XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Removing Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 09:19 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Removing Alternator

Had to tackle this today and was unable to find any info in JTIS or on the Forum on the correct procedure to remove it. For anyone that has to take on this task here is what I ended up having to do.

Removed drive belt, alternator air duct, oil filter, PS tire, air box and air duct for PS front rotor. Also remove fasteners for fender well around area of air duct. Remove large bolt from underneath car and small top bolt from the top side. Be sure to disconnect battery and remove both electrical connections from rear of alternator. I did this from the underside as well. After alternator was free the only place I could figure to get it out was through the wheel well after removing the air duct there and some of the fasteners for the splash shielding.

If anyone has any better ideas please post them. My alternator tested bad at Autozone but I have decided to take it to a local alternator shop to have it rebuilt. Will post any problems I run into on the installation.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:10 PM
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
2. Remove the air cleaner assembly.
3. Remove the twin fan and motor assembly from behind the radiator.
4. Check that the belt wear indicator is within the limit marks.
5. Remove the drive belt from the generator and accessory drive,
1. Use a spanner e.g. Churchill JD-230 or Snap On XDHM 1415, on the centre bolt of the belt tensioner idler pulley, to turn the adjuster assembly to the left against spring tension. Whilst holding the tensioner against spring tension, remove the drive belt from the generator pulley. Release the tensioner slowly and remove the spanner.
2.Disconnect the belt from the other pulleys, as necessary, to move it clear of the generator.
6. Raise the front of the vehicle.
7. Remove the air intake ducting from the generator. The ducting comprises two sections; the upper section is retained by two screws to the sump body assembly and the lower (horizontal) section is retained by one screw.
8. Disconnect the generator harness.
1. Disconnect the harness multi-plug.
2. Remove the protective boot from the positive terminal, remove the terminal nut and disconnect the cable from the terminal. Where fitted, disconnect the suppression module positive cable from the positive terminal.
3. Where fitted, remove the nut which secures the suppression module negative cable and disconnect the cable from the generator. Reposition the suppression module harness clear of the generator.
9. Remove the lower mounting bolt and reposition the harness mounting bracket.
10. Remove the upper securing bolt and withdraw the generator from the mounting bracket.
11. Carefully, manoeuvre the generator forward towards the radiator.
12. Change the position of the generator and remove it upwards between the engine and the radiator.
13. Move the spacing bush rearwards slightly in the generator mounting bracket, to ease fitting the new generator
1. Position a suitable length bolt through the bush, fit a tubular spacer or socket spanner, fit a nut and tighten the assembly to move the bush slightly. Remove the nut, bolt and spacer.

INSTALLATION

1. Fit the generator to the engine.
1. From above, position the generator and fit the upper mounting bolt and nut, but do not fully tighten.
2. Fit the generator lower mounting.
1. From below, reposition and align the harness clip to the generator lower mounting.
2. Fit the lower mounting bolt and nut, tighten to 38-48 Nm .
3. Connect the harness.
1. Reposition the suppression module harness and connect the negative cable to the generator negative terminal. Fit and tighten the terminal nut.
2. Secure the suppression module positive cable and main positive cable to the generator positive terminal.
3. Fit the boot to the terminal.
4. Reconnect the generator harness multi-plug.
1. Refit the air intake ducting to the generator. The upper section is retained by two screws to the sump body assembly and the lower (horizontal) section is retained by one screw.
5. Lower the vehicle.
6. Fully tighten the generator upper mounting bolt, to 18-24 Nm .
7. Refit the drive belt to the generator.
1. Pass the drive belt around the idler pulley.
2. Using spanner (Churchill JD-230 or Snap On XDHM 1415) on the centre bolt of the belt tensioner idler pulley, rotate the adjuster against spring tension.
3. Whilst holding the tensioner against spring tension, pass the drive belt over the generator pulley and check that it is correctly located on the other pulleys. Release the tensioner slowly and remove the spanner. Check the alignment of the belt.
8. Refit the fan and motor assembly.
9. Refit the air cleaner assembly.
10. Reconnect the battery ground cable and fit the battery cover.
11. Reset the radio information and the clock.

