Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Do I Have A Lemon?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 AM
Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Do I Have A Lemon?

So,

I'm driving my 07 XKR for the first time in two weeks, car tells me I need gas, stop to get gas and only can put 8 gallons in tank. A little while later, car tells me I'm out of gas and that I have a Fuel Pump System Failure. So, it goes back to the dealership yet again.

I bought the car used, but it only had 12,000 miles on the clock. It now has about 14,000 mile on the clock and since I have owned it has had drive belt pulleys replaced, two new thermostats, new thermostat housing, and an intermittent starting problem that comes and goes. Writing this down helps. It doesn't seem quite so bad. Yesterday, I was ready to trade the car in. I hate having a "new" car that spends so much time at the dealership.

On a side note, there was a new XJ at the dealership yesterday, so I got to look at it in person. It's HUGE. I personally love it, although the rear end in person isn't as good as the rest of the car. If I could afford it, I'd trade the XKR and XJ Sport in on one, but not this year.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:44 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

sounds like you got one that has a bit of a personality I agree, writing it all down seems to put it in perspective, and most times, deflates the emotions from frustration

Old 05-20-2010, 03:39 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,430 Likes on 1,940 Posts

Sounds like the mechanics in your local dealer need to learn a few basic things about XKRs. Why would you need all those replacement parts for a 12,000 mile car for heavens sake ? It doesn't make sense to me, unless the miles have been clocked, which is very difficult to do but not impossible.

In terms of basics, the car should by now have had three services as it is 3 years old. Have you got service records ? Many owners seem to stop reading after the "service the car every 10,000 miles" bit and seem not to read the rest which refers to "or every 12 months whichever comes first".

If the dealer does not know what to do, he can always go onto the Jaguar service website or ask the engineers what they think is the problem. There will likely be a whole lot of fault codes in the system by now. Have you got a warranty, or was it a private purchase ?

As for the new XJ, interesting to hear an American say it's huge, because I saw one in a dealership near Manchester today, and that was my impression also. In fact I said to the salesman, "every time I buy a big Jaguar, I find the new one is bigger". Yes, it is a big car, but having seen it, I do like the style. It's a total breakaway from the Sir William Lyons-designed shape of 1968. I suppose it was needed because the old Jaguar aficionados are dying off , or are too old to get the insurance ! The model I have was very advanced in technology, but apparently did not sell at all well, but the new avant garde XFs are now seen everywhere around here at least.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:04 AM
Received 109 Likes on 67 Posts

I've had a couple of issues but not as extensive as yours. My issues are auxillary pump gone bad on the way home from picking up the car new (dealer was embarrassed and apologize prefusely), Fuel Filler Cap warning, and once in awhile when I start the car it would die right after it cranks over (dealer still can't figure it out). Car is 2.5 years old and has 5,500 miles on it.

I was at the dealer today to buy some parts for the XKR and saw the XJ. Beautiful car and agree with hughey about the rear. I think they could have done alittle more for the rear. It is a big car but to compete, the length and width are on par with the MB S Class and BMW 7 Series.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:44 AM

Didn't hear anything from the dealer yesterday, so still don't know what is wrong. Most of the parts replaced on the car have been due to recalls. The thermostats and housing were due to a coolant leak and overheating issue. I'm almost finished with my teaching job, so I can start driving the XKR more again. I drive an "02 XJ to work, so the XKR sits a lot. Hopefully it will be happier when I take it out more.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDERXKR08
and once in awhile when I start the car it would die right after it cranks over (dealer still can't figure it out).
This happens to me too.

Old 05-22-2010, 06:12 AM

Ok, talked with the service manager yesterday a couple of times. First, he said there were NO error codes showing up, so they took the car to top off the tank. I reminded him that I had just filled up, and he said that since the gauge was showing half full they wanted to see how much it would take to top off. He called back later and said that they were only able to put a couple of dollars worth in, so now a fuel tank sensor is on order. HE also said that they had rebooted the onboard computer as sometime with a weak battery things go haywire. The battery is one of the things that has been replaced in the last year, but the car is sitting a lot. Still wouldn't explain the faulty sensing unit in the gas tank. So, another weekend without my weekend car. I'm going to the dealer today to look at an XF. Kind of disenchanted with the XKR right now. Nothing will look as good, but I want some dependability.

Old 05-23-2010, 05:16 AM

Went to the dealer yesterday and drove a couple of FX models, premium and supercharged. Really liked the supercharged version (it was a demo that was going for around $65K). Felt a lot like the XKR. Talked numbers and was offered $35k for my '07 XKR with 15k miles. That was pretty insulting. Kept hearing from the salesperson about how upfront they were, but kept getting the same car dealership bs. Was told that a lease on the XF supercharged was around $1100/month when Jaguar is offering $699/month on the premium, etc... I've worked at a car dealership and know how to interpret numbers, and these weren't adding up. Doubt I'll ever go back there to look at a car again. I'll just insist that they make the poor paint work on my XKR right and keep driving it and hope the gremlins are gone. I was really expecting more from a Jaguar dealership. Guess the car game is the same no matter what the make. On the positive side, I washed the XJ for the first time in a couple of months and was reminded what a beautiful car it is. I try to make it look like I don't care about it to stay under the radar of the vandals at school. Hope it rains today so it will be dirty again before I go to work tomorrow.