XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Let's see some Sexy 308 Pictures

 
  #41  
Old 04-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Stu 1986's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Lancashire, Great Britain
Posts: 1,585
Received 426 Likes on 327 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sean B View Post
Don't know about sexy, outrageous maybe.

I know authenticity is a big issue but I'm not one of those people that has to have a car standard, the engine, brakes, interior, lighting and trim are all revised to my personal taste. And I love it to bits. The pearl paint catches only in broad sunlight, overcast days, of which there are many in the UK, it's Jag P.E.D..
Believe me I can vouch for that! I have seen this car in real life and it is a masterpiece of (a) man's devotion! Not only does it look good it sounds good and wakes up dead people. I can't wait to see the finished article!

Sean: So he talked you into the sparkles in the end then! LOL Looks good though.
 
  #42  
Old 04-02-2011, 03:47 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 222
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sean B View Post
@ Burmaz...maybe he's getting sick of it?!
I'm real tired of problems and I've only had the car a month. 3 weeks of that involve tranny issues. It is really discouraging. If it were not for the help of folks on this Site I would have burned the car by now.
 
  #43  
Old 04-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Stu 1986's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Lancashire, Great Britain
Posts: 1,585
Received 426 Likes on 327 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dba-one View Post
I'm real tired of problems and I've only had the car a month. 3 weeks of that involve tranny issues. It is really discouraging. If it were not for the help of folks on this Site I would have burned the car by now.
I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad time with the car old bean I hope you get your issues sorted soon so you can enjoy the car

P.S. If you do decide to burn the car let us know first so we can have some parts! (Only Joking-Don't hit me )
 
  #44  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:22 PM
burmaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mass.
Posts: 596
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dba-one View Post
I'm real tired of problems and I've only had the car a month. 3 weeks of that involve tranny issues. It is really discouraging. If it were not for the help of folks on this Site I would have burned the car by now.

I hear you man. My thermostat housing broke about 3 weeks ago. Got that replaced with the thermostat and a new water pump. Now I have 6 CEL codes that came up a few days ago! A cylinder is misfiring and now I have smoke coming from my hood as my valve cover gaskets have gotten rapidly worse in the past few days. I have only driven the car about 1/2 a mile since the misfire. Can a misfire damage the valve cover gaskets?

Thank God I can walk to class, b/c my car has been unreliable as of late.
 
  #45  
Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 222
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

I don't think it unreasonable to expect better of these cars. For a '98 my car has only 85k miles but has an issue for one of 185k. Jaguar has a bad reputation that seems they worked hard to deserve. I just hope that once I get this sorted out I'll love the car. If not, I'll be like the other side of Jag owners. Those are the never again type and I may be there soon.
 
  #46  
Old 04-03-2011, 05:43 PM
burmaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mass.
Posts: 596
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dba-one View Post
I don't think it unreasonable to expect better of these cars. For a '98 my car has only 85k miles but has an issue for one of 185k. Jaguar has a bad reputation that seems they worked hard to deserve. I just hope that once I get this sorted out I'll love the car. If not, I'll be like the other side of Jag owners. Those are the never again type and I may be there soon.
One thing I have thought about, even though I love my car to the extreme, how many of us XJ owners would have a XJ if they were ugly inside and outside in addition to these reliability problems? Even if they still had the same ride, features, handling, and comfort, I think the resale of these cars would be even way worse than they are now. If you also eliminate the prestige of the Jaguar name, and the XJ would be a tough sell.
 
  #47  
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 135
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by SirJag View Post
@ Chinny4290

Wow... beautiful photos (and car, of course)! What kind of camera did you use? They look like from a Jag brochure. Are you a pro photographer by any chance?

Sir Jag
This might come to a surprise but I am no pro. I just decided to take my PowerShot and iPhone4 (HD camera) and started snapping away and playing with the settings.

