XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Jessie Jag's Busy Week

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts
Default Jessie Jag's Busy Week

I've had a busy week this last week, I've had a friend from the USA visiting. Actually he's a forum member and former X308 owner. We had a busy week planned so it was time for Jessie Jag to do a bit of work instead of sitting there looking pretty.

Monday we went to the City of Liverpool as it's close by and they needed time to get over the Jet Lag. We to see the Cathedrals, the music history and the historic buildings. A good time was had by all and I was able to snap a quick picture of Jessie Jag from 310 above the ground from the top of the Anglican Cathedral.

Can you see her?

Tuesday they went off to Edinburgh so I dropped them off at the Train Station early in the morning and enjoyed a spirited early morning drive home along the country roads.

Wednesday evening I returned to the station to pick them up but we had an unusually heavy night of rain. Despite the flooding, the lack of visibility and general madness of it all the Jag managed it without any troubles.

Glad I apply Aqua Wax after every wash.

Thursday we went to the Lake District which was a nice day out. However getting there was a challenge. The run up the motorway was an easy run, cruise control for most of it. However due to the rain the previous night many of the roads were closed. I happen to know the lakes quite well, so I had to go along roads less travelled. Jessie took it in her stride but she got a bit mucky. But we had a great day out.

Friday was the best day though because we went to Valhalla. Leaving very early in the morning we made our way to Castle Bromwich for a tour of the Jaguar Factory. We arrived at 08:30 and was warmly welcomed by all the staff. They appreciated my "classic" XJ and gave us a selection of coffee and pastries. Then we were taken into the press shop where saw the dies stacked up and the presses cutting and shaping bonnets for current XJ models. We then went into the production halls where we saw the XE and XF models being constructed. Much of the production has a human involvement and all the cars are treated to hand finishing before painting. After paint the cars and their engines are brought together along with the trim and wheels. Then the cars are brought to life and driven out to the test circuit. After the tour we returned to the visitor centre and after a chat with the guide, we left.

After leaving Castle Bromwich I then set off for the site of the former Browns Lane plant. There isn't much of it left now, but I was keen to go just to say I'd been there. I drove along the suburban residential road of Browns Lane imagining what it must have been like in the 60's being overshadowed by the factory. I imagined the sounds of the cars being tested and the many prototypes being developed. I then went around to where the factory used to stand to see what was left. JLR still have a small presence there as the Heritage workshops are there, but much of the factory had gone being turned into Housing or industrial units. I was however able to find just a small part of the factory still standing, and was able to show Jessie where she was born.

Many people will think I am perhaps a little mad for going on a pilgrimage to Browns Lane, but I don't think people understand just how much I love Jaguar and how much of an influence the big cat has had on me. I have always had a passion for the cars, especially the 50's and 60's cars. I wish I was able to afford to own some of the cars I love so much, but sadly I am not a rich man. But I have been so lucky over the years to know people who work for the brand and to have ridden in some of these beauties. But as I walked around the former factory car park and peered through the fence, I felt a prang of emotion as I thought back over all of the history that was made there. I am glad I was able to go so I can say I'd been there before it was lost forever.

I was born here...

One of the old factory gates.

From Browns Lane we went into the centre of Coventry to the Transport Museum where they had many tasty cars on display. They also had "The Jaguar Room" where some of the Heritage cars were on display. That was nice to see. After the museum we made our way to Oxford for our overnight stop. Driving through Coventry during rush hour, I noticed a lot of people looking at my car. The big cat still has a lot of respect in the town and I'm wiling to bet a lot of the people I saw looking once worked at the plant.

Saturday we went to Hampton Court Palace, and on the drive down we saw both an XJS and an XK8 which were both similar in colour to my own car. We also saw a lot of F Types and XF too. It was on this journey that we saw the only other X308 we'd seen all week. My U.S. friend had remarked several times how rare the cars appear to be in the UK now.

XK8 also in Zircon Blue

XJS DHC also in a similar colour to my car.

After Hampton Court we dropped our friends at their airport hotel and began to make our way home. Driving into the sunset on quiet Sunday evening motorways, the Jag was happy to sit on cruise all the way home. As I drove I reflected on the week, it had been a busy one. I really enjoyed driving the car, it had been great. Despite being 15 years old she was more than capable of mixing it with the new stuff. I love these cars and I'd happily jump in the car now and drive to the South of France. She's more than capable.

The following 4 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
A.J.P (11-28-2017), ericjansen (11-26-2017), King Charles (11-26-2017), sklimii (11-29-2017)
Old 11-26-2017, 03:47 PM
Received 66 Likes on 36 Posts

I loved reading this! I proudly display a Coventry grill badge on my Jackie. I am envious you were able to go there in person.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Excellent sir !

Old 11-26-2017, 08:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

That's a beautiful story, Stu.

I tried to Google a bit on location and history of Brown Lane, as well as a check on Google Maps, but there is indeed not much left of it .

And your car remains beautiful, how do I love the square look on those magnificent Flutes!

Last edited by ericjansen; 11-26-2017 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:30 AM
Veteran Member

It was important for me to go to Browns Lane and see what was there. I knew JLR still had a presence there, but I wanted to see the factory buildings. So much history was made there, the people who have houses built on former parts of the plant are likely ignorant of it. Going to Browns Lane for me was like Beatles fans going to Strawberry Fields. There’s nothing there except some gates, but I still felt the magic.

Old 11-28-2017, 04:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,352 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Stu 1986
Many people will think I am perhaps a little mad for going on a pilgrimage to Browns Lane, but I don't think people understand just how much I love Jaguar and how much of an influence the big cat has had on me
Stu,
Maybe you saw this one before, if not, a nice ride back in time for your beloved X308 (after some others....).

The following 2 users liked this post by ericjansen:
Scotlad (11-28-2017), Stu 1986 (11-28-2017)
Old 11-28-2017, 12:45 PM
Veteran Member

You are quite correct Eric, I've seen that video and others like it many times before. I was lucky enough as a child to be regularly be handed copies of the Jaguar Employee magazine by family friends who worked for the company, but sadly I no longer have them. They were thrown away after a flood ruined them when they were stored in the garage. But I remember there were many photos from the X308 production line and many articles on the cars and the past. My boss regularly gives me his copies of the JEC magazine nowadays which I do tend to keep.

Old 11-29-2017, 06:24 AM
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi Stu,
Great report on your travels,car's looking wonderful as usual Stu.
Just done a service on mine,first one in my ownership and followed your lead with the Super 4's and I'm not disappointed,car's running great,coming up to Blackpool over Xmas to visit my son,looking forward to that journey I can tell you.Furthest I've travelled since I've had the car is 100 mile trip to Exeter and back so I can't wait.
Have got the Transgo Pressure Regulator Valve coming over from the States so that will go in when I do a gearbox filter and oil change.
Keep up the good work Stu.
It's always great to read your post's.
Take Care.
Andy