XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

How does the door latch switch for the interior lights work

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Default How does the door latch switch for the interior lights work

I'm down to just the pass and drivers side rear doors turning on the interior lights. Can anybody give some insight into fixing this. Everything else seems to be working just fine no door open messages or inop locking system. I'm guessing it would likly be a dirty contact or bent contact right? Who has had success fixing the issue vs. buying a new set up. Thanks.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,803 Likes on 7,120 Posts

My experience is with the X300 so I can't swear the X308 is the same, but.....

The switch snaps into the door latch itself. First remove the latch....not too bad on the front doors but a bit of a struggle on the rears....and then remove the switch from the latch.

I could find no way of opening the switch for cleaning. However, the plunger has a tiny rubber sealing boot. Removing the boot allows some aerosol contact cleaner to be sprayed into the switch. Actually, I think I just submerged the switch in the cleaner.....can't quite remember. In any case, electrical function was restored.

Removing the boot destroys it so I used a glob of thick grease to seal the plunger. After 3 years, no problems....fingers crossed.

I have searched in vain for replacment switches. Somebody out there must have 'em but I just haven't hit paydirt yet. They are quite small, maybe 5/8" x 5/8". Jaguar does not sell them individually...you have to buy a new latch assembly

Cheers
DD

Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 AM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've been struggling with this issue too. I have a background in troubleshooting electrical malfunctions and have not discovered a clear solution to this problem. I would hate to replace the door switch ($150) for this problem if I could repair it myself AND I have THREE doors that are giving me problems!

Old 12-19-2010, 01:28 PM
ud
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by squish
I've been struggling with this issue too. I have a background in troubleshooting electrical malfunctions and have not discovered a clear solution to this problem. I would hate to replace the door switch ($150) for this problem if I could repair it myself AND I have THREE doors that are giving me problems!
I wouldn't say I have a background in troubleshooting electrical malfunctions but I do own a TVR with double the wiring since it can't be grounded through the body. I have a spare latch I'll dig out and play with soon as I remember where it is. Let me know how you make out, I'll do the same.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,620 Likes on 874 Posts

Hi
I found this post on the Jaguar Clubs of NA forum:
"I don't know if this will help but here I go. With Fords this is a common problem because the door ajar switch is in the door latch. They attract dust and grim and will stick open even when the door is closed and locked. A quick fix for Fords is to spray a good mount of WD-40 using the straw into the latch in the door side of the door jam to clean it out really good and then open and close the door several times to unstick the door latch switch. I imagine Jaguars are probably about the same and it may work. Anyway it is cheaper than a new switch.
joe

2003 XK8 Convertible"

Give it a try. Hope this works.
Jim Lombardi