XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

My Lemon

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 02:00 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default My Lemon

Daimler Year 2000 4 liter V8. 94000Klm

Vehicle has had extensive service work by dealer in Bangkok including tensioners, all hoses, all fluid change including brakes, transmission, water pump and on the list goes.

I have driven the vehicle a total of 4000Klm in 4 years. My wife will not get in it.

Seems every time I use it there is some problem ending in "Restricted performance" or Limp home!!

Current problem after maybe 600 Klm trouble free was a dead battery.

Replaced and checked, alternator producing 13.8 volts battery fully charged.

On start up missing and restricted performance. At this point thought maybe coil pak on the blink.

Disconnected battery and left over night to drain computers.

Connected today after 24 hours, engine fired up and ran for maybe 10 seconds and stalled. Now engine cranks over totally dead.

Will try and get OBD to check but anyone have any suggestions before I burn it

Old 02-15-2018, 02:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Getting an OBD scanner will get you on the right path.

On a ball park guess I'd check the MAF sensor to be sure it's clean & the connector doesn't have any bent pins or a frayed cord. Of course faulty coils could cause a myriad of issues as well.

Post your OBD scan findings here.

Good luck !

The following users liked this post:
Topcroc (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 02:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Could be as simple as a perished (vacuum) hose - use OBD for fuel trims.

Topcroc (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Two remarks:

1- you said you let the battery off overnight, that has emptied all memories, including the ECU settings.
That the engine has a drop in the rpm (and sometimes stalls) after some 10 sec. is pretty normal (I think it is the disengagement of the extra fuel during the start).
Normally, after that, it will only run better and better.

2- In your case, it stalled, and it might be that you have created a case of 'bore-wash'.
Plenty of threads on the issue, you can check if your symptoms are the same.

Shorty, the engine turns over fast, with a high pitch, and no catching.
It is caused by the fuel which washed away the oil film on the piston rings, with low or no compression as a result.

To solve it, you can try to fully push the accelerator, then try to start in several periods of 10-15 seconds while fully pushed.
It should cut of the fuel supply, and by rotating the engine, the oil film should be restored.
You can also take the fuel pump relay out.

If that does not work, you will have to remove the spark plugs (at least on one bank), and drop a small amount of oil in each cylinder.
It should restore the compression and allow the engine to start.

Topcroc (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:09 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

That does sound like bore wash, but things like a bad fuel pump and air leaks could also be the culprit.

Post any code when you have them.
fyi
The initial startup after a hard reset gives a high idle that decays to almost stall point then back up to the correct tickover as the throttle body & ECU run the recalibration map.

Topcroc (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 04:04 AM

Thank you all for your very constructive comments.

I live 2 hours from Bangkok where there are 2 Jaguar agents so to get the vehicle to them is tilt tray only option.
On posting my request for OBD in my town there were a couple of suggestions to see a particular private workshop who specialize in Benz and Volvo Audi among others.

Short story is they came to the vehicle wound it over a lot more that I would have done foot to the floor and finally got it running.

Still missing and in restricted performance so seems to me there is a problem persisting but the stall after reconnecting the battery caused "bore wash"??.

They took the vehicle to the workshop, I will call and see manager tomorrow after he has done the OBD check.

I will advise you all the situation then. Many thanks.

Old 02-16-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

****, I love it: 18 years old and in the tropics, barely driven, 59K miles, and it's a lemon. What a world.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jhartz:
ericjansen (02-16-2018), Topcroc (02-16-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:53 PM

Hi Jim and Eric, can certainly appreciate your comment with some reservation.

I have owned 7 Jaguars in the past inc 3 SC models, all in the tropics either Papua New Guinea or Thailand. All have had their foibles. I have managed to get them all to be as reliable as any Jag can be through help from Aust and this forum.

The Daimler I currently own in Thailand is housed in an enclosed garage, blanket covered and hooked up to a C-tech charger.

As explained before when I purchased the vehicle SH she had a MAJOR service at the dealers inc timing chains etc. There were no tell take signs that this service was warranted tho common sense prevailed.

Even allowing for the incorrect transmission fluid and another trip to BKK on a tilt tray she has been the love of my life.

