XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Airbag light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbag light

have a XJ8 2002 and the airbag light is on since i bought it

both the seller and authorized dealer told me only that there's a problem under the left seat

eventually i got sick of it and:

1) i've checked the cables
2) replaced the airbag (not with new one, but with one I took from a 1998 XJ)
3) unpluged the battery

...and damn light is still on. any ideas?
I can't read or clear airbag codes with my ELM327 ODBII reader... is there a way to reset the light or read the code? I would hate to drive it to authorized dealer again coz they're so incompetent and after all I've already asked them to repair it, but they had no idea what could be the problem. Buy a new airbag they said... which I installed (not a new one, but used which worked in previous car). I even hardwired the airbag wires but the light is still there...

Old 08-16-2010, 01:12 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

what is it blinking?

Try this link also.

moved you to the correct XJ forum also...be careful where you post, its easy to get lost in the XJ areas

Old 08-16-2010, 03:17 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Mihael

both the seller and authorized dealer told me only that there's a problem under the left seat

3) unpluged the battery

I can't read or clear airbag codes with my ELM327 ODBII reader... is there a way to reset the light or read the code? I would hate to drive it to authorized dealer again coz they're so incompetent and after all I've already asked them to repair it, but they had no idea what could be the problem. Buy a new airbag they said... which I installed (not a new one, but used which worked in previous car). I even hardwired the airbag wires but the light is still there...
An Elm 327 is not capable of reading or resetting SRS codes. No average commercial scan tools I am aware of do. Codes associated with the SRS system have to be fixed, then the system has to be reset. I have a WDS that I use. I also have an Elm 327 which I like for capturing live data, but no cigar on anything other than the standard engine management codes with Elm.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:00 AM

Originally Posted by h20boy
what is it blinking?
it comes on immediately after the ignition (computer is checking lights, I think), then it goes off for 2 sec and on again and it stays on

Originally Posted by h20boy
moved you to the correct XJ forum also...be careful where you post, its easy to get lost in the XJ areas
Ok, thanks

Old 08-17-2010, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by stevetech
An Elm 327 is not capable of reading or resetting SRS codes. No average commercial scan tools I am aware of do. Codes associated with the SRS system have to be fixed, then the system has to be reset. I have a WDS that I use. I also have an Elm 327 which I like for capturing live data, but no cigar on anything other than the standard engine management codes with Elm.
I know... Do you know where can I buy a WDS for Jag? Haven't found it on ebay. Is there a way to reset it without WDS, like short-circuit certain pins or cables?

Old 08-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had this exact problem on my 2004 XJ8. (I know different model but maybe same "fault".)

Here's what the dealer repair receipt states:

P 2293 DRIVER AIRBAG CIRCUIT LOOP FAULT
REPLACE CLOCK SPRING ROAD TESTED 4 MILES

Here is the part number of what they replaced:

C2P14221 MODULE-CANCELLA 3 $207.87

I have no idea what the hell "Clock Spring" has to do with the airbag circuit loop but that's straight off my invoice. I hope it may be helpful to you. I do know that I have not had any airbag warning light problem since this work was performed.

Old 08-17-2010, 01:53 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Clockspring is the coiled wire that connects the airbag to the rest of the system through the steering column. Since the airbag is a safety system, they don't want the electrical signals to be lost if a sliding contact (what is used for most steering wheel signals) becomes intermittent, so they use a wire bundle that's wound into a flat coil - it looks just like an old fashioned clock spring. This just winds and unwinds slightly as you turn the steering wheel.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-17-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 08:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
Clockspring is the coiled wire that connects the airbag to the rest of the system through the steering column. Since the airbag is a safety system, they don't want the electrical signals to be lost if a sliding contact (what is used for most steering wheel signals) becomes intermittent, so they use a wire bundle that's wound into a flat coil - it looks just like an old fashioned clock spring. This just winds and unwinds slightly as you turn the steering wheel.
Hey QuadManiac,

That's exactly why I love this forum. There's a enormous reservoir of knowledge here and folks that are willing to share it. Thanks for the explanation. My repair bill now makes sense.

Regards, Quiet1

Old 08-19-2010, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Quiet1
Hey QuadManiac,

That's exactly why I love this forum. There's a enormous reservoir of knowledge here and folks that are willing to share it. Thanks for the explanation. My repair bill now makes sense.

Regards, Quiet1
agree, thank you both for info!

however my airbag light error supposedly originates under my seat so it has nothing to do with clock spring...

i would like to get at least one thing straight - if an error is fixed, does the light come off by itself or should it be reset afterwards?
in case of crash scenario i'm almost sure that it's the latter, but this is not the case...

