XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:24 AM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by griffplus
Now there is a Kit for the xj8 308. has anyone tried it yet?
Made by Dynamic Sounds:

Jaguar XJ8 (1998-2002) Car CD Stereo Fitting Kit Fascia, Steering Control Stalk Adaptor

Jaguar XJ8 Car CD Stereo Fascia Fitting Kit
I like the look of it, but can't QUITE tell the detail. Was hoping it would allow for more upward location of the head unit, as I'm planning a single DIN flip out DVD unit as a replacement. I have some ABS sheets kicking around that I'll likely try to work out first, only because it's $125 bucks for that thing to my door, and even the other faceplate is going to run me about $75. Awful expensive for a piece of trim, but if it comes down to it, might have to bite the bullet on that. Would love to see more installation pics and such of these kits being installed. So far all I've found are after pics, and it's really hard to tell without pulling the radio out yet, just what I'm in for. Not too many good pictures of the factory unit removed either. Guess I'll have to work on that lol

Old 03-20-2015, 11:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts
Old 03-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
I like the look of it, but can't QUITE tell the detail. Was hoping it would allow for more upward location of the head unit, as I'm planning a single DIN flip out DVD unit as a replacement. I have some ABS sheets kicking around that I'll likely try to work out first, only because it's $125 bucks for that thing to my door, and even the other faceplate is going to run me about $75. Awful expensive for a piece of trim, but if it comes down to it, might have to bite the bullet on that. Would love to see more installation pics and such of these kits being installed. So far all I've found are after pics, and it's really hard to tell without pulling the radio out yet, just what I'm in for. Not too many good pictures of the factory unit removed either. Guess I'll have to work on that lol
You are limited as to where the radio will mount; the OEM radio faceplate extends UP from the electronics body (which is a single DIN size) located at the bottom of the faceplate (look where the cassette slot is...that is the center, vertically, of the single DIN unit). Reason being that in back of the upper half of the radio, there are electronics and modules mounted inside the dash that limit how far back you can mount something. They literally used every spare space in the dash to mount things (for better or worse...).

This looks like a neat solution; I've ordered on just for giggles to see how it works and whether it is a good solution.

Of course, not too happy with thinking about loosing my cassette player in the car (not with 250+ tapes in my collection...yeah, I'm old school...)

Last edited by bdboyle; 03-20-2015 at 06:24 PM. Reason: added photo
The following users liked this post:
CharlzO (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 07:15 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

I guess it's going to come down to how much wiggle room I can manage to try to aim the aftermarket head unit slightly upwards, or whatnot. Guess I'll find out tomorrow when I dive into it. I think I've still got an old single DIN on a shelf I can use as a trial fit. Promised my girlfriend I'd get an in-dash DVD and rear monitors for the kids to use, so trying to see just how much fab work I've set myself up for lol.

Old 03-21-2015, 05:25 PM
Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CharlzO
As noted above, only a single din located at the bottom is possible. This looks like a reasonable solution and the adapter for the steering wheel controls is great. I did this conversion a few years ago but may be ready to revisit a new head. Also, mucked up the subwoofer getting the fuel take out so might as well do both...

If you go this route please post your results!

Old 03-21-2015, 08:26 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Beware the wiring harness kits for X308

Before you go forking over hard-earned USD, the wiring harness kits for the X308 do not fit that model from 2001-2003. The car is wired for premium sound even if it doesn't have the AMP, etc. The new harness comes with a wide plug but, as you can see from the picture of back of the unit earlier in the thread, the original harness has a smaller white plug (12 pin, odd configuration) and 26 pin Yellow plug. There is another thread on building your own harness with a link to instructions: There has been many posts on cha

I am currently attempting to make my own bridging harness using a MAZDA (1990-01) kit from METRA (70-7901) and trying to find the male side of the big yellow plug. The MAZDA plug fits but it looks like I need to rearrange the pins to suit the original harness.

Once I get this working I'll document it and post it (unless I just get fed up and go back to the original radio :-) ).

BTW - I think there is a way to go Double-Din without hacking up the interior behind the current unit. If you can find one of those mech-less units that is only about 3" deep then that should fit. The Parrot range or one of the new Alpine CarPlay units might do it. I am going to have to open up the inside again (probably next weekend) and I will try to remember to take a photograph of the inside with a tape measure to show how much room you have back there.

Attached Thumbnails 308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-alpine-radio-rear.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-stalk-adapter-harness-does-not-work-my-x308.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-wiring-configuration-white-12-pin-plug-01.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-wiring-configuration-white-12-pin-plug-02.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-yellow-ford-plug.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Aussie B'Stard:
grandell (03-22-2015), XJDanny (05-04-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 AM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Would love to know if you manage to fit a Parrot Asteroid Smart or similar in there. I've eyeballed them in the past, but can't haven't had the headunit out to check the exact depth available.

My thinking is still that a tablet is the best solution, like a Nexus 7, as they have readily available ROMs designed specifically for in-car applications. I'm not IT-inclined though, although a friend of mine is running one in his Legacy and LOVES it

Old 04-01-2015, 01:49 AM
Default 2002 XJ8 (X308) Stereo Replacement

I managed to complete the wiring harness conversion without hacking the original. Pictures are attached. Everything except the Antenna and the Steering Controls are working. Have to research both. I followed the instructions found on the web site (There has been many posts on cha) but with one exception - there doesn't seem to be a RED/BLUE wire attached to the YELLOW plug that goes to the ORANGE wire of the ISO plug. I tried the BLUE but that didn't work for the Antenna or the Steering Controls.

There is a not a lot of head room in behind the stereo. As has been pointed out in other threads, the ECU unit is below the stereo and the area just behind it (above the Single Din level) is blocked off. I've uploaded pictures. Sorry - forgot to measure the depth but I will have to go back in there when I figure out the RED/BLUE to ORANGE wire saga.

I installed a Pioneer DEH-X6700BT unit. I got that one because it supposedly has good voice controls for iPhone/iPod attached with BlueTooth or Wire. Seems to work OK. SIRI is a bit lacking or could be I just don't know how to talk to her and get her respond correctly.

Attached Thumbnails 308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-converted-ctsjg001.2-stalk-adapter-harness_01.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-converted-ctsjg001.2-stalk-adapter-harness_02.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-space-behind-stereo_01.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-space-behind-stereo_02.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-stereo-space-opening-faceplate-installed.jpg  

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Aussie B'Stard:
bdboyle (04-01-2015), XJDanny (05-04-2015)
Old 05-03-2015, 05:56 PM
Default Measurements: Space for 3rd party stereo in Jaguar XJ8 (2002)

I have taken out the new stereo to try and get the steering controls and power antenna working.

Attached are photos of the space with a tape measure. Looks like about 11 inches deep, 8 inches wide and 3.5 inches high.

Attached Thumbnails 308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-width.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-depth.jpg   308 Radio Installation Faceplate Adapter Kit on ebay-height.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
XJDanny (05-04-2015)