XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

7 Days to 1 year ago my fuel pump...

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 09:30 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 7 Days to 1 year ago my fuel pump...

...quit on us. Thanx to the help in this forum, I was able to check everything and ultimately determine the tank had to be pulled and a new pump installed. Now just 7-days shy of 1 year, the nightmare seems to be replaying.

Today I ran far too low on fuel while picking up my wife from work. To make it worse, we got stuck in line at the gas station and sitting on a very steep incline. I tried to level the car as much as possible, but I honestly was surprised that the big cat never started to stumble. Once at the pump, I didn't shut her down, just jumped out and added a quick $20 work of high-test.

About 6 miles down the highway she stumbled while I was passing a group of cars, then picked back up again for another mile or so then didn't fully die but wouldn't produce any power. Once pulled to the side of the road, the big cat fully stalled. Attempts to restart her resulted in her starting for a few seconds, then dying again. Just as last year, I could pump the throttle and keep her sorta running...apparently until all the pressure in the line was fully gone.

One flatbed ride home again...all relays appear to be clicking...20amp fuse is good. I swear I can hear the pump charge up when my son turns on the key. Even removed the gas cap to listen...yep, I can hear what I believe is the pump for a few seconds. However, still no start. Sounds like she wants to run, but just not getting enough fuel to do so.

Any thoughts from experts is greatly appreciated.

thanx--tom

Old 08-17-2011, 10:05 AM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosbo
...quit on us. Thanx to the help in this forum, I was able to check everything and ultimately determine the tank had to be pulled and a new pump installed. Now just 7-days shy of 1 year, the nightmare seems to be replaying.

Today I ran far too low on fuel while picking up my wife from work. To make it worse, we got stuck in line at the gas station and sitting on a very steep incline. I tried to level the car as much as possible, but I honestly was surprised that the big cat never started to stumble. Once at the pump, I didn't shut her down, just jumped out and added a quick $20 work of high-test.

About 6 miles down the highway she stumbled while I was passing a group of cars, then picked back up again for another mile or so then didn't fully die but wouldn't produce any power. Once pulled to the side of the road, the big cat fully stalled. Attempts to restart her resulted in her starting for a few seconds, then dying again. Just as last year, I could pump the throttle and keep her sorta running...apparently until all the pressure in the line was fully gone.

One flatbed ride home again...all relays appear to be clicking...20amp fuse is good. I swear I can hear the pump charge up when my son turns on the key. Even removed the gas cap to listen...yep, I can hear what I believe is the pump for a few seconds. However, still no start. Sounds like she wants to run, but just not getting enough fuel to do so.

Any thoughts from experts is greatly appreciated.

thanx--tom
Almost a year to the day, my 99 XJR did the same thing. Two new pumps, and all of a sudden a year later, the same symptoms you are describing. The pumps start up with key on, but when the car starts, the high pressure pump turns off until needed at hard acceleration. If your low pressure pump is the one that is dead, you get no fuel after the initial start.

I am currently dealing with an illness and family issues, so I have not taken the time to remove the tank again. What I did to get back on the road temporarily is to cut the wires before entering the tank and swapped them around. I now have the Low Pressure pump and High Pressure pumps swapped. This allowed the working high pressure pump to run the car at low speeds. While it's not a great fix, it does now run. The only problem is that I now have NO backup if the second pump dies. I will be stranded on the road again needing a tow. But until I get a chance to get into it again, it's running.

Old 08-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

well I can tell you what happened to me I had changed the pumps both and later had the exact same problems you are desribing pulled the tank an found much to my surprise that it was the hoses from the pumps. They were so old and being emersed in gas all the time makes em weak. Mine had burst wide open and was not able to hold any pressure. New hoses and runs perfect I used some really nice but pricey stuff from gates with green shield tech. I wouldnt just throw in autozone fuel injection hose find the best 5/16 fuel injection hose and go with it you'll be happier in the long run that you spent the extra 2 to 3 dollars a foot.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Damn... I am having a similar issue. Just replaced my pump and it stalls at random times. Ran great for awhile now it stalls or loses power.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:52 AM

Thanx for the replies and the suggestions. Unfortunately our VDP only has one pump. I say unfortunately, but in reality it is probably fortunate that we only have one pump, 'cause if we had two I'm certain they would both have gone out and doubled our expense!

