XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Looking to buy a late model xj8 have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 09:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,064 Likes on 867 Posts

I do not think any SC engine components are upgraded, but the pistons are different for a lower compression ration and the SC does not have VVT. The SC therefore needs an EGR valve since the VVT does that function for the NA models. Some of the cooling components are different on the SC, including the thermostat riser housing and the crossover pipe, which are failure prone on the NA.

One peculiarity is that X-308 Jags had an engine upgrade, with early models carrying the so called AJ26 and the later engines being AJ27. The change year was 1999 for NA engines and 2000 for SC variants.

Of course, the transmission is a stronger design on the SC.

Old 08-23-2015, 01:37 PM
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sRule
BTW - $5750 is not a bad price, not great but a very nice car for the money. Jags in good, well maintained condition sell for more than book a lot of the time.

The S/C cars, the XJR and Vanden Plas SC, are more stout in many good areas! I didn't even consider an XJ8 when looking for a DD because of the issues they have.

The XJR has a reliable Eaton M112 blower. It has a very reliable Mercedes 722.6 transmission (called W5A580 in this application). It has an aluminum, not plastic, thermostat housing. It does NOT have variable valve timing like the base NA cars.

The rule of thumb on these cars in regards to secondary timing chain tensioners is that unless you have concrete proof from a verified engine code (not VIN, but actual engine tag is out of the range of affected engines), or excellent proof they were replaced with the metal bodied tensioners, pull the covers and see. To do just secondary tensioners in your garage is a 4-6 hour affair, and if you use the zipp tie method (zip tie cam sprockets to cam chains, rather than using Jaguar timing tools and removing the non-keyed sprocket) and the Ford/Lincoln parts; you should be able to do this for $250 doing a bit of while you're there stuff!

Earlier cars, 8 AND R, up until an engine date code of a certain date in 2001 (not production year of car, production date and time of the engine) had Nikasil cylinder linings instead of a conventional pressed in steel lining. These are used in Ferraris, Porsches, BMW, many motor racing applications; etc. The nikasil engines are vulnerable to high sulfur gas that was common in the US in the time the earlier cars were put into service. This is not an issue gas wise anymore. The general consensus is that if you have a good nikasil engine, take care of it, avoid lots of short not to operating temp trips, and you'll never have to worry. There is a leakdown test a dealer can perform if you would like to analyze the health of a specific nikasil lined engine. I have two cars with Nikasil engines and have no qualms at all.

My 98 XJR is a good DD in it's configuration. It does NOT have CATS, just regular shock absorbers. It has the base brakes, NOT Brembo. The Brembo units are excellent, but are much more costly to service, and not easy in my neck of the woods to get parts right away.

I service my cars myself for a pittance, and I'm guessing if you are a Subie enthusiast, you know how to work a wrench. These are quite simple cars. Front engine V8, conventional autobox out to RWD. There are quirks but these are good solid cars when you buy a good one.
Thanks 80sRule, good information there just what i was looking for. Yes I do all of my own maintenance on my cars myself, I'm not afraid of turning a wrench, or spending a whole weekend in the garage, especially now that I just install air conditioning in the gaarge !
I'm actually going to look at that $5700 xjr today and see how firm he is on the price.

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
I do not think any SC engine components are upgraded, but the pistons are different for a lower compression ration and the SC does not have VVT. The SC therefore needs an EGR valve since the VVT does that function for the NA models. Some of the cooling components are different on the SC, including the thermostat riser housing and the crossover pipe, which are failure prone on the NA.

One peculiarity is that X-308 Jags had an engine upgrade, with early models carrying the so called AJ26 and the later engines being AJ27. The change year was 1999 for NA engines and 2000 for SC variants.

Of course, the transmission is a stronger design on the SC.
As these car age do the EGRs tend to cause problems, do they need replacing on higher mileage models? Here in California we have to smog-check our cars every two years to renew the registration.

Old 08-23-2015, 04:17 PM
Veteran Member

I have never had any problem with EGR on either of my XJRs- both with high mileage. The things that "get you" on emissions tests are fuel mixture and evap controls in my experience, but they are no different than any car of this age.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by sparkenzap
I have never had any problem with EGR on either of my XJRs- both with high mileage. The things that "get you" on emissions tests are fuel mixture and evap controls in my experience, but they are no different than any car of this age.
Coincidentally, I went to look at the XJR in the link a few posts back and while I was test driving it a check engine light came on. I happened to have a bluetooth obdii scanner in my car so when I got back to it I check the code. It was p0400, Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Malfunction.

Also during the drive a low engine coolant warning came up, the seller said that was just a faulty sensor and that the warning comes and goes.

It was a shame, the car was in very nice shape, very well cared for, but the biggest deal breaker was that it was a smokers car. The other stuff didn't scare me off at all, the CEL would have to be fixed of course to pass smog and register the car, the faint whiff of stale cigarette smoke made me ultimately say no. I tried to ignore it tell myself it wasn't that big a deal but I know that you can never really get the smell of cigarettes out of a car.

Old 08-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Veteran Member

And... I gotta suspect he had reset the code before you drove it, calling into question his honesty.

Old 08-23-2015, 08:20 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I had problems with P0400 on my XJR. The fix is usually to remove the EGR valve, and clean it out. They fill up with crud (technical term) and then the flow is wrong / blocked.

Old 08-23-2015, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mark SF
I had problems with P0400 on my XJR. The fix is usually to remove the EGR valve, and clean it out. They fill up with crud (technical term) and then the flow is wrong / blocked.
Doesn't sound like to bad of a fix. How accessible is the EGR? Is it pretty easy to get to in the engine bay? But the CEL wasn't even what turned me off the purchase, the car was a smoker's car and even though it was faint you could still smell the stale smoke. You never can really get that smell out. Lesson for the smokers out there, don't smoke in your car if you ever plan on selling it down the road. Easiest way to ruin a car is to smoke in it.

Old 08-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Veteran Member

As EGRs go, the X-308 one is a PITA in my opinion. It is buried behibnd the TB and if you got big hands, they will be skinned before you get it off!

Old 08-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 416 Likes on 316 Posts

I got lucky with mine, as I got a call from the dealer after a couple of months saying that the smog they did on the car expired just before they submitted the paperwork to the DMV, so they needed to smog it again. That meant that they got to fix the EGR valve.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:29 PM
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

PM sent. I'm in LA and looking to part with my XJ8. I'd be shocked if you can find one in SoCal that has better DOCUMENTED maintenance history.

Old 09-03-2015, 06:02 PM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by OUScooby
I was completely serious about the rear trays. It's childish and stupid and completely irrational given I'll never be the one to use them but for some reason I want them. I don't want them enough for it be deal breaker between buying a car that has them over buying a car that doesn't but like I said, they make me smile.
You can install the tray tables if you like. Not hard to do, I put them in my 2001 XJR, the entire seat backs with tray tables were about $150 on Ebay then, not sure what they are going for now.

More info here, mine is post #16: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ns-less-93545/
Vector

Last edited by Vector; 09-03-2015 at 06:05 PM.