Doug

The following 8 users liked this post by dougs02:
Carnival Kid (10-27-2018), Dan R (12-30-2010), dwgates (06-05-2019), exjay8 (12-20-2019), Roger77 (12-23-2012), Streambed (10-31-2016), volkris (01-18-2019), xjay8 (07-04-2018) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 09-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks Doug, that will help with the installation. I did mostly the same procedure but I found it much easier to remove the oil filter (was time to replace it anyway). Also, I didn't remove the fans. The alternator came right out through the wheel well after removing about 5 plastic fasteners that pull out easily with a pair of pliers.

The following 2 users liked this post by 2001 White XJ8:
Dan R (12-30-2010), exjay8 (12-20-2019)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very easy to remove do it in 20 mins or less

I have a 2001 xj8 the easy way to do it with out removing all that stuff is to
1 disconnect the battery
2 disconnect the air filter cabin not completely but just enough to get it to set to the the driver side of the engine
3 loosen your tires on the front passenger side and jack up your car remove that tire take off or loosen the splash guard in that wheel well i just loosened it
4 Go to the top under the hood loosen the tension-er so you can get the belt off of your alternator off to do this when you loosen the bold hold it with a pry bar when it loose take the belt off and release the tension-er slowly
there are two screws that hold the alternator on the bracket take those out from the top under the hood one is below on the bottom of the alternator which you will have to get under the car and the other is on top on the side where you had removed your air filter cabin there is a NUT IN THE BACK WHICH YOU HAVE TO HOLD ON THE SCREW ON THE TOP WHICH IN BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR
5 some people may have a splash guard in the undercarriage remove that
6 wiggle your alternator and it shall come some what free
7 go back to under the hood and reposition your alternator and take the positive boot off the harness and remove the nut and remove the wire from the alternator
6 from under the hood of the car again take the clip that was next to the nut you just removed off the alternator with a pair of pliers be sure not to squeeze to hard you may break the clip this will take off the second harness

7 take the altoneater though the body of f the car and slide it though the lining of the wheel well

Repeat backwards to reinstall
WARNING DON'T KNOCK YOUR SELF OUT TRYING TO REMOVE THE AIR FILTER CABIN IT WILL SPLIT YOUR WIG IF YOU TUG ON IT IT A RUBBER BOOT CUZ I SURE DID LOL GOOD LUCK!

The following users liked this post:
larney (09-09-2014)
Old 12-22-2012, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by 2001 White XJ8
Thanks Doug, that will help with the installation. I did mostly the same procedure but I found it much easier to remove the oil filter (was time to replace it anyway). Also, I didn't remove the fans. The alternator came right out through the wheel well after removing about 5 plastic fasteners that pull out easily with a pair of pliers.

yeah you know whats funny is you dont have to remove it and you dont even have to remove the darn air intake for the alternator lol

Old 12-22-2012, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by xjravon
I have a 2001 xj8 the easy way to do it with out removing all that stuff is to
1 disconnect the battery
2 disconnect the air filter cabin not completely but just enough to get it to set to the the driver side of the engine
3 loosen your tires on the front passenger side and jack up your car remove that tire take off or loosen the splash guard in that wheel well i just loosened it
4 Go to the top under the hood loosen the tension-er so you can get the belt off of your alternator off to do this when you loosen the bold hold it with a pry bar when it loose take the belt off and release the tension-er slowly
there are two screws that hold the alternator on the bracket take those out from the top under the hood one is below on the bottom of the alternator which you will have to get under the car and the other is on top on the side where you had removed your air filter cabin there is a NUT IN THE BACK WHICH YOU HAVE TO HOLD ON THE SCREW ON THE TOP WHICH IN BACK OF THE ALTERNATOR
5 some people may have a splash guard in the undercarriage remove that
6 wiggle your alternator and it shall come some what free
7 go back to under the hood and reposition your alternator and take the positive boot off the harness and remove the nut and remove the wire from the alternator
6 from under the hood of the car again take the clip that was next to the nut you just removed off the alternator with a pair of pliers be sure not to squeeze to hard you may break the clip this will take off the second harness

7 take the altoneater though the body of f the car and slide it though the lining of the wheel well

