XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Engine Failsafe/ASC/Trac.Control & Gearbox Failure

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Failsafe/ASC/Trac.Control & Gearbox Failure

I picked up my very first Jaguar today. A beautiful '02 XJ Sport with 72,000 miles on it (I only paid $7900 for it).
I loved it until, on the way to take my wife to dinner tonight, the XJ Sport decided to go nuts. For no reason it gave off four messages; Trac. Control Failure, ASC Failure, Gearbox Failure, and then Engine Failsafe. All at the same time. What the heck is going on?!!!
I pulled the car off the road, it stalled. Restarted it after a few seconds, and it started to run the same messages again, and the idle would not go past 1000 RPM. I shut it off, then restated it again after a seconds. This time I reved the engine several times, and it seemed to run good.
I was able to drive it back home with no more problems, but now I am worried that it will happen again and strand our family (not fun with 3 young kids). I was going to take it on vaction to Florida, but not now!
Please, can someone here offer this new Jag owner some suggestions? I will get a code reader tomorrow. There is an amber engine light on now, so there will be a code pulled, but I don't know where the code plug-in is. Can you tell me where that is located too?
Thanks, Bert

Last edited by 1stingfan; 05-09-2009 at 09:53 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

Hey
Driver side under dash can't miss it
Could be throttle body problem or
Networkig problem with ur CAN .
Just post the codes when u get a chance

Old 05-12-2009, 09:19 PM

The code on Sunday was P1122. It was like that until tonight when the Jag started it's fault messages again, just as we were leaving our driveway. This time I could not just shut off the car, restart, and then get going. This time it stayed that way. It froze. Idled at around 1000RPM, but the "gearbox fault" would not let it go anywhere. I put the scanner back on it and it came up P1121 and under "pending codes" it had P1000.
So, what is your opinion/knowledge of what those codes are? Thanks for the info.
Bert

Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 PM

What is "Networking problem with ur CAN"? I'm don't know what that is.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

P1122 in my manual (2000 XJ8 / VDP) ia Accelerator pedal switch fault.
P1000 is just a generic type code you always get.

CAN network (Controller Area Network?) is the communications network that allows the different parts of your car to communicate with each other.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:24 PM

Thanks. Another website called it a Pedal Position Sensor, I've always called it a Throttle Position Sensor. I assume it's all the same? So why would it keep an idle at 1000PRM, but basically stop the transmission from interacting with the engine? I cannot use the accelerator at all.
Thanks. Bert

Old 05-12-2009, 11:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the same in this case.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just about had enough with my 99 XJ8 and here's why;
I just bought my 99 XJ8 and I am getting “Stability Control Failure along with the “Engine Fail Safe” message.
I have changed out my battery, cleaned the throttle body, cleaned and checked all four wheel sensors, check/cleaned and lubed my brake switch, sealed all of the leaks between my air filter to the throttle body, cleaned and checked the mass air flow sensor and even cleaned out the front left of the valve cover where the hose comes out of with a 3/32 drill bit and once again I’m getting the “Stability Control Failure along with the “Engine Fail Safe” message.
I had gotten a code of P0102 which went away when I installed a new battery but now I’m getting the dreaded P1000 which I know means nothing. That’s the only code I’m getting. Everything has been done except for swapping out parts but they have all been check with my meter before I reinstalled them.
Any suggestions?
I really love this car but I don’t want nor can afford a money pit.
Please help!

Old 02-04-2011, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts
Red face

If you haven't already, I would go over all the power posts and grounds. Clean them and lube them with dielectric grease. Check the ground strap itself also. Mine was acting up and I had to solder the ends to the braid. Electrical connections and grounds cause a lot of weird problems, and there are a bunch of them on these cars. Some are under the hood, some in the boot and some in the spare tire well. There is a chart of them on Alldata, or maybe there's one in here somewhere.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:52 AM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

cruiser, Im iced in right now in houston, but off the top off my head if I remember. P0102 is a throttle body code. Which would be a engine fail safe, and stab control issue. Someone though can verify the code since Im not at work, but I was gonna say even without the code it sounds like to TB issue to me

Old 02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts
Default P0102

Brutal is correect. P0102 says "MAFS sense circuit low voltage". I have heard of issues with the connectors to the throttle body being dissimilar metals and problems with the connector to the throttle body. A throttle body cleaning probably wouldn't hurt either.

