XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Rearranging Gauges - Anyone Removed The Gauges Before? Also, How To Add Boost Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:24 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Rearranging Gauges - Anyone Removed The Gauges Before? Also, How To Add Boost Gauge

Hey,

Sorry, I'm not used to having my speedo front and center. I much prefer the tach to be the main focus. I know, it doesn't make much sense in an auto, but it bugs me. So, my goal is to put the temp/fuel on the far left, speedo on the far right, and tach in the center.

A) Does anyone know if the cluster is one unit or 3 separate gauges?
B) If separate, are the the same size with the same mount points? Is this possible to rearrange them?

Next, it feels extraordinarily odd to me to have boost without knowing how much. In FI cars, I like to know what's going on. I have no idea where I'm going to mount said gauge, but I'd very much like to have it. I'm assuming the car has a vacuum line connected to read the boost pressure, and the computer probably gets this data (Or am I wrong?), so does anyone know where this is an how to access this data?

Oh, and yes, it will look VERY close to stock, and very tasteful. I WILL NOT do anything tacky!

Thanks guys.

Old 10-31-2008, 12:50 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Rearranging Gauges - Anyone Removed The Gauges Before? Also, How To Add Boost Gauge

Boost gauge for me too! I'm sure a speed shop could give you some tips on where to hook into. I'm assuming any intake manifold vacuum line would be OK.

Old 10-31-2008, 02:03 AM
Default RE: Rearranging Gauges - Anyone Removed The Gauges Before? Also, How To Add Boost Gauge

Yeah, but my hope was that there was already one running to a computer providing data I could steal. Maybe not? Oh well. I could always tap a vac line. I'd like to get an oil temp gauge, AFR gauge, and boost gauge. I don't really wanna do pillar pods, though. I'm considering offset pods angled towards me a bit with the smallest gauges possible.

Any ideas on the instruments?

Old 10-31-2008, 11:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard people tapping the fuel pressure regulator too!

Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Cerberus

I was stuck in traffic yesterday (whats new here in the Bay) and as I had nothing to do but stare at the dashboard it got me thinking about your gauge idea.

Stealing the idea from the E-type (XKE),how about removing the centre panel that has the 2 face level vents in it (and the clock) and making a solid panel for 4 gauges (and keep the clock in the middle, same as the E-type)

I guess you could block off the air feed to the centre vents so that all of the air goes to the side vents which should hopefully still be enough to get air on your face if you need to.

Would probably be best to buy a second hand vent panel from a junker and play with it out of the car and see if you can get it looking decent before commiting to install it.

Just a thought

Old 11-04-2008, 05:06 PM

SARC, that's not a bad idea, but I do like my A/C. Haha.

Where at in the Bay? I'm stuck in San Diego for school right now, I miss the Bay Area. I have no clue why people would prefer SoCal over NorCal. Much better driving roads up there! Lol.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Received 535 Likes on 337 Posts

I'm in San Jose.

From Scotland originally (maybe you could guess that from my license plate)

Lived in Singapore for past 8 years before moving here in Jan this year. So far so good Nice to be in a country where I can afford a decent car again. 20 year old BMW 520i (E34) there cost me the same as my7 year old XJR didhere !