XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

98 XJR fuel pump choices

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 06:05 PM
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Question 98 XJR fuel pump choices

I'm shopping for new fuel pumps and are overwhelmed with choice.

Pumps:
Airtex e2471 - $72
DENSO 951-0008 - $116
Fuel Injection Corp. Fuel Pump W0133-1600065 - $137
Sytec - $150
Local Dealer did not state brand - $255

Strainers:

Airtex FS175 - $10
Local Dealer did not state brand - $32

What is the original equipment pump? Does anyone have experience with any of these brands?

So far the only one i don't like is the Airtex because you have to use a wiring adapter that is provided with the pump. The others looks like they are exactly the same as the original pump from a wiring perspective.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Which one did you choose and why? About to tackle this myself.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Received 27 Likes on 4 Posts

whatever you do, do not go with airtex. my buddy put one in his car and it failed in less than a month. Also, it was much louder than the stock one. If i were you, i would go for the oem pump or something that is known to exceed the quality of oem. I'm not sure if you have ever tackled a fuel pump job on these cars; i recently have and believe me, it is not something you want to do more than once.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:04 AM

Yeah, definitely don't want a repeat performance... have already read how much fun the job is...was hoping that I could get around detaching the bottom two lines.... but I haven't found anyone who has done that successfully. Apparently they started using a different pump in 2001... so my choices are much more limited. I'll let y'all know which one I go with.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Easy way to change fuel pumps

No need to crawl under the car or disconnect fuel fittings, or even remove the tank, for that matter -

Pull the rear seatback and 'package shelf' trim, subwoofer speaker, and cut a 6 inch hole in the tray next to the speaker hole...tank access plate & pumps can then be withdrawn upwards thru hole...particularly handy if the car dies with a full tank!

Just did one, total time to having the pumps in hand = 2 hours.

If you need detailed instructions, I will provide them.

The following 3 users liked this post by bloweraddict:
leaddog11 (05-24-2011), Sonny Christopher (11-22-2018), vdpsc (12-04-2010)
Old 08-26-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel pump replacement

I had to cut an evap hose on my fuel pump to get the pump out, figuring I could just replace it. Having a hard time finding hose now. I temporarily taped with gorilla tape and clamped real good (hose is only about 3" long) but car does not seem to be getting proper fuel pressure and I am getting a strong fuel odor in cabin.
It seems logical but seeking affirmation. Is this little hose that important?

Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 AM

I had to cut one of the hoses as well. I don't understand the evaporation system in entirety, but I know that it can cause lots of headaches. I'm sure the dealer can get the hose...JPAM is a sponsor and a dealer with good dealer prices. I'm assuming you are referring to a hose outside the gas tank and on the top of the tank.... not sure how this would affect fuel pressure.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fuel pump hose

thanks for the reply.
yes, it's 1 of the hoses on top.
for now I have taped on with gorrila tape.
I let car run for about half an hour then drove it.
the fuel odor had dissipated and the car ran much smoother.
but no pick up.
it dosent seem to be missing, so I don't think is plugs.
when I changed the pump I also changed the filter.
but because I had siphoned the gas out, I test drove car at almost empty, possibly cloging the new filter. I am going to do a pressure test today. hopefully it is not a problem with the cheap pump I just installed.

Old 08-28-2010, 12:55 PM

Alright I contributed to letting this thread getting a bit off subject. Let my bring it back to the orignal topic... Fuel Pumps. I had three options. Airtex (AFE2471), Fuel Injection Corporation (W0133-1600065) and the dealer (the other parts listed in the thread did not seem to apply to my car... not sure why). I bought an Airtex and a Fuel Injection Corp pump (I have two pumps b/c its S/C). Airtex was $79 Fuel Injector Corp was $120.... I shopped around to get these prices (try parts geek or parts bin... they match prices but its a pain). Dealer was more than I wanted to pay and I fealt like the pumps really should have lasted longer than 130K miles. I would have bought two of the Fuel Inject. pump but my wiring harness fuel pump link lead connector was broken, so I soldered the link lead onto the wiring adaptor that came with the airtex pump. I would have replaced the link lead to the fuel pump but it was over $100 and it was basically two wires....