Repeat backwards to reinstall
WARNING DON'T KNOCK YOUR SELF OUT TRYING TO REMOVE THE AIR FILTER CABIN IT WILL SPLIT YOUR WIG IF YOU TUG ON IT IT A RUBBER BOOT CUZ I SURE DID LOL GOOD LUCK!
PS IF YOU DON'T WANT TO REMOVE THE SPLASH GUARD YOU DONT HAVE TO EITHER i JUST DID IT BECAUSE I DID MY HOMEWORK ON THIS POST BUT WHEN YOU THING ABOUT IT YOU REALLY DONT HAVE TO BECAUSE I REMOVED ALL THE BOLTS FROM THE TOP OF THE ENGINE AND REMOVED THE ALTERNATOR BEFORE THE SPLASH GUARD NO IM NOT A MECHANIC i WAS JUST REALLY COLD AND WANTED TO GET OUR OF THE COLD CALLED MILITARY THINKING THINK QUICK WORK SMARTER NOT HARDER

Streambed (10-31-2016)
Old 06-24-2018, 08:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to get the alternator out, using this procedure (as it is the the manual) however I cannot get the harness plug out of the alternator. Is is secured? Or should I allply a bit more force to slide it out? As always it feels like a genealogist job: not a lot of space or light.

Old 06-24-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 843 Likes on 593 Posts

The connector is hooked and you have to squeeze it very hard then pull (your fingers will hurt for the next few days). The flexible tang is (of course) on the "wrong" side, the side you cannot see.

The following 5 users liked this post by M. Stojanovic:
eric nooter (06-24-2018), exjay8 (12-20-2019), motorcarman (06-24-2018), volkris (01-18-2019), wrd0225 (07-12-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 02:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Altrnator Connector

Hello , i have finally removed the alternator from my 2003 super v8 , this is a U.S. model , so its the x308, but i broke the alternator connector. I have proper soldering skills , but i can't find a 2 wire connector anywhere, all i can find is three wire connectors. Does anyone have any idea how to wire it correctly with a three wire connector , or does anyone know where i could find the correct 2 wire connector ? Any help would be greatly appreciated , thanks in advance for any replys!

Old 06-05-2019, 12:43 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JUST REPLACE ALTERNATOR ON MY 2000 XJ8. All I took out was the fan assembly and had the alternator out from between the engine and the radiator. Total job was 1.5 hours. I got my Denso rebuilt alternator from Amazon for $163.79 and had it overnighted for another $9...

exjay8 (01-08-2020)
Old 06-05-2019, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

I took mine (four years ago) to my local alternator shop -- car was able to run on the new battery for the five miles. By the time I got in my wife's car and back home with her, a fifteen minute drive, the phone rang -- "Jag's ready for pickup!" I think it was under $200. Owner said he does about 100 Denso's a month.

Often, the easiest answer is let a pro who does it every day do it.

Old 06-07-2019, 06:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

XJ's are much easier than XK's. I removed an alternator from a XJ8 at the Junk yard ($34 + core) and thought "that was easy", but removing the old/fitting my new replacement back it into my XK8 took considerably longer, with much more knuckle scraping and cursing.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator bottom bolt is breaking my heart!!!

Hi Guys, I could really do with some advice. I have a 98 x308 and the alternator has died. I have a replacement and have been trying to remove the shot alternator for the last 3 days off and on.
I removed the top bolt without any problem at all and I then removed the nut off of the back of the bottom sliding bolt but the bolt refuses to move. I assumed that once the nut was released from the bolt it could be tapped out from the back and then pulled out from the front but it will not budge! The nut on the out side of the bolt has been rounded off by a previous owner so I can’t get a purchase on it to turn it from the front. What am I missing here? Is there a thread holding the bolt in place at the front or is it just stuck due to age etc? I have tried hammering it out from the back with the little space to do this and it has moved at all. I have sprayed it with enough WD40 to fill a lake and still nothing. Any help would really be appreciated right now.

Thanks in advance 👍👍👍👍👍

Old 11-06-2019, 09:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Default X308 alternator

Great to see these alternator removal write ups but, is there anybody who has done this to a supercharged car, like my 2002 XJR? Is it the same as the N/A car to-do list or does it involve removing any part of the S/C system at all? - Would the alternator removal "to-do list" for the XJR include things that are not on the procedures listed above in this thread?

Thanks in advance

Old 11-06-2019, 10:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 365 Likes on 262 Posts
Default X308 alternator

I think I have found the answer to above: Removing the generator from the S/C version adds the following steps:

4. Remove the supercharger drive belt; refer to operation 18.50.08.
5. Remove the supercharger drive belt tensioner; refer to operation 18.50.24.

That'll add to the fun...