I now walk up to the garage and start to break out in a cold sweat, quivering with anticipation, "will she start?". With perspiration running down my back I turn the key with trepidation, Yes she started with no warning lights this time.

As I leave and wait for the gate to close I then wonder if we will make it home under our own steam. 70% of the time we do. It is the 30% that is getting to me and the expense of tilt tray hire.

Who knows the car may have been abused prior to my ownership, not with standing I should be able to have the confidence I had with my previous Jags in that I can go for a 3 hour run somewhere and be reasonably confident of getting home with out resorting to "Restricted performance" or "Limp home mode".

Perhaps the Computer has a strain of DNA that ficks in at 200KLM driven that then says "time to get him now", perhaps the computer knows I have the Tilt tray operator on speed dial.

Jaguar designers/engineers leave a lot to be desired, even in this day and age I read on this forum "When ever I lock my car the sunroof opens" WTF.

For better or worse we love our Jags

Old 02-18-2018, 03:30 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Topcroc
I now walk up to the garage and start to break out in a cold sweat, quivering with anticipation, "will she start?". With perspiration running down my back I turn the key with trepidation, Yes she started with no warning lights this time.

As I leave and wait for the gate to close I then wonder if we will make it home under our own steam. 70% of the time we do. It is the 30% that is getting to me and the expense of tilt tray hire
I know the feeling a bit, got that after reading too many of the posts here on the forum.

However, the basis of the x308 is pretty rock-solid, and although not free of problems, they are well known by now, and so are their solutions.

If you got the time, and the desire, try to trace down the real problem behind each event once it occurs, and try to fix it in a constructive way.
Buying a simple ELM327 and smart phone to read error codes is a great first step to do so.

Get your finger behind each of these little problems, and you will get a way more reliable car in return.

Finally, a battery on a tender will live way longer, but they do die too, slowly.
And the x308 is of a generation of cars which does not like lower voltages, displaying lots of strange symptoms in return.
You might want to check there, do a proper load test on the battery, or start with a new one.

Topcroc (02-18-2018)
Old 02-18-2018, 05:00 AM

Eric I hear what you say.

The initial problem was a dead battery, up to that point the car was running fine.

After replacing battery with new and confirming the battery was fully charged car started but was missing. While running checked charge and it was 13.8 volts.

You are aware of the sequence of events there after.

Your advice is well noted and I may even hold of selling the car when I get her running properly again.

We are at the point of the neighbours hearing the car is on the tilt tray they throw
lotus petals on the road to brighten me up.

Old 02-18-2018, 10:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,341 Likes on 1,057 Posts

@ Topcroc, I have to echo the above advice and just buy a $15 code reader, plug it in and write down the codes when you car next displays fault. Post them here for the answer and fix.

Jaguar service history isn't a guarantee it's been cared for.

There is a reason it's going into limp mode, and the car is well equipped to inform you by using the device people are suggesting. Being a member on here for over 4 years and you haven't bought one already? Stop guessing, or blaming the car for it and start to understand and fix it. That, is what Jaguar ownership is all about if you're in it for the long haul.

Old 02-22-2018, 07:28 AM

Have a result. U/s Coil Pak. Also I assume I created the Bore Wash which made the situation to me more complicated.

Collected the car and running fine.

I will purchase my own OBD reader asap.

Thank you all for your advice, Top Croc.

The following 2 users liked this post by Topcroc:
ericjansen (02-22-2018), Jhartz (02-22-2018)
Old 02-22-2018, 04:54 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Topcroc
Thank you all for your advice, Top Croc.
Now, do we get some pictures of that Thai beauty as a small token ?

Old 02-22-2018, 08:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

When life gives you a lemon, make lemonade !

Old 02-22-2018, 10:27 PM

Will try and post pics later today.

A week ago I was filled with hatred and ready to burn her. Now on way home from workshop I thought she really is a Thai Goddess,

ericjansen (02-23-2018)
Old 02-23-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

One of the greatest car series ever built. And this forum is here to help. I wish I had never gotten rid of mine.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:23 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jhartz
One of the greatest car series ever built. And this forum is here to help. I wish I had never gotten rid of mine.
I know you made a deliberate move, but I still see you coming back with a x308 one day .