XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Center dash bulbs - removing dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Center dash bulbs - removing dash

I'm trying to replace a light bulb on the temperature display and I want to know how to remove the center dash to get to the bulbs. I'm assuming it is just a bulb since one is still working. It appears as if it is backlit to show the temperature. This is a 2000 XJR that belongs to my brother but I am the mechanic.

Old 01-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Default RE: Center dash bulbs - removing dash

The hardest part is taking the wood off. Pull on the wood veneer straight towards you CAREFULLY from the ring openings. Once its off remove the trip and fog light switch by pushing up. You will see four phillips holding the cluster down. I would recommend replacing all the bulbs with 194's.

Old 01-12-2008, 09:29 AM

Okay I'll pass the message along and let you know how it goes. Thanks.

Old 01-12-2008, 06:17 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

Not to step on toes here, but I think he said the Temp display bulb is out.

You need to pull up J-gate surround. Remove the 4 7mm's (2 bolts, 2 nuts) and dsiconnect cruise and sport mode switches. Pull the switch bezel out. Now pull up the wood around the shifter (put it in Neutral) from the rear first and slide down and backwards. Next remove rear vent assy. Use small screwdriver and pry from the top. Remove the two 10mm nuts holding down rear of console. Next remove center vent wood. Be careful not to scratch it. It is tight but just kung fu grip it and it will come off. Remove the 2 torx 30 bolts. Remove center console. Now remove screw retaining audio and climate controls. Remove the bulb. Installation is reverse of above.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:41 AM

FactoryJaguarTech your information is very helpful. Yes it is the temperature (climate control temperature) that is having a problem. So you have remove that center console to get at those bulbs. Well that is a bit of a pain. I'll update shortly but I have to travel to get to the cars location. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts

No problem. If you run into any snags let us know.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:47 AM
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: FactoryJaguarTech

Not to step on toes here, but I think he said the Temp display bulb is out.

You need to pull up J-gate surround. Remove the 4 7mm's (2 bolts, 2 nuts) and dsiconnect cruise and sport mode switches. Pull the switch bezel out. Now pull up the wood around the shifter (put it in Neutral) from the rear first and slide down and backwards. Next remove rear vent assy. Use small screwdriver and pry from the top. Remove the two 10mm nuts holding down rear of console. Next remove center vent wood. Be careful not to scratch it. It is tight but just kung fu grip it and it will come off. Remove the 2 torx 30 bolts. Remove center console. Now remove screw retaining audio and climate controls. Remove the bulb. Installation is reverse of above.

Hope this helps.
Good info I need to change mine as well!!!

Old 08-14-2009, 09:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi FactoryJaguarTech. Thanks for your helpful info. By the way, I am not cleared about the rear vent assy that I have to pry on top or just pry around outside of the rear vent hood then mine is VDP, should I remove the rear center tray too ? and about the center vent hood, do I have to remove the center wood trim also or just the center vent hood ? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by EZfan; 08-14-2009 at 09:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 01:25 PM
Received 120 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dneider
Anyone know where I can get my hands on the back light bulb that lights up the fog lamp switch. (I'm not talking about the little LED that lights up when you turn the lamp on, just the bulb that provides backlight at night when headlamps are on). Its a little tiny bulb and the jag dealer, despite looking forever could not find a replacement bulb, evnetually tried to sell me whole lamp switch. motor sports didn't have it either.
I haven't seen it, but have you tried Radio Shack or AutoZone?

Old 08-15-2009, 07:16 PM
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

EZfan:

FactoryJagTech is long gone, sorry to say. The rear console vent assy removal is:

Remove rear tray veneer (Vanden Plas). Use a 90 degree seal pick, pull up.
Remove two screws, remove rear console tray.
Remove center console lid and console insert (4 screws)
From inside center console, push down to release the two plastic tabs that hold the rear vent assy in the console.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:29 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

anyone know where i can get a list of the replacement bulbs part numbers...i believe they are different...i tried taking the one from my driver side window switch to use for the right hand side of my temp disply which so did not work...i also checked the XJ 2001 Electrical guide to see what the replacement bulbs are but no luck...would be great if some had a list somewhere...

