XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Front exhaust muffler - which way?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 07:39 AM
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Front exhaust muffler - which way?

This is an annoying problem but the book says nothing! I need to know which way the Front Muffler goes back on? I removed my exhaust to do something else and remember it being particularly tight to remove from the down-pipes, it took some carefully placed pieces of wood and a heavy hammer to remove. I'm ready to put the front muffler back on and I'm having the same problem with it being very tight, the book says "fit the front muffler and slide it backwards and forwards" to allow the middle pipes to fit easier, but mine is solid as I try to fit it.

I noticed the 2 pipes coming out of the back of the front muffler can point slightly up or down depending on which way you fit it. Which is the correct way, back pipes going up, or down? There are 2 'indents' on the muffler too, again, do they face up or down?
Really appreciate any replies, this seems to be one of those answers not explained in the book?
Paul.

Old 09-22-2018, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Attached is the parts diagram showing installation. Looks like they point slightly down.

The following users liked this post:
euphonium01 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 08:10 AM

Hi avern1, yes, that's the way I'm trying to fit it but goodness it's tight! It's back on that way, and seeing if the rest fits ok, maybe it's just how it is? I can get the rest of the exhaust on so will finish buttoning up and see how it goes. Many thanks for the reply, Paul

Old 09-22-2018, 09:12 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just 3 days ago a mechanic needed almost 2 hours to remove mine and replace it with a fresher example.
Anyway, the indents face down. Good luck, it is not a pleasant job!

Old 09-22-2018, 02:09 PM

2 conflicting answers now lol. I've fitted it with the rear tails pointing down, but that means the indents on the actual muffler are facing up! Turning it so the indents are down means removing it again, it's certainly not a pleasant job on the floor with the car on stands

Old 09-22-2018, 02:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I would stick with the drawing. Someone spent a lot of time showing that feature.

euphonium01 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanks avern1, I think you're right

Old 09-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

This was mine earlier this year, never removed.

euphonium01 (09-22-2018)
Old 09-22-2018, 09:01 PM

Hi Eric, and thanks for your reply, it's good to hear from you again. How are you and your family keeping, it's been such a long time since we caught up? Last time we were chatting you were recovering with a damaged shoulder I believe, then I took ill and was out for a long time? You will have to forgive the long(ish) post, but I will try and explain what's been going on

I can see from your picture that the indents on the muffler are facing upwards, and the tails from the muffler are slightly pointing down, that's a relief as it's how I put mine back together . Why it was so tight to fit back on to the down pipes I guess I will never know, but I had to use some wood placed on the end of the muffler and belt it with a heavy hammer!

But the muffler Thread is not the start of my recent nightmares. As you may have read in a few different threads, I have been trying to get rid of that rumble I've had since day one of owning the car. I strongly suspected the prop-shaft to be the culprit and felt that existing threads had wondered from the point, so I started a new one ( https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...roblem-207717/ ). A few people pointed out about using different washers/nuts/bolts etc. could radically alter the balance, then I got a reply from M Stojanovic regarding which way round the couplings should go, he also mentioned about how the balance could be affected by using different fixings. He pointed out that Jaguar says the "drive-shaft and couplings should NEVER be separated"! So I checked mine, and sure enough I had a coupling the wrong way round. It occurred to me that Jaguar saying they should never be separated was because the shaft and couplings were balanced together during manufacture, and I knew that I had my shaft balance without the couplings on, it all pointed to the prop-shaft, so I set too taking it off.

M Stojanovic has been brilliant with his input, and helped every step of the way. I took his advice and had the shaft all re-balanced with new couplings on this time, including new bolts/washers/nuts from Jaguar. After refitting the prop-shaft I was putting the exhaust back on and came across the problem of which way it should go, hence this post.

Alas, doing this work seems to have opened a few cans of worms, this is the reason I have quite a few threads running at the moment, it's difficult to know if I should have listed ALL the problems in one thread? This is now getting to read like a horror story!!!!

The worst problem happened today after I got the prop-shaft and full exhaust back on. The car had been stood for nearly 2 weeks, and when I turned it over it was slow but started first turn of the key, it ran for around 20 seconds with at least 1 cylinder not firing and then cut out. I couldn't get it started again as the battery went flat. I quickly hooked it up to my wife's car with jumper cables and it fired once then nothing. Now it flings over exactly as it did when I got the dreaded bore wash, the very same problem you first helped me with all that time ago. So I'm now pulling the plugs on the left bank to put some oil down there again as I did before. The battery is on charge overnight so see what happens tomorrow (fingers, toes, and everything else crossed). Pulling the plugs to put the oil down I thought I would renew them, so I had a read-up on one of the 'stickies', goodness me, the amount of controversy about which spark plugs to use and the correct gap size is staggering lol! There even seems to be disagreement over whether to use anti-seize coating on the plug threads?

So it's dilemma time for me again Eric, I've done all this work and don't know if my prop-shaft efforts have worked because the damn car won't start, it was running beautiful when I started doing the prop. It would be most appreciated if you have any advice on :-
Do you feel I've done the right thing with the prop-shaft?
Is there anything else you can advise on the cause of the 50-70 rumble?
Is the car running for only 20 seconds likely cause the bore wash problem again?

The only thing I feel confident I've achieved so far is getting the exhaust on correctly lol, thanks to your good self and others for that.

Let me know how you are doing first, the car problems will always wait...
Paul

Old 09-23-2018, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
This was mine earlier this year, never removed.

This means mine was installed wrong. My apologies. No wonder it was blowing.

Old 09-23-2018, 04:49 PM

Hi Johnjagxj, when you said indents pointing down I thought it a bit strange, but I fitted mine originally so I thought maybe I did it wrong then? Anyway, sorry to hear yours is blowing, maybe my small dilemma has answered a question for you?
Paul.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:47 AM

Hi Paul, I checked last night because I was starting to get worried after reading this thread.
Thankfully the "new" exchange exhaust was installed correctly. So yes, thank you
The blowing was with the old exhaust.