XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Help troubleshooting new starter

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help troubleshooting new starter

I replaced the starter in my 01 this morning using an Autozone replacement. It was tested at AZ and worked then. Got it installed and connected and reconnected the battery. Went to start it but no start. Barely a whining motor sound, so I am not even sure it is running at all.

The one I removed had been making a lot of grinding noise over the last few days and then just quit engaging the flywheel. You could here it spin up when trying to start, just did not engage. When I pulled that one out it came out in pieces so I know it needed replaced.

Everything went in the same way it came out. Two large wires connected to the Positive terminal and one small starter wire connected to the small terminal. The only thing I think that may have happened is over tightening of the small starter wire terminal. That may have done some internal damage. I have another one ordered and I should have it tomorrow.

I would like to know if there is anything else I should have to look at that may be responsible for the problem. I am going to pull the non-working one out this evening.

TIA, Pat