully one of the Jag techs will be able to give you a definitive answer.
________

1999 XJR

Last edited by joycesjag; 11-25-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,167 Likes on 1,611 Posts

It seems at least two other people have found the throttle to be too light.

Is there any update on a workaround/fix for this? An optional "heavy duty" spring perhaps?

An additional problem is relocating the gas pedal after lifting off on the highway. If your shoe is not placed just right, it seems the shoe can hang up against the carpet and prevent getting on the throttle again, just when you need it.

Both problems result in the need to constantly think about the gas pedal when it should be just a natural flow. As it is, the gas pedal always seems to be too light or fighting back. Not an ideal situation.

The gas pedal is not broken, the throttle return spring is apparently not broken, and the cable is adjusted properly. It just doesn't want to all work together as a team.

Any words of wisdom out there?

++

Last edited by plums; 05-03-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Driving shoes? the cars are designed to be used by a broad set of people, from little old ladies to clydesdales.... I wonder if adjusting the overmats so they don't go near the pedal.

I doubt there's an update or replacement for the throttle spring it would be a redesign of the pedal to throttle and parts in between.

I've never had an issue with the throttle pedal on the 3 I've owned. But I never use cruise control, and always have my foot on it. I do find the controls light compared to my M3 BMW, power steering, brake and throttle. It's a finesse thing, and takes a few miles to adjust to the Jaguar. I did install a kit to switch the power steering assistance off for higher speeds, this is useful. But found nothing for the throttle pedal unfortunately.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Sean B
Driving shoes? the cars are designed to be used by a broad set of people, from little old ladies to clydesdales.... I wonder if adjusting the overmats so they don't go near the pedal.

I doubt there's an update or replacement for the throttle spring it would be a redesign of the pedal to throttle and parts in between.

I've never had an issue with the throttle pedal on the 3 I've owned. But I never use cruise control, and always have my foot on it. I do find the controls light compared to my M3 BMW, power steering, brake and throttle. It's a finesse thing, and takes a few miles to adjust to the Jaguar. I did install a kit to switch the power steering assistance off for higher speeds, this is useful. But found nothing for the throttle pedal unfortunately.
Cruise control has never been engaged. The scenario is foot always on the pedal, but after lifting off slightly in traffic on the highway, foot maintaining contact with the pedal, it can happen subsequently that the throttle seems very hard to push down.

All of the suggested simple physical matters above have been considered as a matter of course well in advance of the posting and they are not the cause. Notably the space above the throttle is taken up by an obstruction of some sort above the carpet where it curves out above the pedal.

The restrictive space has been the subject of at least on poll on this forum. So, it is not unique to one person.

Now, it is also not a matter of "finesse" as the brake and steering are not involved. The light throttle pedal is what is preventing "finesse". As a matter of fact, the gas pedal is the odd one out of the three which further contributes to the problem.

Old 05-04-2011, 02:00 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Ah, so you have a sticky throttle pedal? again I'll be clear on the actual driving as a finesse thing, with steering, brake and throttle being considered.

I'd strip the throttle system and look at all parts, but first look at the cable, this could be the issue if the pedal is hard to press after releasing. Unhook it from the TB, and remove the cover over the brake servo/master cylinder. Feed the cable through the firewall and disconnect from the pedal assembly - then take it to the bench and lube it maybe hanging it and a very fine machine oil to run through the length of the cable shroud? Or buy a new cable.

While the cable is off, testing the pedal for any tightening of movement through it's travel. The pivot could also be lubed. Testing the return spring also for any binding up. These 3 items are the main components of the throttle, and obviously one or more are causing an issue.

Last edited by Sean B; 05-04-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member
Lightbulb

edited:

The instant cure is to take off the right shoe.

Lightness in the pedal is still a concern.

BUT ... on close examination, the factory carpet, not the factory mat, rubs against the edge of the gas pedal once depressed by say one half of full stroke. This is true even if the carpet is being pushed all the way against the transmission tunnel at the same time. So, maybe the sound deadening has to be selectively cut away to get just a bit of clearance. Or maybe the whole booster/brake/accelerator assembly has enough slack in the mounting holes to be shifted slightly to the left. The whole pedal assembly is truly worthy of a Rube Goldberg award.

A visual comparison with a RHD version is not going to work because the footwell configuration is completely different. There is no transmission tunnel on the right to interfere.

But if anyone with a LHD vehicle would care to chime in, it would be useful to hear or even see additional observations.

Last edited by plums; 05-05-2011 at 04:44 AM.