XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

The jaguar difference

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 02:56 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default The jaguar difference

Found this video on the web about 10 minutes and it feels every single quote sums up what is wrong with modern jaguar in contrast with the x308 era with some pictures or the new at the time x200, xk8, and various x308 videos

https://youtu.be/ysgBNYzk0m0

Last edited by Jaguarstyper; 06-08-2019 at 03:02 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,008 Likes on 613 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysgB...ature=youtu.be

Yes, Jaguar had a reputation for style, luxury and speed, at an affordable price......what was it, "Grace, Space & Pace".

I fear something has been lost since the X308, it seems to be the last of a line of cars of unmistakable styling.

I adore the styling of the XK120.......an absolutely fabulously styled car in 1951.

Then the E-Type took the world by storm 10 years later with its phenomenal styling, to be reminisced in the later XK8

The MKX introduced the 4 headlight, leaned back front end in 1961, which went on to be the trademark of the very successful XJ6 in 1968, and it's continued styling cues survived through the X308.

But I'm afraid that the styling seems to be lacking after that and I can't get excited about post 2003 Jaguars.

Last edited by Carnival Kid; 06-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carnival Kid:
Roldano (06-09-2019), XJDanny (06-11-2019)
Old 06-08-2019, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Carnival Kid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysgB...ature=youtu.be

Yes, Jaguar had a reputation for style, luxury and speed, at an affordable price......what was it, "Grace, Space & Pace".

I fear something has been lost since the X308, it seems to be the last of a line of cars of unmistakable styling.

I adore the styling of the XK120.......an absolutely fabulously styled car in 1951.

Then the E-Type took the world by storm 10 years later with its phenomenal styling, to be reminisced in the later XK8

The MKX introduced the 4 headlight, leaned back front end in 1961, which went on to be the trademark of the very successful XJ6 in 1968, and it's continued styling cues survived through the X308.

But I'm afraid that the styling seems to be lacking after that and I can't get excited about post 2003 Jaguars.
I'm hoping with the departure of ian callum and the x351 that another era of classically styles cars that appeared around the turn of the melinium another era of jaguar standing apart not worrying about the Germans

Old 06-10-2019, 10:38 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Well, I own an X-308 and at the same time think the new Jaguars are brilliant. My only problem with the current XJ is poor suspension compliance due to its rubber-band tires on oversized wheels. Apparently the just-announced new-generation Rolls Phantom has the same suspension issues!

That aside, to me the Tata-financed but purely British current lineup is wonderfully modern and once again able to show that it has what the Germans will never have: sex appeal.

If I could afford it I’d probably have an F-Type coupe with 6-banger and manual shift. I can’t believe they spent a fortune on the manual, when only a handful will be sold. It’s a very Jaguar thing to do.

if your mindset is stuck in the past, you’re missing out on a lot.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:43 PM
Received 33 Likes on 16 Posts

Whoops, I don’t follow current automotive news. But if Ian Callum has left Jaguar that can mean only one thing: that Tata is withdrawing funding. Anyone who thinks this is good news will get an argument from me. Me, and thousands of soon-to-be-unemployed British workers at Castle Bromwich.

Old 06-11-2019, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Johntechwriter
Whoops, I don’t follow current automotive news. But if Ian Callum has left Jaguar that can mean only one thing: that Tata is withdrawing funding. Anyone who thinks this is good news will get an argument from me. Me, and thousands of soon-to-be-unemployed British workers at Castle Bromwich.
Not exactly they have already appointed a new chief who worked at lotus on the elise which is a stunning car and even if tata pulls out which is unlikely another company has showed interest i belive it was Renault. I say callum retireing is a good thing becuse his work gas gotten dull the s type update was good and the xk was great but the I pace is just ugly and the xf and xe are too similer to the germans and each other

Old 06-11-2019, 12:12 AM

Well, I own an X-308 and at the same time think the new Jaguars are brilliant. My only problem with the current XJ is poor suspension compliance due to its rubber-band tires on oversized wheels. Apparently the just-announced new-generation Rolls Phantom has the same suspension issues!

That aside, to me the Tata-financed but purely British current lineup is wonderfully modern and once again able to show that it has what the Germans will never have: sex appeal.