Net: I didn't really like the Airtex pump... its not an exact fit, requires you to custom cut the rubber that holds the fuel pump in its bracket. Additionally it requires you use the supplied adapter for the wiring harness. Fuel Inject. on the other had was basically identicall to the O/E and I would recomend this pump.

I bought the fuel pump sock/strainer from JPAM (mail order jag dealer) for $15 each. Airtex sells one, but it was substantially differnt from the OE and was $20 per strainer.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by dneider
Which one did you choose and why? About to tackle this myself.
I chose the airtex pumps and strainers. They have been working for about 3 months now. I am video editing a documentary on this for youtube. Be aware that the airtex is not the same shape as the OEM fuel pump. You have to use the rubber bushings supplied to kinda wedge it into the original carrier. But they work, so far. For cheep.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:39 PM

Yeah, definitely don't want a repeat performance... have already read how much fun the job is...was hoping that I could get around detaching the bottom two lines.... but I haven't found anyone who has done that successfully. Apparently they started using a different pump in 2001... so my choices are much more limited. I'll let y'all know which one I go with.
The bottom two lines are a little tough. If you have someone with small forearms to slide the detach tool up there it would be best. But i got mine off in 3 minutes is struggling with a few cuts on my arms. Its not that the lines wont come out. Its getting your arms up in there. Like someone suggested before you have to reach over the front of the diff.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by bloweraddict
No need to crawl under the car or disconnect fuel fittings, or even remove the tank, for that matter -

Pull the rear seatback and 'package shelf' trim, subwoofer speaker, and cut a 6 inch hole in the tray next to the speaker hole...tank access plate & pumps can then be withdrawn upwards thru hole...particularly handy if the car dies with a full tank!

Just did one, total time to having the pumps in hand = 2 hours.

If you need detailed instructions, I will provide them.
Are you serious? Did you cut a hole through metal or wood?

Just my opinion. I would not recommend doing this.
  • Wouldn't it make the cabin less air tight?
  • Sub-woofer wont seal and provide good sound?
  • Provide less barrier of gas entering the passenger cabin in event of a collision (think pinto).
The job really is not that bad.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by cbgbglavan
thanks for the reply.
yes, it's 1 of the hoses on top.
for now I have taped on with gorrila tape.
I let car run for about half an hour then drove it.
the fuel odor had dissipated and the car ran much smoother.
but no pick up.
it dosent seem to be missing, so I don't think is plugs.
when I changed the pump I also changed the filter.
but because I had siphoned the gas out, I test drove car at almost empty, possibly cloging the new filter. I am going to do a pressure test today. hopefully it is not a problem with the cheap pump I just installed.
Just my opinion. I would not drive the car when you have duck tape holding the fuel lines together in the trunk next to the battery and fuse box. If the duck tape would burst your car may catch fire.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:52 PM

Fuel Inject. on the other had was basically identicall to the O/E and I would recomend this pump.
Thats good to know. Ill go with the Fuel Inject. one if mine go out again. I didn't like the ghetto rigging of installing the airtex bushings either.

Old 08-28-2010, 03:28 PM

Check this other thread to see how I got the lines out at the bottom of the tank.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...t=34473&page=2

Old 02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy access hole for fuel lines

Some try , and some do, cut an access hole through the rear partial shelf (check you tube, it is there ) however I thought I would think OUTSIDE the box, still cut hole, but hole FOR fuel line access ( might be handy for checking fuel at the pump or even relieving pressure before filter replacement-who knows the possibilities- after 27 years hurting myself in tight spaces on fords I figured -WTH ) unfortunately I have not been able to remove the rear seat cushion -lol- when I do, and, if it is possible I will report back. Oh, btw, I removed my leather rear parcel shelf to find another leather parcel shelf , WT() ?