XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Buying an XJR, some questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying an XJR, some questions

ORIGINAL: xpl0sive

hey guys, im looking into buying an xjr, i have a couple of questions...
Can a double din deck be installed?
What is there to look for engine wise when buying? it seems to be leaking some oil, but i know the seals are a common failure on those cars, so are those a pain to replace?
What else should i know about these cars?
Um, no. You must be thinking of Series II and Series III cars. After Ford took over many of the so-called "common" idiosyncrasies Jaguars were prone to were systematically eliminated. Thus, an XJR, regardless of whether it's an inline six or AJ26 V8, it should not leak oil (or anything as a matter of commonplace).The steering rackseals willeventually fail, though you may bereplacing rear rear pinion seal before long. Camshaft cover gaskets may need renewing after a number of years or miles. If you smell a little burnt oil every now and again, it'soil leaking onto your manifold shield and burning off. Your biggest concern in an XJR comes with the '98 and '99 model year. The cylinder walls have a Nikasil coating that is susceptible to failure, eventually necessitating an engine rebuild or replacement. Other than that, XJRs have received very high customer satisfaction ratings. That doesnt mean things will never go awry, what it means is "this ain't your Grandad's Jaguar, anymore!" May I suggest thumbing through the posts or using the "search" function. There are a number of subjects on the topic of purchasing an XJR . Good luck with it

P.S. I dont know what a "double din deck" is so I cant advise. What is it?

Old 05-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

141,000 km is not horrible if the car has been well maintained (ie, oil changes at regular intervals). However, with that kind of usage, I would definately pay for a thorough inspection by a certified Jaguar technician, to include a compression and leakdown check ofeach cylinder. As for your tunes/nav, anything is possible nowadays provided you hook up with the right shop and the techs are competent.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much would a replacement motor cost? 5-9k$$ I was looking at an XJR due to the fact that i like to go fast with class but if purchasing the car means that the motor will fail around 100k miles or so its not worth the buy imho

Old 06-07-2007, 09:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Update the timing components to the metal tensioners. That's the most common fault. With that done, the engine should be good to go!

Old 06-09-2007, 02:07 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You wish a replacement motor would cost $5-9k, a friend of mine needed a rebuild or a replacement on a S-Type R. When he went to the ***********, they sed just to rebuild it wud cost $20k, and for the new engine it wud be about 25k. He just ended up selling the car cos he cudnt afford to fix it at those prices. Even when he took it to a local shop, they sed it wud be 15k for the rebuild and 20k for the engine. Its not that that parts are "really" expensive, its the labor that kills you.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mobil 1 oil and filter would be a good choice.

As far as trans fluid, XJ-R has a M-Benz tranny with M-Benz specific fluid. Expensive!

Old 06-13-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

if you are gettin a 2002 or newer, im pretty sure a double din will fit