XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Hello, new member here, I have a Valet problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2016, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Hello, new member here, I have a Valet problem

Hello

I have a jaguar xj8 from 1998 and I have a valet problem. None of the recomandations from the previsious suggestions from other threads help me.
I think it's appart from the rest

So, let's begin:

> I have only the black headed key without any remote, I unlock the doors from the key hole with this key. ( when i put it in D to go, the doors lock automaticly)

> when I'm in the car with it running and press the trunk open button, it says VALET MODE

> when I try to open the trunk with the key it won;t let my. It turns a little but no efect

> when i push the button from the trunk to open it, a sound from inside sounds, and at the board appers VALET MODE.

It is an unique problem I think, I tried some methods up but none describes my case exactly.

Please, any suggestions are welcomed as winter comes in my country and I don't want to get stranded with my battery dead and with my trunk unopened.

THANK YOU!!!

Old 11-14-2016, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

When you put the key in the lock it should rotate a full 90 deg. and the lock should release. If it doesn't do so the lock needs cleaning. Squirting penetrating oil in the keyhole and working the key should loosen it.

The following users liked this post:
Coltatu (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 03:30 PM

Hey RJ237,
Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Tommorow morning I will go and see if it rotates a full 90 degree, if not I will buy WD-40. It is good ?

Old 11-14-2016, 03:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

If the black key will open the trunk after spraying it with the WD-40 then it is possible that the valet button is stuck. You might try spraying it with electronic cleaner and pressing it many times to free it up. It is similar to the sticking problem of the Hazard switch.
The valet mode should automatically shut off once the vehicle is started with the proper key.

Coltatu (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 03:45 PM

When I press the valet button it sounds and valet mode appears on the board, and also when I press trunk open button, valet mode appears on the board...

Old 11-14-2016, 04:51 PM
Veteran Member
Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

First, stop pushing the dang valet mode button - that is making your issue worse. If you have only the black key then you cannot use valet mode anyway (you need the green-key to lock-out valets from your trunk).

I had both keys and shaved down my green to work like a 2nd black one because valet mode is of no use to me.

If you are in valet mode then the black key is the ONLY way to enter your trunk, aside from drilling a hole underneath the license plate to manually access the release cable.

Valet mode in my car ONLY deactivates when you open the trunk using the black key. Nothing else shuts it off, not starting the car with the black key, nothing. Presumably, if you disconnect the battery for 30+ seconds it will disable the mode but the battery is in the trunk, so that does not help you, lol, and it is possible that the SLCM (security module) saves the valet mode setting through a battery disconnect anyway.

You need to find a way to make your black key turn in your trunk lock.

Once you do that, all the electronic trunk access will start working too (button on trunk lid, in car, on the remote fob if you get one and program it to your car, etc.)

Coltatu (11-14-2016)
Old 11-14-2016, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

FYI, in the trunk it turns 90-degrees in the clockwise direction (turning away from the license plate)

Old 11-14-2016, 04:58 PM

Thanks vdpnyc.

So, I will try with wd-40 to open the trunk, yes I have only the black key,
I will respond as soon as possible

Old 11-15-2016, 03:28 PM

Thanks a lot guys !!!!
WOW...didn't see that coming so fast. WD-40 is an amazing spray ))

I opened my boot today after spraying some wd40 in there. OK, problem solved...
Now, when for example i,m in p position and my engine is running, when i press the open boot button, it still says on the board valet mode. ?

and the second question is, can i make the car's phone, that motorola that is still woring, get some nowadays signal? with a sim card or something? maybe just as a emision reception device ?

THX

Old 11-15-2016, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 487 Likes on 370 Posts

I believe the stock phone isn't supported anymore by any current carriers, though some people may have found a way to work around that and use the stock phone wiring with newer phone systems?

I think what most usually do is wire in an aux input and plug a bluetooth transmitter into that to set up a hands-free system, but that's basically separate from the factory phone.

