XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

all valve cover seals, shock and shock mount questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Default all valve cover seals, shock and shock mount questions

I did my VC gaskets last year when I did the secondary tensioners. It appears that they are slowly beginning to leak. I did not change the VCT solenoid seals or grommets since I didnt have them on hand when I started. What is the most cost-effective way to get these parts? I am interested in both vct seals, the grey and red VC gaskets (not black), spark plug tube seals, and grommets.

I have a similar question about shocks. I will be doing my ball joints soon and will probably be replacing all 4 of my shocks. What shocks do you recommend? Are certain shocks a better deal than others? I am also going to be replacing the upper shock bushings. Where is the cheapest place to get replacements (stock type and poly?) I can press anything I need in with very little problems. Thanks

Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I assume you have seen this thread concerning bushings.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ushings-64535/

The purists and the dealers will say you should change the whole mount.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts

I have been getting a knocking sound from the front of my 99 VDP and narrowed it down to my ball joints. I am doing an experiment with adding grease fittings to my ball joints, as my car only has 54k original miles. I think the joints have just dried out, but we will see if it helps. Keep an eye out in the X308 posts. I am getting ready to add the post with all of my pictures on how I did it. I have been looking at shocks as well. Seems to me there are some options but I am not sure which road to take as well. I have found the fairly inexpensive KYB shocks up to pricey bilsteins. Mine seem to be holding up for now. I am going to wait a bit more, I have other projects that are more pressing at the moment.

Old 12-15-2011, 10:04 PM

Cool idea on the zerk fitting. I have 163k or so and mine have hella play in them, so I have to replace them. KYB might be the way I have to go. One of my parts suppliers carries KYB, Delco, and motorcraft shocks. Maybe they can cut me a decent price. I was looking on advance auto parts site earlier and they have monroe sensatracs available for the rear only, so I probably wont go that route. I just read that thread on the bushings earlier, lol.

So it looks like for the shock bushings, a poly kit is going to cost around $80. I assume no one sells shock + bushing kits. How much are the stock orange replacements? I found some site when I first got the Jag talking about how replacing those bushings with new ones would make the car ride very cushy again. If they are easy to replace and fairly cheap, I wouldnt mind going the orange foam bushing route. Does anyone know anything on this? I still want to hear from some jaguar pros about the best way to get all of the VC gaskets. There were some problems when I got gaskets for a 99 VDP. They sent me the black skinny ones that fit the Lincoln LS. Mine is like the older model apparently with orange on one side and grey on the other. Thanks in advance again!

I think these are similar to the bushings I read about. Of course, they may have been for the rear only. Check it:
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...3-1632002.html

Last edited by ixj8it; 12-15-2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 05:47 PM

[quote=ixj8it;441369]So it looks like for the shock bushings, a poly kit is going to cost around $80. I assume no one sells shock + bushing kits. How much are the stock orange replacements? I found some site when I first got the Jag talking about how replacing those bushings with new ones would make the car ride very cushy again. If they are easy to replace and fairly cheap, I wouldnt mind going the orange foam bushing route. Does anyone know anything on this?

I still want to hear from some jaguar pros about the best way to get all of the VC gaskets. There were some problems when I got gaskets for a 99 VDP. They sent me the black skinny ones that fit the Lincoln LS. Mine is like the older model apparently with orange on one side and grey on the other. Thanks in advance again!
/quote]

No word on this?

Old 12-16-2011, 07:24 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

AJ27 and AJ28 engines use the thin black gaskets.
The AJ26 with the VVT units on the front cover used the grey/orange seals.

bob gauff

Old 01-06-2012, 06:44 PM

Well it looks like I am going to piece together a kit on motorcarsltd. I wish they would just sell a whole kit so I dont have to risk getting the wrong parts. I think I have found all the pieces on their website or ebay. VC gaskets (orange and grey):$85, VCT seals: 28.02X2, VC grommets $28. I am also going to break down and do the bottom ball joints, front shocks and poly shock bushings. Man these cars are kinda expensive to work on!

Old 01-06-2012, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Well . . . they are kinda expensive cars to begin with!

The difference in parts cost is pretty minor when compared to the Jagura vs. everybody else labor cost