XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

ABS and ASC warning light

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 09:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS and ASC warning light

My 2000 XJR has 140,00km and she’s my daily driver.
Recently, I’ve sporadically experienced the ABS and ASC warning light turn on after a while of driving. In general, they car is in good condition and recently came back from service at the Jaguar dealer. The other day I went shopping and as I turned on the engine the same warning lights came on and remained lit up. I drove slowly out in traffic and the engine stalled once. At stoplights the engine kept on getting close to stalling several times.
I’ve read on other threads that the warning light can appear when the ABS sensors are dirty and should be cleaned. However, just dirty ABS sensors shouldn’t have the engine stall right?

Last edited by Svalbard; 10-08-2022 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10-09-2022, 02:35 AM
Received 109 Likes on 93 Posts

I'd guess that there is faults in engine systems and abs systems.

Old 10-09-2022, 02:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

This is the classic sign your battery is going out. A nice early warning feature on the CAN system these cars use is very sensitive to voltage drop, once your battery level dips below 12.5V then you start to get ghosts in the machine so to speak.

I would check the battery's standing voltage, and also check the voltage running back to the battery from the alternator whilst the engine running.

Short trips, and heavy startup loads can deplete batteries very quickly.

Old 10-09-2022, 02:46 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Did you report your ABS fault when it was serviced, this fault should not impact the engine unless it goes into restricted performance. You need to see if any codes are pending with a code reader. Fuel pump problems might also be on the horizon or you might have a failing coil or a number of other things. First read if any codes are logged before you throw money at part swapping.

Old 10-10-2022, 03:57 AM

@ Sean B
Thanks for pointing that out. I checked the battery and level was down to 12.6V. I went and bought a new battery and so far no warning lights.
I was slightly over 3 years ago I installed a new battery so it was certainly about time.
I will monitor. Hopefully this was the issue.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 368 Likes on 311 Posts

I am certainly glad that the forum could aid you in your diagnosis and solution.
I have had some vehicles where the factory installed battery lasted over 8 years without issue and
others that never reach past the warranty period. I always yest the voltage draw and connections
but have never understood the reasons for such differences.

Old 09-06-2023, 01:23 AM

Ok these ghost issues have started to show up again. It was only a year ago I bought a new battery. Yes many short trips around town but 1y seems to quick for battery depletion. Should I invest in a battery charger to plug in while parked at home?

Old 09-06-2023, 04:16 AM
Veteran Member
Received 846 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by Svalbard
Yes many short trips around town but 1y seems to quick for battery depletion.
The battery health will not depend so much on how new (or old) it is but will very much depend on at what state of charge the battery has been kept while not in use. What is very important for a longevity of a led-acid battery is that it is kept at near fully charged status (which is at 12.6 to 12.7 volts when off charging, measured ~1 hour after being charged) as much as possible. If the battery voltage is allowed to drop to 12v or less, the sulfation process on its plates will occur which will, over time, "eat" the battery capacity. This can ruin a new battery in even less than 1 year. A sulfated battery will charge to a good voltage but next morning it will be rather weak and may even not be able to crank the engine. So, if you are not using the car daily but more like once a week or less often, either install a battery disconnect switch or keep it on a trickle charger.

Last edited by M. Stojanovic; 09-06-2023 at 04:20 AM.
Old 09-06-2023, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Originally Posted by Svalbard
Ok these ghost issues have started to show up again. It was only a year ago I bought a new battery. Yes many short trips around town but 1y seems to quick for battery depletion. Should I invest in a battery charger to plug in while parked at home?
Generally a longer run will top the battery up, but if your not in a position to stretch it's legs then a battery tender is certainly a good option. I can recommend the CTEK CS1.
If you still get the no ABS available/ASC/stability there could be a dry joint inside the ABS module motherboard, pretty much everyone on this board will have experienced this or will at some point.
The problem is the solder joints to the ABS pump fracture and a fault is logged, easy enough to fix by cutting the top off the pump module and resoldering it to the board, with no warning lights after.
An OBD reader that does chassis or 'C' codes will pick this up.

Last edited by Sean B; 09-06-2023 at 04:35 AM.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,254 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Yes get a battery tender!
I would follow Sean B's suggestion as that is the most common brand of charger people use on Jaguars. Jaguar themselves even use maintainers in their showrooms to keep the batteries topped up because it's that important!

If you get to a JLR showroom take a look as the last one I went to ALL the Land Rovers and Jaguars were hooked up.
You can buy the Jaguar branded one but it's the same as the unbranded model only it costs more!

Old 09-08-2023, 12:15 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello SVALBARD... Seems to be a wheel sensor failure... you must check for dammage wiring or faulty ABS sensor.... Hope this help... !!!