Old 11-16-2016, 12:59 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Coltatu
Thanks a lot guys !!!!
WOW...didn't see that coming so fast. WD-40 is an amazing spray ))

I opened my boot today after spraying some wd40 in there. OK, problem solved...
Now, when for example i,m in p position and my engine is running, when i press the open boot button, it still says on the board valet mode. ?

and the second question is, can i make the car's phone, that motorola that is still woring, get some nowadays signal? with a sim card or something? maybe just as a emision reception device ?

THX
You're still in valet mode - try opening the trunk with the key several times, be sure to turn the key to the full open position (no force needed though, don't break the key in there!)

If that doesn't do it, try disconnecting the battery for a full minute (called a hard reset) - I'm not sure that will disable valet mode, but it's the next easiest thing to do.

If that doesn't turn it off, you'll need to take apart the inside of your trunk/boot and find the electronic sensor for the trunk lock and figure out why it's not deactivating.

The car phone is analog and thus useless in today's digital cellphone times. It's also illegal for the driver to use while driving in most of the world.

Last edited by vdpnyc; 11-16-2016 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 155 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Coltatu
THX
This thread should give you some insight on cancelling valet mode. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...99-xj8-112231/

check post #3 - Motorcarman knows his stuff.

Last edited by clyons; 11-16-2016 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:23 PM

Thanks guys, you really helped me, in my country there is no such thing as a jaguar forum or club, very hard to find someone who knows something about the car( technically speaking)

Another question...

In the odometer while I am driving or when my engine is on, a notice appears with a red light near that says: Drivers door open

even if my door is closed. Untill I get this fix, I don't know when exactly, can I do something ( does taking off the battery contact) to cancel and not show anymore this error, I really wanna see other data there as my mileage and so

THANKS !

Old 11-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by clyons
This thread should give you some insight on cancelling valet mode. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...99-xj8-112231/

check post #3 - Motorcarman knows his stuff.
Originally Posted by motorcarman
The boot lights HAVE to come on (boot open recognized) to cancel VALET MODE.

bob gauff
That's actually REALLY useful, given how frequently the boot lights fail to work on these cars.
Which reminds me, I should really do something about mine...

Old 11-17-2016, 06:22 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

I just replaced another boot lid latch switch TODAY on a 1997 XJ6. The switches are the same for the X300 and X308.

The customer complained that the boot lamps were inop. The switch failed.
You can 'short' the wires together to check if the circuit is good. If NOT then it is likely the harness damaged at the right lid hinge.

bob

omgimali (11-17-2016)
Old 11-17-2016, 09:57 PM
Veteran Member

I just replaced another boot lid latch switch TODAY on a 1997 XJ6. The switches are the same for the X300 and X308.

You can 'short' the wires together to check if the circuit is good. If NOT then it is likely the harness damaged at the right lid hinge.

bob
Have you had switches fail in a way that they only function in a delay after opening? Mine will not work for maybe 5 mins after it's been opened, but function mostly normally after that until it's been closed again for a while. Swapping in a junkyard switch made the issue worse, even though the replacement tested fine with a multimeter, and shorting the plug works fine. Haven't checked the wires for fraying at the hinge yet..

Old 11-18-2016, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

bob
i have a boot open warning for a while now, the lights come on sometimes but sometimes they don't, i changed the microswitch, it is still there.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by omgimali
i have a boot open warning for a while now, the lights come on sometimes but sometimes they don't, i changed the microswitch, it is still there.
If you unplug the microswitch harness inside the trunk lid and leave it disconnected does the message stay or ever come back? If it does then it's a short in other wiring or an issue with whichever module the microswitch goes to, SLCM? If it goes away completely then I'd guess your new microswitch is bad.

omgimali (11-19-2016)
Old 11-18-2016, 09:52 PM
Received 7,862 Likes on 4,752 Posts

You can remove the switch from the latch assy and 'flick' it several times to watch the lamp reaction for delay verification.

I had this fault on several cars and tried to spray the switch to clean the contacts (no change).

You need to diagnose the problem before you replace parts.

bob

Last edited by motorcarman; 11-19-2016 at 09:04 PM.
omgimali (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 08:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts

alright thanks guys, im going to try to remove the microswitch and check