XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My car seems to be a magnet for assholes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My car seems to be a magnet for ********

I'm so frustrated right now. I live in a large gated apartments complex with wide parking spaces, and even like that I'm always careful about where and how I park. Well, that hasn't helped me much, just about every couple of days I find a new ding/scratch on my doors and scratches on the side of the rear bumper. Not to mention one day I found a big scratch in the shape of an x and a large scuff from a rock on my window. Obvious to me that they scratch the window then try to brake it with a rock but it didnt brake. And no, I haven't had any problems with anybody in the complex and it's not a bad area either. Would it be possible to have only the doors painted and the dings removed? I can't afford to have the whole car painted.
Thanks for the suggestions

Old 09-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Anything is possible, but unless you are moving, or selling the car, what is the point?

You can get invisible window repairs, don't know what you would call that service over there.

It will only happen all over again

Old 09-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't you hate that... We have the same problem with our '02 XJ8 (black/black). If we park in the back of a parking lot with no other cars around when we come out there are inevitably old rust buckets parked next to us on each side and new door dings. Seems inescapable

What's somebody to do that just wants to keep their car nice looking?

Old 09-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by sjaurora
Don't you hate that... We have the same problem with our '02 XJ8 (black/black). If we park in the back of a parking lot with no other cars around when we come out there are inevitably old rust buckets parked next to us on each side and new door dings. Seems inescapable

What's somebody to do that just wants to keep their car nice looking?
I know exactly how that goes, when I go to the supermarket I always think people are seeing me and thinking I'm weird cause I park at the very end of the lot where there's no cars, only to come out of the store and find my car surrounded by shopping carts etc.

Old 09-08-2010, 06:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The car did attract you.....

Old 09-08-2010, 06:19 PM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

John, John....that was really uncalled for. The poor guy has enough frustration trying to take care of something nice, in the face of jealous jerks, without having you try to make him feel worse....

Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Very frustrating. I overheard an older lady talking about how she likes to park up real close to people who have nice cars the first day I drove mine to work!!! STAY OUT OF WALMART parking lots.

Old 09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You are right. I should not have taken the cheap shot. It just screamed out for the response. I too have the same problem with my cars. Sometimes I drive my trashed 98 suburban when I go to the store so I don't have to worry about where I park. Just this weekend I had to pull a shopping cart out of my wife's MB grille. \

I agree with the post, but I am just not mature enough to pass up the chance to make the comment. Sorry.

Old 09-09-2010, 03:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 637 Likes on 439 Posts

That's just an unacceptable and obnoxious behavior .The person who is interested in making such incidents get a life .

Old 09-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I try to park as far from the others as I can where there is much fewer cars to cause a "Danger Zone" for my XJ. However I still find someone parked next to my car when I return, do they think my car is lonely or something?

Old 09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 10,757 Likes on 7,101 Posts

Originally Posted by johnleavitt
You are right. I should not have taken the cheap shot. It just screamed out for the response.

Well, some opportunities are too good to pass up....especially given the subject line in this case :-).

I assumed it was intended as humor and thought it was hilarious. Doesn't mean I don't feel sorry for newuser...who hopefully has a sense of humor.

I've had best luck by parking in end spots where I can crowd the outside/open end, leaving several feet between my car and the next slot over. Drives my family nuts but they all drive Acuras and Hondas so they don't have and appreciation for the finer points of defensive parking. If they owned Jags, they'd care. :-)

Cheers
DD

Old 09-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Name:  car01.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  19.3 KB

Yep, I invariably do the same Doug and do get some funny looks, taking up 2 parking spaces right at the end of the lot, but what do you do?
If I'm just nipping in n out of Tesco / Adsa ( Walmart ) I've been knwon to pull right up to the front where the bollards are and very few people park, just to get it on its own and away from danger
I'e been really lucky as she's approaching 4 years old with no dents / dings >>>touch wood<<<<,

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

I've had a few dings popped out with the 'paintless dent removal' companies all over the place. As long as there is no paint damage or severe crease of the paint, all my dents have been pulled out w/o any indication they were there. They have tools that get under the panel and push the dent back out. The good outfits are perfectionists and have a couple convex mirrors on suction cups next to the dent in order to get a really good look at the finish so it comes out straight. IIRC, $50-$75 per dent...but you may get a break if you have more than one.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I will also park in Parent child spaces as they are nice and wide and protected from doors! Afterall it I am someones child and it doesn't say wether I need my parent with me!! :P

Old 09-11-2010, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by newuser
I found a big scratch in the shape of an x and a large scuff from a rock on my window. Obvious to me that they scratch the window then try to brake it with a rock but it didnt brake.
Originally Posted by h20boy
IIRC, $50-$75 per dent...but you may get a break if you have more than one.

Aw Matt, really! (Saturday mornng puns, dept?)

Old 09-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Dry Ice..

There are several vids on youtube on this subject.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wm7WPlEyFc
Good luck with your problem....I would put a video camera on your car so that you can see who is doing this there at your apt. If you plan on confronting them...be prepared for a legal battle and worse damage to your car...Hey, it may even cost you your life... That said...it is difficult owning a nice vehicle because there are always gonna be haters out there. I got over that a long time ago cause I simply don't live in a vacuum....People are gonna be what they are and it really won't make a difference in a hundred years anyway. Its a car man.....If your self-worth and pride is wrapped up in a vehicle...it may be time for a little introspection......and before you go getting all defensive, that last comment is not necessarily directed at you, but to all of those to whom it may apply...and yes!...If I had a pristine example of a fine motorcar and someone carelessly or maliciously damaged it, I would be pissed too. That is what glass cases and museums are for.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My mother in law had some friends and they saw some advertisements about Mercedes being more ding resistant. When they saw one in the parking lot they would pull up next to it and slam the door against it to see if it's true?????

Old 09-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I got pissed earlier in Waco. I stopped at a stop sign right before a red X type (I think) did from the cross street stop sign. I went first and when I was directly in front of him and not moving too fast, he accelerated heavily straight towards the side of my vanden plas! He didnt even swerve or anything...what a freaking idiot. Sorry, this just seemed like the right thread to put this in!

Oh my gosh! I just read the post above mine! WTF!?!

Old 09-11-2010, 08:34 PM
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

the world is full of HATERS. Most people associate Jags with rich people & we all know how much haters envy rich people hence the damage done to our fine rides