 
  #48  
Old 04-04-2011, 01:33 AM
Count Iblis's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Minnesota, USA
Posts: 613
Received 257 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by burmaz View Post
One thing I have thought about, even though I love my car to the extreme, how many of us XJ owners would have a XJ if they were ugly inside and outside in addition to these reliability problems? Even if they still had the same ride, features, handling, and comfort, I think the resale of these cars would be even way worse than they are now. If you also eliminate the prestige of the Jaguar name, and the XJ would be a tough sell.
I was a BMW man through and through long before I worked for and owned a Jaguar. I LOVED old school "Bracq" BMWs with their shark noses, turbine smooth stright six engines, "dreikugelwirbel" chamber fast burn combustion, and their semi trailing arm suspension which led to lively handling. Ergonomically masterful dashboards.They were also simple cars- easy to fix with all the engineering science physics fundamentals carried out flawlessly. However along came a Mormon by the name of Bangle and he ruined everything and made a mockery of the old school BMWs, with bland interiors and pretentious exteriors with awkward angles and weird shut lines on the back. In fairness there was some nice designs like the E39. But I was no longer interested in obtaining a modern BMW. It was finished. I still loved the engineering but I no longer desired or lusted after one. I was obviously one in a million though, as they continued to sell exceedingly well and people raved about them and even defended their looks...
Nowadays they're less risque and have gone towards the bland/boring/safe end of the spectrum.

I think some pretetious self important stylists should remind themselves that STYLE comes from within and fashion comes from with-out, or externally.
A good example of style is the X308 XJ, or the X100 XK series, a Maserati quattroporte, the Alfa Romeo 147 or 156,
Examples of mere fashion are: Renault Vel Satis, Peugeot 307, the new BMW 6 series and the E60 5 series. ALL IMHO. However its obvious that it seems to be FASHION that gets the numbers of sales
 

Last edited by Count Iblis; 04-04-2011 at 01:39 AM.
  #49  
Old 04-04-2011, 02:21 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: NJ
Posts: 135
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Count Iblis View Post
I was a BMW man through and through long before I worked for and owned a Jaguar. I LOVED old school "Bracq" BMWs with their shark noses, turbine smooth stright six engines, "dreikugelwirbel" chamber fast burn combustion, and their semi trailing arm suspension which led to lively handling. Ergonomically masterful dashboards.They were also simple cars- easy to fix with all the engineering science physics fundamentals carried out flawlessly. However along came a Mormon by the name of Bangle and he ruined everything and made a mockery of the old school BMWs, with bland interiors and pretentious exteriors with awkward angles and weird shut lines on the back. In fairness there was some nice designs like the E39. But I was no longer interested in obtaining a modern BMW. It was finished. I still loved the engineering but I no longer desired or lusted after one. I was obviously one in a million though, as they continued to sell exceedingly well and people raved about them and even defended their looks...
Nowadays they're less risque and have gone towards the bland/boring/safe end of the spectrum.

I have nearly the same exact opinions as this guy right here...except for Mercedes-Benz. I'm a Mercedes nut at heart.
 
  #50  
Old 04-04-2011, 05:39 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 222
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Yes, Bangle is responsible for some very ugly cars. I favor the E39 though. The 7 series long wheel base cars have a lot of understated class. My Jag has class by the bucket load. It just has issues that are currently overshadowing all of that.

Edit:
I meant E38, not the E39.
 

Last edited by dba-one; 04-05-2011 at 05:29 PM.
  #51  
Old 04-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Cadillac's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Planetarium
Posts: 11,353
Received 603 Likes on 420 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dba-one View Post
Yes, Bangle is responsible for some very ugly cars. I favor the E39 though. The 7 series long wheel base cars have a lot of understated class. My Jag has class by the bucket load. It just has issues that are currently overshadowing all of that.

I agree, I think this cost him his career in BMW . I have not seen any further uglier BMW models
 
  #52  
Old 04-05-2011, 06:56 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 293
Received 107 Likes on 54 Posts
Default

++++1 !!!

As a long time BMW fan I always admired the sleek lines of the big 7-series sedans.
Not to mention all of the trend-setting technical and electrical features they offered and the way they combined luxury with a sportscar feeling. I drove various models since 1996 but the E38 (last pre-bangle shape) was my last one.
The E65 never grew on me (and will always be an ugly car for me).

But - shouldn't that be an X308 picture thread?

