XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

02 XJ Sport oil leak+coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 317 Likes on 190 Posts
Default 02 XJ Sport oil leak+coolant leak

Sounds like fun, right? Well I noticed a decent oil puddle under the car after sitting for about 2 days. Thought the oil filter would be loose but it's not. Not were any oil pan bolts loose. Here are some pics of oil and coolant leak. The coolant seems to be coming from different places. From the thermostat and maybe the bigger hose in front of it. Any tips on how to fix that? The oil, well it is leaking everywhere as seen in pics. I

See the coolant?

In this pic, there is a small tear in the hose. Not sure if you guys can see it or not.
​​​​​​​Any help is appreciated, I don't know these cars like I know C4 vettes.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

You look like you need to go through and replace a lot of hosing initially. Shall we say, you need to stop the bleeding somewhere first. Then tackle the oil seepage.
BTW, the only leak I have on my C4 is the rear tranny seal. That's the least of my concern for it now, I'm putting on a FI-Tech system ...hopefully before the weekend?

Old 06-21-2017, 01:20 PM
Received 145 Likes on 92 Posts

Hi,

+1 on the hoses. And if you're down there, I'd replace the thermostat tower with the metal one since the plastic housing will get brittle when ageing and then you're in big trouble. Maybe you already have a small crack, which explains the multiple sources of coolant leaking.
And as there's at least one rubber hose deteriorating, it's very likely that there are more to come. So my advice is to replace all the coolant hoses that look or feel suspicious when changing the already known bad hoses. Don't forget the valley hoses (or at least to inspect them).
The Jaguar V8's are very sensitive on overheating. Once overheated due to coolant loss (which happens in seconds) and you're facing a huge bill.

Cheers, Alexander

Old 06-21-2017, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

The thermostat tower is aluminum on my car. I actually found that the upper piece of thermostat tower was loose, where you tighten it with a hex socket. I was able to loosen it by hand. Got it tight as much as I could by hand. I have hex sockets, but none big enough. The outlet pipes are not sold in metal replacements are they? But yes, I will get new hoses. They really don't look bad at all, other than the one that connects to the outlet pipe and tstat housing. Anyone know where I can get that hose? Also, where are the valley hoses?

Old 06-21-2017, 03:12 PM
Veteran Member

From what I see yours is a basic XJ Brandon, so you don't have to worry about the valley hoses...those are for SC cars. But if you had a SC, the hoses go under the SC, front to back of the motor valley.

Old 06-21-2017, 03:44 PM

Hi,

oh that's good - couldn't recognise the tower material on your pics. In this case you should be safe ;-)
Concerning the valley hoses I have to disagree with highhorse. Valley hoses mean the heater feed and return hoses. So it's irrelevant if you have a N/A or a SC car, you have them. They're called the valley hoses since they're both located at the bottom of the V of the engine (between the cylinder heads). Only difference to the SC cars is that you can change them more easily on the N/A cars. They're hidden below the intake manifold - for SC cars they're hidden below the supercharger and you have to disassemble a whole bunch of parts more. For images and part no look here: http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk...eed-and-return

Last edited by xjr2014_de; 06-21-2017 at 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-21-2017, 03:51 PM

Concerning the outlet pipes, I didn't ever see a metal one. However it would be quite a decent and reasonable upgrade. Maybe you can get a replacement outlet pipe for small money, just for a bit more peace of mind.

Old 06-21-2017, 06:14 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by xjr2014_de
Hi,

oh that's good - couldn't recognise the tower material on your pics. In this case you should be safe ;-)
Concerning the valley hoses I have to disagree with highhorse. Valley hoses mean the heater feed and return hoses. So it's irrelevant if you have a N/A or a SC car, you have them. They're called the valley hoses since they're both located at the bottom of the V of the engine (between the cylinder heads). Only difference to the SC cars is that you can change them more easily on the N/A cars. They're hidden below the intake manifold - for SC cars they're hidden below the supercharger and you have to disassemble a whole bunch of parts more. For images and part no look here: http://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/uk...eed-and-return
That is my mistake then for sure, I thought those were strictly a SC scenario. I apologize and thanks to xjr2014_de to correct my error.

Old 06-21-2017, 08:55 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the responses guys. So the heater hoses are under the intake. Will I need to buy mew intake gaskets? Mine are nit leaking. But I am just curious. Also, I just noticed my car has green coolant in it. Should I be worried?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:15 AM
Veteran Member

Sorry to keep bumping up my thread guys. Went through my service records last night, and it says upper and lower radiator hoses, octopus heater hoses, and hard plastic coolant lines were replaced. Does it sound like any hoses were missed? I will definitely change out the hose that connects to the tsat housing and the outlet pipe. Also, what even is "hard plastic coolant lines"? Are those the ones on top of the engine, left side? Of course, I will look at hoses to verify condition.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member

There are some multiple hose connections behind the block by the throttle body. There are also a few of those "hard plastic coolant lines" there. They are about 1/4" in diameter and mostly come off your radiator fluid fill tank.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:56 PM

@Highhorse: no worries :-)

@Z07Brandon: the hoses which have been replaced according to your service record aren't the whole story. There are more coolant hoses than you might think. The octopus hose is below the expansion tank and prone to fail someday - good deal to have it already replaced. Same for the upper and lower radiator hoses. As Highhorse already said, the only "hard plastic" coolant lines on the Jag engines are the bleed lines from/to the expansion tank (see here: https://www.jaguarclassicparts.com/u...ecovery-bottle
They break easily when you lean on them while doing other stuff in the engine bay.
But all these hoses are not close to the thermostat tower or directly related to your coolant problem as seen from the pictures.

Please find attached an extract from the workshop manual which gives you an idea of how many lines and hoses are connected to the coolant system, which also supplies = interconnects with the heating system.
You can use SNG Barrats online catalogue or jaguarclassicparts to browse through the assembly drawings to evaluate the right parts.

Best regards, Alexander

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
coolant, heating schematics.pdf (127.9 KB, 124 views)
The following users liked this post:
xj8 detroit (03-13-2020)
Old 06-22-2017, 11:48 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks for all the info guys!! So do I need to worry about having all green coolant? I barely found out it should have orange coolant in it.