XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 06:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Car will not start

2002, XJ8, stalled some time ago, took to a auto lab and, they said the computer will not accept the key..how do you or can the computer be
re-set? I have a green key and, will try it Monday because they closed the lab today..they checked everything else and said all was well..
thank you...

I did not know I posted in the wrong place..it is a V8.

Old 04-08-2017, 06:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

First, did they give you a printout of the diagnosis? If so, can you post it for others to review, especially for folks like motorcarman.
In the meantime you can try to undo the + battery terminal and leave it off for at least 30 minutes and reconnect it, then try starting it. If it does start, let the car run for at least 3 minutes to relearn. This is also done to reset a check engine light after you have fixed the reason for the light. You will have to reset your clock and radio.
If this does not work, please let us know.

The following 2 users liked this post by Highhorse:
Don B (04-08-2017), elic9 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 10:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

When I had that happen on my 01, I had to have an independent with the ability to reprogram the key to the ECU. They had to do both keys. Dealer has the right software, as well. As do some of the better locksmiths.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jhartz:
Don B (04-10-2017), elic9 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

A key that is NOT configured to the car (or the key was deleted somehow or electronic 'glitch') will set a P1260 in the ECM.

If the ECM was replaced, then it will need to be configured to the CAN bus with an 'IMMOBILIZATION-SETUP'.

Did this key EVER work??? When did the key STOP working???? What else has been done to the car??

Lots of questions before a good diagnosis can be offered.

bob

The following 2 users liked this post by motorcarman:
Don B (04-10-2017), elic9 (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 08:15 AM

The key has always worked, and the car has just had a new transmission, gas cap, thermostat cap, evap. hose.

The following users liked this post:
Don B (04-10-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 09:36 AM

Is the fault with ALL the keys??? (Please tell us you have more than one key.)

I have seen a car 'forget' just one key and when the customer showed up with another key, the engine started right up. Just needed to configure all the keys to the car AGAIN!!! Why??? I don't know.

bob

Don B (04-10-2017), elic9 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 247 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Posted to your previous help request before you moved

As for the battery Jags are very sensitive to electrical issues caused by low battery voltage and your battery should show voltage of at least 12.6 or more volts when checked with a multi-meter attached to the battery's terminals. (A fully charged GOOD battery will normally show 13.5-13.6 volts when tested that way). Still that should not keep the car from starting even if it does cause some of the sensors to malfunction.

Without further info it's almost impossible to give you any useful information as what to try so tell us what exactly does happen.

Does the key cause the car to do anything?

Do the dash lights come on?

Does it crank but not start?

Was this key working without problems before the latest event?

What was the latest event that caused you to go to a mechanic.

What warning lights on the dash stay on...if any?

ETC.

Don B (04-10-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Default We can't help if you don't respond more specifically

She's also responding on her earlier thread in another model forum and I could be wrong but I think there are 3 threads open on this.

At some point ONE year ago it has the transmission replaced but I have yet to read what led up to the latest no start problem.

About all we know is it won't start with any key but don't know if it tries to start, or if the dash lights up but nothing else, or if the car remains absolutely dead with the key in the ignition.

Her efforts to communicate leave major gaps and I would suggest that she take the time to give as clear a description of the actual events in the order they occurred and just what "shop" that car is at and what they have given or told her.

The following 3 users liked this post by RDMinor:
Don B (04-12-2017), elic9 (04-12-2017), Jhartz (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 05:46 PM
Veteran Member

You've got that right RDMinor....clear and concise information is needed. Even though I actually thought I had asked for that...lol.

elic9 (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 05:47 PM

The car makes a starting noise, the green key was tried and won't work either.

The diagnosis says: code P1260 done with alldatapro.com Trying to be clear people..the students at a Mechanic lab checked everything and said all is working...I am not a mechanic and cannot give your the exact vocabulary but, what I have on paper...the "anti-theft is activated" and that is what needs to be de-activated.
Hope you can understand me and thanks anyways for your help...the car is just sitting and, when I can..I will take it to dealer just right now it is pricey, I only work p/t as a teacher. Have a nice Holy week ..

Old 04-12-2017, 05:48 PM

Do you all believe it is junk now.??????

Old 04-12-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

P1260 helps out, at least we know there's a fault and where it originates. I expect motorcarman to supersede this statement since he is a Tech. But, from what I read, it is a dealer only reset tool that can fix it. Hopefully motorcarman can give you better news. Too bad you two are almost on opposite sides of TX. I wonder if motorcarman knows someone, who knows someone, who knows how to fix that cheaper for ya?

elic9 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:25 PM

The P1260 means that the Key Transponder is NOT RECOGNIZED.
The key needs to be configured (programmed) to the vehicle.
This requires an advanced (dealer level) diagnostic computer.

It is simple if you have the correct equipment.

I would suggest getting another key to program at the same time.
ALL KEYS MUST BE PRESENT when the configuration is performed so another one will be handy.