If I could afford it I’d probably have an F-Type coupe with 6-banger and manual shift. I can’t believe they spent a fortune on the manual, when only a handful will be sold. It’s a very Jaguar thing to do.

if your mindset is stuck in the past, you’re missing out on a lot.
Ive looked at current jags well mostly the xe and pre 2012 xf (never the xj i just cant stand the look of that car) and i liked the way they drove and even was pretty close to leasing an xe but it just didnt have the soul the x308 or even the x type has it just felt like my freinds 5 serise or any another other German car. Jaguar had a car the b99 which looked great and wasnt an attempt to follow the germans which is what the current state of jaguar is, follow the Germans. Jaguar needs to get out of the pack and make its own image becuse audi, bmw, and Mercedes aren't going to lose at there own game any time soon.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 264 Likes on 145 Posts

I think the new sports cars look fabulous. I have a ‘14 XKR convertible and I can’t say enough good things about it. It performs as good as it looks. Wonderful car!

Regarding the sedans, however, that is another story. The X308 was the last special sedan. The X308 (and X300) is as beautiful as the Series III. The X350/X358 is okay but it’s just not special. It doesn’t move me. I don’t look at it and think it’s a work of art like I do with the X308 and the Series III. Too bad. Someone on here said the new sedans look like a bar of Dove soap just like all the other manufacturers’ sedans. Sadly, I agree.

The following users liked this post:
Jaguarstyper (06-11-2019)
Old 06-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by XJDanny
I think the new sports cars look fabulous. I have a ‘14 XKR convertible and I can’t say enough good things about it. It performs as good as it looks. Wonderful car!

Regarding the sedans, however, that is another story. The X308 was the last special sedan. The X308 (and X300) is as beautiful as the Series III. The X350/X358 is okay but it’s just not special. It doesn’t move me. I don’t look at it and think it’s a work of art like I do with the X308 and the Series III. Too bad. Someone on here said the new sedans look like a bar of Dove soap just like all the other manufacturers’ sedans. Sadly, I agree.
Indeed I spent a lot of time in a X350 years ago & it simply wasn't for me. The new breed of sport coupes seem to have kept to the low slung sex appeal that are/were the Jaguar signature. The sedans may as well be a Lexus,Infiniti etc.

Last edited by King Charles; 06-11-2019 at 08:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jaguarstyper (06-11-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 04:44 PM
Received 293 Likes on 163 Posts

I like your positive attitude towards the new style 'Callum' Jags although I don't share it. To me, true style comes from within, while trends and fashion come from without. Callum Jags to me are more focused on fashion. I was at Jag when Geoff Lawson worked there and then passed and Callum took over. I thought it was in very bad taste the way he derided Lawsons incredible and timeless work.
To me, they are derivative and unremarkable. I don't see any Jaguar DNA. But that's my opinion.

Regarding Tata- I whole heartedly agree with you. People criticize Tata for the new era of Jags, but Tata have only been good for Jaguar. The Callum era Jags were in the pipeline long before Tata.

Tata never micromanaged and had a refreshingly long term view for Jaguar. The thing they perhaps should have done - was focused on cutting some of the middle to upper management. Way too top heavy and inept.

The stuff we're seeing now- Jaguar did to themselves. Putting ALL Their eggs in the China market and minimizing the US market is a problem of poor vision and strategic planning with a bit of greed thrown in.

The friends I have at Jag- and who remained and climbed the ranks were so convinced of their own superiority and how great they were, they reminded me of liberal elite Prius and Tesla drivers.

The following 2 users liked this post by Count Iblis:
Spikepaga (10-07-2019), XJDanny (06-14-2019)
Old 06-16-2019, 02:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

Once the big cat gets under your skin that’s it, you’re hooked. It doesn’t matter if you go 5, 10 or 20 years between Jaguars you will always want another. Believe me I’ve tried other brands but it’s always Jaguar I come home to. I worked for a BMW dealership for a short time and had the opportunity to drive many of their current vehicles. Truly awful machines, low quality interiors, tacky switches and mediocre design. Same with Mercedes which are plastic fantastic inside and tweaked Renault designs outside. Once I had a 2018 BMW 530D to use for a 48 hours because I had to travel to another site, it was completely soulless. Another time I had to use a 1 series which was so bad I drove home, switched to the Jag and used that instead which was a total breach of company policy! LOL

The best thing about driving an X308 though is it was an instant classic and even today I get people looking at it with appreciation or jealousy, because it is a pure unadulterated Jaguar from nose to tail.

The following 3 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
Carnival Kid (06-16-2019), neurojag (06-16-2019), XJDanny (06-16-2019)