XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Anyone have any idea what these are and what they're for?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 06:29 PM
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Anyone have any idea what these are and what they're for?

Does anyone have any idea what these wires are and what they're for and why they are not connected to anything?

Thanks

Old 08-11-2015, 06:43 PM
Received 12,726 Likes on 6,374 Posts

Hi Bcrary3,

If those connectors are original and not part of a previous owner's audio modification, then they are probably for optional equipment not installed on your car, or were used while the car was in transport to the dealership to prevent battery drain and such. The answer is probably in the 2000 X308 Electrical Guide, which you can download at this link:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj2000.pdf

Cheers,

Don

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (08-12-2015)
Old 08-11-2015, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by Don B
Hi Bcrary3,

If those connectors are original and not part of a previous owner's audio modification, then they are probably for optional equipment not installed on your car, or were used while the car was in transport to the dealership to prevent battery drain and such. The answer is probably in the 2000 X308 Electrical Guide, which you can download at this link:

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Auto.../jagxj2000.pdf

Cheers,

Don
Thanks, Don. I will take a look in there and see what I can find!

Old 08-12-2015, 01:24 AM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd be interested to know what you find as well - I was wondering the same thing last week as I was dismantling my car to install an mp3 cable.

I also found a huge multi-cable electrical connector in the back of the center console near the rear vents that didn't go into anything, and was capped of; I figured it was for some Vanden Plas option that the XJR didn't come with.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:14 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

IIRC correctly, the three pin connector was connected to an external battery charger during the boat trip over. The pink with spade lug female is after market, IMO.

The following users liked this post:
XJRay (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by QuadManiac
IIRC correctly, the three pin connector was connected to an external battery charger during the boat trip over. The pink with spade lug female is after market, IMO.
Both are factory.
The black connector has a earth, a constant +, and a + through a relay (which probably is not fitted).
That connector comes in handy for an additional power outlet in the trunk, which I did for a 12V cooler box.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Don B (08-12-2015), XJRay (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 05:17 AM
Veteran Member
Received 413 Likes on 318 Posts

That is exactly what it is for, an optional power outlet in the boot/trunk.

I think it is jagrepair.com that has the templates/instructions to fit power outlets in the boot/trunk and the glovebox.

The following 2 users liked this post by andrew lowe:
Don B (08-12-2015), XJRay (08-12-2015)
Old 08-12-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by capitaineInsano
I'd be interested to know what you find as well - I was wondering the same thing last week as I was dismantling my car to install an mp3 cable.

I also found a huge multi-cable electrical connector in the back of the center console near the rear vents that didn't go into anything, and was capped of; I figured it was for some Vanden Plas option that the XJR didn't come with.
Is is a white connector, 10 pin? That's for the telephone option. If you go with a motorola t605 bluetooth/audio interface, that's where you'd wire it in.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by bdboyle
Is is a white connector, 10 pin? That's for the telephone option. If you go with a motorola t605 bluetooth/audio interface, that's where you'd wire it in.
Not sure what you mean by that, but are you implying that it is possible to hook up bluetooth in this car?

Old 08-12-2015, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
Not sure what you mean by that, but are you implying that it is possible to hook up bluetooth in this car?
Yes, that is what he means .

If you want to install a Bluetooth device (like a Parrot or Motorola) for phone use only, you can use this plug completely, as the plug was intended for the original Jaguar-Motorola phone unit.

If you want to install the same Bluetooth device using the full potential of all your speakers, you can still use part of this plug for the power supply, but will need to connect the output to your CD player cables (exact configuration depending on your type of audio).
Do a search and there are several threads on this.

I did this several months ago, and it is an absolute delight to stream my music from my Samsung Note's SD card.
~4.000 songs just a click away, no desire for the CD player at all.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
Yes, that is what he means .

If you want to install a Bluetooth device (like a Parrot or Motorola) for phone use only, you can use this plug completely, as the plug was intended for the original Jaguar-Motorola phone unit.

If you want to install the same Bluetooth device using the full potential of all your speakers, you can still use part of this plug for the power supply, but will need to connect the output to your CD player cables (exact configuration depending on your type of audio).
Do a search and there are several threads on this.

I did this several months ago, and it is an absolute delight to stream my music from my Samsung Note's SD card.
~4.000 songs just a click away, no desire for the CD player at all.
Thanks for the info Eric!
In doing it will I be able to use the steering wheel/dash control to operate it?

Old 08-14-2015, 01:18 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Bcrary3
Thanks for the info Eric!
In doing it will I be able to use the steering wheel/dash control to operate it?
I can only speak from experience with my Parrot 9000, but I presume it is more or less the same for any other device.
I have the parrot unit fitted and hidden in the center console between the front seats.

Once paired one time, it will connect automatically if I enter the car, and streams music and phone calls from the phone if the CD is chosen.

The steering wheel buttons for volume etc. work just as normal, but phone operation needs to be done from your phone (but the Bluetooth device provides voice dialing etc).

Once installed, you will never want to go back to the CD player operation ...

Old 08-19-2015, 06:48 PM

I can only speak from experience with my Parrot 9000, but I presume it is more or less the same for any other device.
I have the parrot unit fitted and hidden in the center console between the front seats.

Once paired one time, it will connect automatically if I enter the car, and streams music and phone calls from the phone if the CD is chosen.

The steering wheel buttons for volume etc. work just as normal, but phone operation needs to be done from your phone (but the Bluetooth device provides voice dialing etc).

Once installed, you will never want to go back to the CD player operation ...
I may try and track one down, thanks!

Old 08-19-2015, 06:55 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

hi pal new to site but found from taking engine out that some plugs had no place to go. if they look dirty inside. chances are they have been hanging for life although the spde connector looks like a temp switch or oil pressure?
hop this helps
jack

Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes, using that connector you can get to all the signals necessary to connect a Motorola T605 or other Bluetooth phone interfaces. Sounds and works great with my T605, plus it can be used as a AUX input by connecting the T605 thru the CD player connectioon for Bluetooth and AUX music playback as well.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 08-20-2015 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-20-2015, 01:34 AM

morning. hi sorry. I will check my wiring loom later and see if it point to any clues. will post later

Old 08-20-2015, 02:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have any idea what these are for?

I have found a connector in the drivers side foot well that has a plug attached which appears to have been pulled out, I can't easily see where it went and the previous owner was far from electrical.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:42 PM

Sorry bcary3. I havnt ha a chance to strip driver side. But will do and promise to reply in next day or two. Even if i cant find the position of the three plug wire. I know how frustration this sort of poblem can be
Speak soon

Old 05-21-2016, 06:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

Both are factory.
The black connector has a earth, a constant +, and a + through a relay (which probably is not fitted).
That connector comes in handy for an additional power outlet in the trunk, which I did for a 12V cooler box.
Does the power continue to flow after that vehicle is turned off? If so, how do you stop your cooler from draining the battery?

Old 05-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by vdpnyc
Does the power continue to flow after that vehicle is turned off? If so, how do you stop your cooler from draining the battery?
I think 'yes' for the normal +, but surely 'no' for the relay +.
Just a standard relay, buy one, click it in the fuse box, use the correct + and u are safe.

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Johnny_B (05-23-2016), vdpnyc (05-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Anyone have any idea what these are and what they're for?