Configuring 1 or 5 is the same procedure. Sorry that you are 600 miles away. I have the computer to perform this.

Call around to see if somebody can program keys.

There is a possibility that the KTM (Key Transponder Module) in the car itself is faulty??? Or the exciter ring in the keylock barrel??

bob

elic9 (04-13-2017), Highhorse (04-13-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 09:53 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Originally Posted by elic9
The car makes a starting noise, the green key was tried and won't work either. The diagnosis says: code P1260 done with alldatapro.com. [edit] Do you all believe it is junk now.??????
Hi elic9,

No, your car is definitely not junk! This issue can be resolved with the proper detective work.

Here is a snip from the Diagnostic Trouble Codes Summaries guide, giving possible causes of the P1260 code:

KTM stands for Key Transponder Module, and ECM stands for Engine Control Module. As others have said, it is quite likely that your key(s) need to be reprogrammed. But the underlying cause may lead to the problem recurring if it is not rectified, and it is possible that your student mechanics could help rule them out, if you really cannot afford a more knowledgeable expert at this time.

Before you pay to have your keys programmed, it might be worth having your mechanics disconnect the battery negative and positive cables, then carefully disconnect the ECM electrical connector and check all the pins for corrosion and signs of water ingress. They should also check the EM2 gray-colored 20-way electrical connector behind the kick panel trim at the base of the passenger-side A-pillar. They should carefully clean the connector pins and terminals with a small wire brush and flush them with zero-residue electrical contact cleaner spray. Allow them to dry before reassembling or performing the next test.

If there are no signs of corrosion or water ingress, they can test for continuity between the ECM and KTM on the Yellow and White wires that connect the two modules, and also check for a short between the two wires or a short to ground on either wire.

The circuit is shown in Figure 3.1 of the Electrical Guide which can be downloaded at the link below:

X308 Electrical Guide 2001-2003

Please keep us informed.

Cheers,

Don

Last edited by Don B; 04-13-2017 at 11:32 AM.
elic9 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 01:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

the students at a Mechanic lab checked everything and said all is working
And they probably know about 10% about the jag as the guys on here.

elic9 (04-13-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:17 AM
Default 1st thing to do is get it out of the hands of "students" before they do serious damag

Do you all believe it is junk now.??????

Elic9... do yourself a big favor and locate a dealer or qualified mechanic who has, and knows how to use the computer systems relevant to Jaguar. It's very doubtful that these students have access to or know how to use a version of the SDD system used by Jaguar to diagnose the various electronics and computer controlled modules located throughout your car.

The code you were given is indeed the one indicating a failure of the car to recognize the transponder buried in the key's 'handle' and that can only be corrected by a computer using a version of the Jaguar SDD (System Driven Diagnostics) system. What may have caused the car to lose that connection is something for another days discussion. In any case it's an easy fix if you have the right program for the job but it limits you to NO MORE than 3 keys coded correctly at the same time.

Check your local yellow pages or Google Jaguar or possibly Bosch certified service or mechanics and call to see if they are familiar with the Jaguar SDD program and its use.

You may find there's a forum member who is willing to help and has one of the several versions on his or her laptop as well. In any case don't let the "students' do anymore than they have already done because they can only make it worse.

elic9 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-13-2017, 10:31 AM
Default Elic9

Attached is a link to a site that lists the foreign car & Jaguar service centers in the El Paso area. They are not Jaguar dealers but claim to be capable of servicing a variety of foreign cars, Jaguar included.

Call around until you find one close enough that gives you a sense of confidence that they have and understand how to use the Jaguar SDD diagnostic system applicable to your car.

If it's just the one code it's an easy fix to reprogram up to 3 keys as I recall and shouldn't take them long at all once they have the car. I'd ask them to give you a print out of any other codes that pop up as I'd bet the 'students' who currently have your car can only pull up the international "P" codes and not the literally dozens of Jaguar specific B, C, and U codes.

Jaguar Repair Shops in El Paso, TX | Independent Jaguar Service in El Paso, TX | JagShops

Take a look at one down the list......Govea's, as they list a complete Jaguar specific line of heavy repairs. (As a compete aside there was a fellow student back in my university days decades ago who was a Europran car nut with the same last name. Not likely the same man but who knows

Last edited by RDMinor; 04-13-2017 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added reference
elic9 (04-14-2017)
Old 04-14-2017, 03:42 PM

I did not leave the car in the students hands, I had to tow it back home asap.
I appreciate the list and I thank you....
Sincerely,
Elizabeth

Old 04-19-2017, 08:37 PM
Received 12,739 Likes on 6,380 Posts

Elizabeth,

Please keep us informed of any updates on your Jaguar.

Cheers,

Don

elic9 (04-21-2017)
Old 04-19-2017, 08:58 PM

I am interested in any updated info as well.
Keep us 'in-the-loop'.

bob

elic9 (04-21-2017)