 
  #53  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Stu 1986's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Lancashire, Great Britain
Posts: 1,585
Received 426 Likes on 327 Posts
Default

I always liked that shape 7 Series after seeing it in action in " Tomorrow Never Dies" But it was always Jaguar with me, now its in the blood. I love my X308 I really wouldn't change it for anything, I don't know of anything I'd rather have. Just looking at the lines is good-the shapes are right. I like how the inboard headlights are a little further forward than the outer ones and how the body curves around. I love the filler cap being on the rear deck so as not to ruin the body shape. I love the interior and the colours inside, I love the feel of the wooden rim wheel in my hands. I very rarely, if ever get frustrated with other traffic when in my Jag, it is such a calm and serene place to be nothing bothers me.

However what the X350 was supposed to be I don't know, and the new XJ looks a lot like the Citroen C6 from certain angles. One thing that can be said for certain about the X308, there isn't and never was anything on the road that even comes close to the beauty of these cars.
 
  #54  
Old 04-05-2011, 02:31 PM
burmaz's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Mass.
Posts: 596
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Stu 1986 View Post
I always liked that shape 7 Series after seeing it in action in " Tomorrow Never Dies" But it was always Jaguar with me, now its in the blood. I love my X308 I really wouldn't change it for anything, I don't know of anything I'd rather have. Just looking at the lines is good-the shapes are right. I like how the inboard headlights are a little further forward than the outer ones and how the body curves around. I love the filler cap being on the rear deck so as not to ruin the body shape. I love the interior and the colours inside, I love the feel of the wooden rim wheel in my hands. I very rarely, if ever get frustrated with other traffic when in my Jag, it is such a calm and serene place to be nothing bothers me.

However what the X350 was supposed to be I don't know, and the new XJ looks a lot like the Citroen C6 from certain angles. One thing that can be said for certain about the X308, there isn't and never was anything on the road that even comes close to the beauty of these cars.
The New XJ is hideous IMO. The front looks nice, but the side profile has to be one of the ugliest of any new car. The rear doors look too small, and the C pillar fails at the sedan-coupe look. The whole rear end is a mess. I have been inside one. The interior is ok. Its modern, but I think the 7 series and Audi A8 have nicer interiors.

The front end is a knockoff of the Quatroporte. I'm surprised to not hear more comparisons between the two cars in the front. Both are beautiful from the front, but the Quatroportte is beautiful from all angles. That car should have been the new XJ. The Quatroporte has a bland interior that is worse than the new XJ however.
 
  #55  
Old 04-05-2011, 05:32 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 222
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

The front totally doesn't match the rest of the new XJ. I've only seen a few in person so I'm going to hold back on an opinion besides what I've written. I'll give it time but the front being more round while the rest is angular isn't good. Of course, with the new XJ being so radically different than past models it is given that many would be turned off by it.
 
  #56  
Old 04-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Stu 1986's Avatar
Veteran Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: West Lancashire, Great Britain
Posts: 1,585
Received 426 Likes on 327 Posts
Default

Follow this link: Bertone B 99 concept for Jaguar leaks out ahead of Geneva — Autoblog

This is a concept of the XJ from Bertone, who isn't the best of design houses. Why the Fri* Jaguar didn't make this I don't know! It was the next logical step!
 
  #57  
Old 04-06-2011, 05:16 PM
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 222
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Give it a longer wheelbase and it would be very nice.
 
  #58  
Old 04-07-2011, 07:18 AM
grandell's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 893
Received 190 Likes on 154 Posts
Default

dragging this back on track..... :P

Name:  burnout.jpg
Views: 1384
Size:  35.8 KB
 
  #59  
Old 04-07-2011, 10:14 AM
bigcat's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

'99 XJR. Sadly, I'm not much of a photographer...



 
The following users liked this post:
RIXJ8 (12-18-2011)
  #60  
Old 04-07-2011, 12:46 PM
JagScott's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Boise Idaho
Posts: 181
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

'99 XJR. Sadly, I'm not much of a photographer...
The pictures are actually very good.
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Let's see some Sexy 308 Pictures


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: