XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak

I am leaking coolant in my 01 V8 Vanden Plas from somewhere that appears to be above the transmission. It's a madhouse of hoses in the general area of where I believe the leak is coming from so I can't get a good view without taking stuff apart. I would like to avoid any unnecessary labor so any advice would be appreciated.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:24 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

I've moved your question from General Tech Help to X308 forum. This is the place to post technical questions about your model.

Graham

Old 04-30-2019, 11:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

In the area you are describing there are at least a few major areas of concern. The first step is to have the system pressure tested. It will allow you to find the leak without the engine running. The heater feed and return hoses are in that area. The dreaded Norma coupling is there, the octupus hose is there and there is a small rubber elbow on the bottom of the throttle body. A static pressure test is the best way to sort it out.
You don't have a location in your info but I can recommend the Harbor Freight pressure tester has the necessary adapter for the Jaguar if there is one in your area. If not take it to a competent radiator repair facility and have them do the pressure test. Once you identify the location of the leak we can better advise you.

Old 04-30-2019, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you for the info. I do have a harbor freight near me

I
Originally Posted by avern1
In the area you are describing there are at least a few major areas of concern. The first step is to have the system pressure tested. It will allow you to find the leak without the engine running. The heater feed and return hoses are in that area. The dreaded Norma coupling is there, the octupus hose is there and there is a small rubber elbow on the bottom of the throttle body. A static pressure test is the best way to sort it out.
You don't have a location in your info but I can recommend the Harbor Freight pressure tester has the necessary adapter for the Jaguar if there is one in your area. If not take it to a competent radiator repair facility and have them do the pressure test. Once you identify the location of the leak we can better advise you.

Old 05-04-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by avern1
I agree with avern1, but while we on this, I lose about a cup of fluid every few months. There is no sign of moisture on my garage floor. Pressure test turns up nothing.

Is a loss like this normal?

Also, how much do you fill the coolant reservoir? I usually leave it a few inches shy of the top. Correct?

Thanks.