Old 09-12-2010, 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by pdog2000
anyone know where i can get a list of the replacement bulbs part numbers...i believe they are different...i tried taking the one from my driver side window switch to use for the right hand side of my temp disply which so did not work...i also checked the XJ 2001 Electrical guide to see what the replacement bulbs are but no luck...would be great if some had a list somewhere...
I pulled these from the Electronic Parts Catalogue:

Clock Bulb
LNC5180AA

Instrument Cluster
LJA4390AA

Warning Light
LJA4390BA

Console Switch Bulb Blue
LNA5180DA

Console Switch Bulb Clear
LNA5180EA

Courtesy Lamp
DBC11381

Trunk Lamp
LNA5180AA

Puddle Lamp
XR811819 or DBC11381

Glovebox
DBC11380

Visor Bulb
LJA5180BA

A/C LCD
JLM11965
Low Blue
JLM20308
Low Green
JLM20309

I don't see anything listed for the Door Switch Packs (Only listed as Whole Part) or Radio (Also listed only as Whole Part).

The following 2 users liked this post by SuperSport:
jimlombardi (09-24-2011), LA99xj8 (06-28-2016)
Old 09-12-2010, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Nice assist there Supersport

Also for inspiration have a read of this great thread by Oubadah about changing incandescents for leds.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38712

Old 09-12-2010, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Translator
Nice assist there Supersport

Also for inspiration have a read of this great thread by Oubadah about changing incandescents for leds.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38712
Thank you, and Thank you for the heads up on his post. It's an incredible write-up, and his source for LED's will be invaluable. I built my own LED for the Clock, but this way will be so much easier, and cheap!

Old 09-12-2010, 04:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

@ SuperSport, at the risk of a hijack, have you got a electronic copy of the electronic parts catalogue I could possibly have! I need to see any parts catalogues relating to our cars, thanks!

Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

If you want to replace the bulbs behind the gagues (i.e. the RPM, Speedo, Fuel) it is simple.
1) Disconect the battery (Very Important)
2) Remove the wood trim from around the instruments (Pull, its okay honest)
3) Remove the Fog light and Trip Switches
4)Remove the 4 deep set screws in that hold the black surround on
5) Unplug the two plugs going into the gauges, and carefully pull the gauge pod out (no speedo cables or anything to worry about)
6) The bulbs are held in by bulb holders that twist and pull out. The bulbs are then pulled out of the holder and they type are the same as your side light bulbs but are 3.5watt. I put 5watt side light bulbs in and they are ok to use as they are brighter but don't melt anything. Tip: Replace all 4 so you don't have to repeat in a month or so.
7) Refit in reverse order.
Hope this helps anyone. S.

Old 09-14-2010, 10:56 PM
Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

guys - check this out...super helpful...i found the link on the superbrightleds.com site
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/

Old 09-14-2010, 11:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow. That's only one reason why this forum is such a valuable resource for tech information. The whole center console lightbulb change info for 98 to 03 X308's. I recently found a letter in Jaguar World Monthly magazine about changing bulbs in the instrument cluster. When I bought my car the speedo bulbs were out. I drove it for months like that because, get this: A TECH AT A JAGUAR DEALERSHIP WHICH SHALL REMAIN NAMELESS TOLD ME THE PROCEDURE TO CHANGE THE BULBS WAS COST PROHIBITIVE, AS IN OVER A THOUSAND BUCKS! I kid you not. I won't speculate on the implications surrounding this mis-information, for they are legion. Anyway, I immediately changed the bulbs on my instrument cluster (all of them), and now I can see how fast I'm going. This can only be a good thing, right? Pretty blue light off the gauges. Nice. Still need a rear parcel shelf speaker, though.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by pdog2000
guys - check this out...super helpful...i found the link on the superbrightleds.com site
http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProd...lacementGuide/
Wow. This is a great site. Very nice post...

Quick Reply: Center dash bulbs - removing dash