Old 08-19-2010, 05:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

Mihael:
I think you are being foolish to assume that the airbag fault necassarily begins under your seat just because the dealer, who you have accused of being incompetent, says so. Neither is it valid to assume that you have the same fault as someone else. Get the thing scanned by someone with WDS or IDS for Jaguar (dealer or many Jag independents) to find out what the real problem is. Write down the excat code, then consider what to do. BTW, I cannot imagine ANYTHING "under the seat" that should cost so much that the P.O. wouldn't have fixed it to get the light out.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
Mihael:
I think you are being foolish to assume that the airbag fault necassarily begins under your seat just because the dealer, who you have accused of being incompetent, says so.
I'm assuming nothing; the incompetent dealer read the code which said that error is there. Well I do assume at least they can read the codes right.

Get the thing scanned by someone with WDS or IDS for Jaguar (dealer or many Jag independents) to find out what the real problem is.
You must be joking, many Jag independents?? There aren't any in my country

Other than that there are about 7 XJ8 <2003 models in Slovenia and I have 2 of them....

Write down the excat code, then consider what to do. BTW, I cannot imagine ANYTHING "under the seat" that should cost so much that the P.O. wouldn't have fixed it to get the light out.
Sure, I will go there again and ask them for the third time it's only 60 pounds

Old 08-19-2010, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

OK so no way of diagnosing with IDS software in Slovenia. You have an airbag module on the transmission tunnel, this connects to the Body control module (BCM).

Two seperate airbag cables run from the airbag module to the passenger and driver airbags.

Two pre tensioning front seatbelts are the closest you will get to an under seat event.

You can have airbag modules re-programmed, or reset. Maybe look on-line for a company that is near to you. Germany, UK etc.

There is a lifespan on airbags, I think 12 years. Is it possible replacing both driver and passenger bags will cure the light?

Old 08-20-2010, 12:01 AM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Turn your key on and watch the airbag light. It should come on for a few seconds and then go off. After that it should blink a fault code. What code are you getting?

If the light does not blink a code and just turns back on and stays on, then you most likely need a new clock spring. Also, if you get it scanned and no codes show up, but the light is still on you will need a clock spring.

Once the vehicle is repaired the airbag light will go off. There is no need to clear codes to shut the light off.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:42 AM
Received 97 Likes on 78 Posts

I've a similar problem on a 2007 XK. Starting the car and there's no airbag light. Drive out the driveway and the airbag light comes on if you make a right or left turn.

Stop on the hwy. Turn the car off then start again. Then I can drive for tens of miles without a airbag light. Make a hard left or right turn.......airbag light comes back on again.

I'm of the opinion its the clockspring and would appreciate a comment from TopDawg82 on this. Thank you.

I've only owned this car for three days now so I'm limited being able to talk about much of anything Jaguar........unless its talking XKE 1962 or XK140MC.

I posted my 1970 XK airbag problem on the XK forum fyi.

Old 08-10-2012, 12:38 AM
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

It's not always the clockspring. See here: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...05/#post526383

Old 08-10-2012, 07:40 AM
Received 1,420 Likes on 1,063 Posts

3) unpluged the battery

Count the number of blinks - For Example (Long light, long light, long light....pause.... short blink....short blink..... - that would stand for "Code 32") - I believe the code will flash 3 times in this fashion before the SRS light remains on. Also, there are readers out there that can monitor, diagnose and clear SRS codes - I use a Matco Determinator.... Hope this helps and let us know the code - finally, if the issue is fixed or if the "code" is intermitient - the code will clear itself.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:10 AM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

+1 to the Blink Codes

An ELM scantoool can't read or clear Supplemental Restraint System (SRS) codes which include the Airbag. You'd need AutoEnginuity with the Jaguar Expansion Pack or similar to be able to do this.

However, if it's a sensor, the warning light usually goes off by itself once the fault is fixed.

Graham

Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 AM
Received 63 Likes on 46 Posts

I've had this air bag light problem on my car for most of this year. It would come on sometimes immediately, ie just after moving out of the parking space, or after maybe 5/10 minutes' drive. And it wouldn't flash and it wouldn't go out.
I ignored it for a good while, and then finally decided to take a look under the seat by moving it all the way forwards and all the way up, as per most directions on this. After that, I cleared a bit of rubbish accumulated and then wiggled the connectors that I could see from the rear seat well.
This seems to have solved it. Weird.

Old 11-06-2020, 07:44 PM

3) unpluged the battery

​​​​​​I fixed mine on eBay, https://www.ebay.com/itm/114444295882