Old 02-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts
Old 02-04-2011, 10:26 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

It sounds like you have a problem with the TB. Before I would go replacing it I would check the electrical plugs to it.

Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 PM

Okay now that im at work, its is for the mass air flow sensor like jimmy said, but not the throttle body. I would clean the sensor and disconnect. Also make sure theres nothing blocking the air filter cause this code if for low voltage, and ive seen mice make nest in the air filter box and block the filter causing this code. After you clean, and ck the box if the code still comes back replace the mafs

Old 02-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

I am so sorry! I was looking at the original post on 5/9/09 and not the post on today’s date. Two different posts! I will do better next time in separation the posts, a big difference between P1122 & P0121. I will do better the next time! Good thing you were on it Brutal

Old 02-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimmyL
If you haven't already, I would go over all the power posts and grounds. Clean them and lube them with dielectric grease. Check the ground strap itself also. Mine was acting up and I had to solder the ends to the braid. Electrical connections and grounds cause a lot of weird problems, and there are a bunch of them on these cars. Some are under the hood, some in the boot and some in the spare tire well. There is a chart of them on Alldata, or maybe there's one in here somewhere.
Sounds like a plan. I had to do the same with my Vette because of phantom electrical issues.
Thanks for reminding me that a faulty ground can cause all sorts of issues.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by JimmyL
Electrical connections and grounds cause a lot of weird problems, and there are a bunch of them on these cars. Some are under the hood, some in the boot and some in the spare tire well. There is a chart of them on Alldata, or maybe there's one in here somewhere.
this is very true, but key word is ALOT, not 1 or 2. this is why its always important to gather all know issues, study the wiring diag, and look to see if theres commonality between the issues electrically like grounds, power sources, shared harness, splices etc... when you look at wiring diags youll notice that for many many components there are only a few shared ground points. this gives a cleaner install and more importantly cuts down on electrical interferance and noise buy reducing ground paths through the chassis of cars. Those of you into car audio should know this very well. This is why CAN network wires are twisted, this cuts down on electrical noise even more. this is all just alittle fyi to help with knowledge for those that are here to learn more about diagnostics and reasons why
The new climate is everything online for wiring diagrams, and I am 1 of many techs that hate this. The type is too small, and many times I pull out the book and have the page and find the problem before someone else even gets logged in to Jaguar to pull up diagrams. yeah it may cost less for them and save afew trees, but it cost techs, and customers more money in wasted time, missed diagnosis, and shared expense, cause guess what, if it takes me longer to find a problem I pass it on just like all businesses

Old 02-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

Unplug the MAF connector at the air cleaner, clean all pins in both connector sides with contact cleaner/lubricant from Radio Shack, or equivalent, and reconnect - unplug and replug several times to scrape any corrosion off the pins.

P0102 is a mis-read (low signal) from the MAF sensor, implying either a bad MAF or a bad connection to the MAF. Cleaning the connector (and verifying that the air box housing and hose to the throttle body is all intact and not leaking) is the first/easiest attempt to eliminate the symptom. Cleaning the MAF itself would be the next - but I'll bet it's the connection.

Has it been unusually humid or wet lately? I find my connections start going haywire and throwing errors when it's very moist or raining... So far, in the last year, I've had the Throttle position sensor connector and two injector connectors cause errors (similar to yours), always during or just after rain (which is rather uncommon here in San Diego) and all three were fixed with the cleaning/greasing as described.

I suspect the o-rings in the connectors are starting to harden, allowing moisture in. Whenever you break a connection to clean or for any other maintenance, I recommend adding some dielectric grease around the o-ring and and mating surface - this should keep moisture out for at least a few years more.

When the connections are NOT acting up, it truly is a pleasure to drive this car... small 'quirks' aside, I hope I can keep it running for many, many years to come.

Last edited by QuadManiac; 02-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jimlombardi (09-20-2011)