Wouldn't you know it. We move our youngest son to college tomorrow morning. There goes my helper with just the right-sized hands to reach those damn fuel connections down below...and the weekend projects I had planned, just got pushed back on the priority list.

Have a good one everyone. I'll update with what I find.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
well I can tell you what happened to me I had changed the pumps both and later had the exact same problems you are desribing pulled the tank an found much to my surprise that it was the hoses from the pumps. They were so old and being emersed in gas all the time makes em weak. Mine had burst wide open and was not able to hold any pressure. New hoses and runs perfect I used some really nice but pricey stuff from gates with green shield tech. I wouldnt just throw in autozone fuel injection hose find the best 5/16 fuel injection hose and go with it you'll be happier in the long run that you spent the extra 2 to 3 dollars a foot.
This is quite possibly what I'm dealing with. I pulled the Fuel Level Sending Unit out and I can see BOTH pumps run, but the low pressure one is spraying fuel all around the bottom of the tank. I WISH I could get my hand in through the sending unit hole, but it's too small to get into and work. Either the bottom of the one pump split open, or I've got a hose broken as you mentioned. I'm hoping for the hose, but either way, it's the labor that's the problem.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi Crosbo
Since you were almost out of gas, maybe your fuel filter is filled with stuff from the bottom of the fuel tank. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter that is connected to the fuel line just before the fuel line enters the tank.

It is located above the left (driver's) rear axle. The maintenance schedule says replacement very 60,000 miles.

When I read this thread it reminded me that I will have to replace it within the next few months.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 08-17-2011 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

+1 what Jim says, there must be a blockage of some sort to kill pumps after only one year. The fuel delivery system components need a good look, tank filters, (like tea bags), fuel filter, fuel pump lines. I'll be sure to do this when the inevitable happens!

Hope you get it sorted guys. And hope Super get's fit and well soon also ;-)

Old 08-18-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
This is quite possibly what I'm dealing with. I pulled the Fuel Level Sending Unit out and I can see BOTH pumps run, but the low pressure one is spraying fuel all around the bottom of the tank. I WISH I could get my hand in through the sending unit hole, but it's too small to get into and work. Either the bottom of the one pump split open, or I've got a hose broken as you mentioned. I'm hoping for the hose, but either way, it's the labor that's the problem.

Well if you go below the car and just unhook the main fuel line from the frame connector you can pull the tank forward and down enough to get into the tank without pulling the main lines or removing the tank. I have done it several times and works like a charm.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by XJR-0220
Well if you go below the car and just unhook the main fuel line from the frame connector you can pull the tank forward and down enough to get into the tank without pulling the main lines or removing the tank. I have done it several times and works like a charm.
Thank you for this. When I get another burst of energy, I will try your suggestion and see what I can do.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by SuperSport
Thank you for this. When I get another burst of energy, I will try your suggestion and see what I can do.

Not a prob I would recommend Gates green shield 5/16s fuel injection hose its very good stuff

Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

I have not had this issue with my Jag, but I did with my Land Rover. The fuel pump died. I got a new pump and filter. I replaced the filter and it was clogged - I could not blow through it. That's what probably killed the pump. Put the new pump in the tank and a day later car died. I found that the hose inside the tank had popped off and fuel was pumping but not getting outside of the tank. I replaced the internal hose and clamps with the good stuff (F.I. quality) and now I'm good to go. I think it was Gates high pressure 5/16 I ended up with. Just throwing that out there because those internal hoses and clamps are very imporant.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
I have not had this issue with my Jag, but I did with my Land Rover. The fuel pump died. I got a new pump and filter. I replaced the filter and it was clogged - I could not blow through it. That's what probably killed the pump. Put the new pump in the tank and a day later car died. I found that the hose inside the tank had popped off and fuel was pumping but not getting outside of the tank. I replaced the internal hose and clamps with the good stuff (F.I. quality) and now I'm good to go. I think it was Gates high pressure 5/16 I ended up with. Just throwing that out there because those internal hoses and clamps are very imporant.

Yes they are people always want to cut corners but when you do and the car dies you have only yourself to blame. The internal hose needs to be quality not crap as it will not last long if it is.

Old 08-20-2011, 12:31 PM

Thanx for everyone's feedback. I was finally able to dig into this problem today. Thus far I have checked all related fuses and relays. I've also verified the pump is pumping fuel, albeit at a very low pressure.

