XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rear Turn Signal Problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 01:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Turn Signal Problem

My 2003 XJ8 rear left turn signal started giving the faster click sound so I thought my directional bulb was blown. I changed out the bulb and it's still not working and the car thinks the bulb is blown. I've tried switching the panels to see if it was a bad connection at the bulb. Same issue. I also tried splicing a wire to a ground to see if it could be a bad ground. I used the black wire from the harness - this did not work either. Can't seem to find a solution. Any thoughts? I'm sure I can fix this myself if I knew where to look. Thanks in advance for any help. - ANTXJ

Last edited by AntXJ; 11-04-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:32 AM
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Cool Sounds like...

Originally Posted by AntXJ
My 2003 XJ8 rear left turn signal started giving the faster click sound so I thought my directional bulb was blown. I changed out the bulb and it's still not working and the car thinks the bulb is blown. I've tried switching the panels to see if it was a bad connection at the bulb. Same issue. I also tried splicing a wire to a ground to see if it could be a bad ground. I used the black wire from the harness - this did not work either. Can't seem to find a solution. Any thoughts? I'm sure I can fix this myself if I knew where to look. Thanks in advance for any help. - ANTXJ
The turn signal relay...don't have access to any references right now...but that is where I would look next...

The following users liked this post:
AntXJ (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Received 969 Likes on 642 Posts

Sorry, these car don't have a turn signal relay; they are controlled by the body processor. You said you replaced the bulb, did you install a single element or double element bulb?? It should be a single. A double element bulb will fire a bulb failure and fast flash.

Cheers,

AntXJ (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I did switch the bulb from the "working" right rear panel and it still didn't work. I purchased the bulbs at Auto zone and we looked up the right part for my model and year. I've had some other electrical issues with this car. I had to replace every door latch to get my dome and puddle lights back. Also, I had an interior trunk light problem which I solved by rewiring. I suspect this could be a wire issue as well. Oh well, if I didn't love these cars so much, I would have given up years ago. Thanks again!

Old 11-08-2011, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the heads-up. I did switch the bulb from the "working" right rear panel and it still didn't work. I purchased the bulbs at Auto zone and we looked up the right part for my model and year. I've had some other electrical issues with this car. I had to replace every door latch to get my dome and puddle lights back. Also, I had an interior trunk light problem which I solved by rewiring. I suspect this could be a wire issue as well. Oh well, if I didn't love these cars so much, I would have given up years ago. Thanks again!
Maybe I misunderstood. I thought the bulb worked, but gave the warning. Does the LH rear indicator NOT work??

Cheers,

AntXJ (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 04:01 PM

No the light does not work and the directional clicks as if it had a bad bulb. Twice as fast.
I'm sure the dealer will get a bundle to troubleshoot this!

Old 11-08-2011, 04:16 PM

No the light does not work and the directional clicks as if it had a bad bulb. Twice as fast.
I'm sure the dealer will get a bundle to troubleshoot this!
Maybe...... but there are a couple of things you could try to check. The LR signal circuit is a Green/White wire the goes through two large 54 position connectors on the way from the body processor, which is in front of the glove box.
One is in the boot, above the gas tank about 8 inches to the left of the RH boot lid hinge. It has a bail of sorts that lifts to release the connector. You could check it and see if anything turns up. There is another one just like it at the right side of the fascia just below the A/C vent. You will need to remove the glove box to access it. Worth a try.

Good luck!

AntXJ (11-08-2011)
Old 11-08-2011, 05:50 PM

Hey Steve, Thought you may want to know, I checked in the boot area described. All I did was move the felt surround near the antenna and moved some wires around and voila the blinker and hazards now work fine. These cars have a mind of their own! LOL

Thanks,
Anthony

holybananas (04-03-2012)