XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

jaguar xjr 4.0 supercharged wont start

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar xjr 4.0 supercharged wont start

hello guys im new to this but here goes

i have a jaguar xjr 4.2 supercharged.

i had it stood for 3 years as i brought a new jag, i came to start it about 15 months ago and it was just turning over not fireing. but it was sparking as i squirted minimal amount of easy start so i new it was fireing,

then i left it for another year didnt try to start it just straight away i had the tank out and fuel pumps cleaned 1 of the pipes had come off top of fuel pump, so i assumed this was problem, put it all back together , come to start it and nothing not even clicking, ignition comes on, i had vault tested on starter and no power there either.

also wiper dont work squirter s dont work lights dont work, i have engine check light on and another light but i dont no what it is a bit like a bulb with a line through it,

so i dont no if ive done something wrong or if it was like this before i even took tank out., i wish i had tried it again before i pulled the tank out.,

im baffled on this 1 out of ideas i hope its not time for scrap yard,

just a update with my valult stick i have traced power to the starter motor, so should i pop this off clean it and test it, i took the earth cable off cleaned t but still nothing

appreciate any replies thanx jami

Old 06-13-2012, 08:47 PM
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

1st, four years of no charging, it time for a new battery.
2nd, how fresh in the fuel?
3rd, Air filter clean?
4th, Check to see if anything, made a nest in the exhaust.

All of the above needs to be checked and corrected for a car that sits that long.

Don't send it off to the salvage yard, if you get tired of part it out. You get more for parts than the yard will ever give you.

Old 06-14-2012, 01:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jaguar wont start

hi thanks for the reply, but the problem ife got is i cant even get it to turn over nothing is happening when i turn it after ignition point, ive put a different batery on with leads to another car so plenty of power, not checked the air filter but will do that tomorow, do you no were the main earthing strap is as i think ill lean the terminal theere, it can only be something as petty as that shoury and hopefully

Old 06-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 402 Likes on 299 Posts

Do you get any lights on the dash ? Radio work ? The main earth (ground) is from the negative battery post via braided cable to the body in the boot (trunk). There is another one going through the false bulkhead on RH side under hood - there's a stud that goes through the bulkhead (this is power, but very important). There is another under the car behind the RH front tire that goes from bellhousing to frame (I think, but you'll see it). These are all important. I have had a car not get power even while being jumped because of corroded battery cable ends.

Last edited by JimmyL; 06-14-2012 at 02:49 PM.