I blew compressed air back thru the fuel line to see if perhaps an obstruction from the tank or perhaps collapsed hose might be the problem. We then primed the engine and after 3-4 attempts it started and ran smooth for 20-30 seconds or so...then appeared to starve for fuel and died. Did it again, same result.

Doubled checked the flow of fuel at the quick disconnect at the engine for when the pump first initializes and although there was flow, there wasn't much pressure...not enough to even push the stream of fuel 1/2 inch beyond the hose.

I was just about to go out and purchase a hand pump and adapter to connect to the fuel quick connect to pump the tank dry and start the tear-down...but I think i will first go pick up a new filter and replace because it is almost 2 years old. Crossing my fingers this is the EASY (although as I recall it was a PITA to change) fix that the ol' girl needs.

Old 08-20-2011, 03:46 PM

Okay, so here is the current situation. It was definitely time to change the fuel filter...the fuel that poured out on the inlet side was BLACK. It was definitely a problem or at least a contributor.

Primed the engine and it started and ran well for about 30-40 seconds then she bogged down and died. Checking the fuel pressure valve, there definitely is plenty of clean beautiful fuel available at the fuel rail. The pressure, I'm not sure but it still doesn't spray all over the place. Then again, the fuel pump only runs during the initial charge and not sure when it goes full time once the car is running.

Now I am wondering if that is the problem...pump runs for the initial charge when the key is turned on, but fails to come back on and continue to run. What can I check to see if that is the issue?

BTW, injectors appear to be firing (audible evidence), so that ruled out one thought I had.

Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 PM

End result update...

...wound up pulling tank and replacing the fuel pump. Parts store wanted to give my wife crap over the warranty...for the pump that was just days less than a year old. Claimed the original was purchased by me...even though the original receipt had my phone # listed on it. And even though I had just confirmed the warranty swap just an hour or two before. Morons! Always trying to get over on females.

Anyway, fuel pump replaced, one line repaired that I stretched too far while trying to use another tech's posted suggestion of creating just enough play to be able to work in tank...and several cuts later, the new pump whirls great and the car runs smooth...except for the leak! I'm praying in my dehydrated (working outside in 100+ heat) stupor, that I failed to properly tighten the new filter line...and didn't rip a hole in the return line going into the tank. Damn engineers, what were they thinking putting the connections in a location that any man with normal sized or larger arms cannot reach?

Anyway one more problem to solve late this afternoon when the sun is behind the trees, then I hope all will run well. During a very weak and very frustrated moment with cuts arms and fingers and premium fuel burning the cuts, dehydrated, malnourished (so much for steak dinner we had planned) I've already vowed to get rid of the girl. I recall ranting about all the great drives, smooth rides and always enjoying her beautiful lines could not make up for the BS of having to disconnect the impossible lines, work thru a hole not large enough for my now shaved arms etc. One smashed LED droplight, several very rough cuss words yelled out in the middle of the night later, I'm better and a bit more optimistic. Vandy's future in our driveway however, is still tenable.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by Crosbo
Vandy's future in our driveway however, is still tenable.
Until you take it for the first drive afterwards

Do you tend to run the tank fairly low before filling?

After reading all the tales of broken hoses and clogged filters, it seems possible that the best preventative medicine is fresh filters and keeping the tank above half full. The reasoning is that as soon as the pumps have to work hard, that's when they die.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:07 PM

Originally Posted by plums
Until you take it for the first drive afterwards
I was thinking the exact thing. Every time I have an issue and end up with skinned knuckles, I wonder if it's time to sell..., until it's fixed and I drive it again.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I feel your pain. Just finished re-installing the gas tank in mine. I took it out to clean out the old gas that has been sitting in it for about 2 years now. Luckily it was not too dirty in there but it was not fun getting the tank out and back in. I did make sure the pump ran before I put the tank back in, and I put on a brand new filter. On top of the gas, I had to contend with a layer of old gear oil that has slung all over the back from the pinion seal. Am hoping to check it out and it will be the breather issue, but I have a new pinion seal on the way if that does not fix it. I too am awaiting a much deserved drive after this baby is back up and running.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:01 AM

Jeff, I can't even get my arms up there to reach the fittings from under the car. What "route" did you use to reach the quick connects to disconnect the lines from the tank?

Quick Reply: 7 Days to 1 year ago my fuel pump...