XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Replaced trans cable, still having same issue (DLS?)

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Arrow Replaced trans cable, still having same issue (DLS?)

So after breaking my old trans cable and installing the new one, i'm still having the same issue. The car is in failsafe no start because it appears the Dual Linear Switch (DLS) has broken or malfunctioned. I installed the new (used) shifter cable and put the gear selector (inside car) to neutral position. I then put the transmission selector arm into neutral (under the car) so that BOTH were in synchronicity. Upon reassembling and tightening all cable adjustments, I go to turn the car on (still synchronized perfectly) and the same issue, failsafe.

THEN noticed that the j-gate was still illuminated incorrectly. Even though it was in neutral I was not getting the right letter illuminated. When I moved the shift knob up to reverse, neutral was illuminated again. ARGH!

Should I just go ahead and replace the DLS now or is there something else it could be?

Old 03-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,768 Likes on 1,302 Posts

You may want to review this thread... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...cklight-75330/ ...not so much for the work being done, but for some issues he had you may be looking for wrong with yours.

...and another thread, this one with a no start... https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ustment-95061/

Old 03-27-2016, 05:18 PM

i figured out the initial problem:

in this picture i'm holding a tiny screw with just a small hole on the head, not sure what you use to screw it in. anyways, this screws into a plastic nipple on the DLS. This snapped off. I drilled a hole where the nipple originally connected (the hole closest to my finger in the pic) and stuffed it back in there. I reassembled and for a brief moment the j-gate illuminated the correct gear. Now it stopped illuminating. The shifter was synchronized with the illumination and the car can run start and drive normally, except i'm in limp mode. it wont shift out of 1st (or is it 2nd) gear

transmission fault light is on still and now i have a check engine light too which I didn't have before. any suggestions?

Old 03-27-2016, 06:23 PM
Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts

Hi there vsol, have you by chance done a hard reset between any of your procedures? Sometimes that can help with working out bugs among the can bus communications. Also, have you been able to hook up an OBD tool to get the exact codes your getting? Will the car shift in "manual 2-3-4" mode on the j-gate?

Old 03-27-2016, 06:59 PM

I'm hard resetting each time I try something new to clear the old code. I can't get any gear to illuminate in red now ... the car is in limp mode so it wont let me use the manual 2,3,4 but i can shift through them fine

Last edited by vsol; 03-27-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2016, 07:36 PM

also discovered my reverse lights are not coming on. and the j-gate light's up with backlight (somewhat) but no red illumination on the selected gear. Could the back up lights be the DLS too?

Old 03-28-2016, 12:20 AM

When the J-gate is in R and the reverse lights don't come on does the car still move in reverse? Normally from your symptoms I would say the cable/gearshift/tranny are still not aligned to work in sync correctly or that there is still too much slack in the cable setting, but since you found the relatively tattered DLS switch I find it hard to rule out. Plus, it sounds like you installed the cable correctly with both the selector and tranny in neutral. I know its all easier said than done, but were you able to anchor that sheered DLS piece in the hole you drilled out or just "stuff" it in there? Possibly tape/double sided tape it down somehow so it stays put for more testing. It sounds like when you had it positioned correctly it worked for a second, but then it may have popped out again? I would at least mess with it a little bit more before you splurge on a used DLS, but I don't mind tinkering. The fact that your car still turns over/run shows the DLS isn't total junk and I wouldn't expect it to be since everything was fine before the cable swap. Sorry, I wish I was a bit more aclaimated to the internals of our DLS and had extra one to rip open and see how that broken piece normally attaches. Do you have a list of the codes you are pulling?

Last edited by greverrr; 03-28-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by greverrr
When the J-gate is in R and the reverse lights don't come on does the car still move in reverse? Normally from your symptoms I would say the cable/gearshift/tranny are still not aligned to work in sync correctly or that there is still too much slack in the cable setting, but since you found the relatively tattered DLS switch I find it hard to rule out. Plus, it sounds like you installed the cable correctly with both the selector and tranny in neutral. I know its all easier said than done, but were you able to anchor that sheered DLS piece in the hole you drilled out or just "stuff" it in there? Possibly tape/double sided tape it down somehow so it stays put for more testing. It sounds like when you had it positioned correctly it worked for a second, but then it may have popped out again? I would at least mess with it a little bit more before you splurge on a used DLS, but I don't mind tinkering. The fact that your car still turns over/run shows the DLS isn't total junk and I wouldn't expect it to be since everything was fine before the cable swap. Sorry, I wish I was a bit more aclaimated to the internals of our DLS and had extra one to rip open and see how that broken piece normally attaches. Do you have a list of the codes you are pulling?
yes the car drives normally except in limp mode now with check engine light on which wasn't before.

yes the peg is anchored into the hole i made into the DLS. It then connects into the white plastic thingy, that the gear selector arm moves back and forth (highest top left arrow in pic). it fit into both and stayed there. i discovered the screw (actually a peg) fell out of the bottom of the j-gate. the black plastic peg is here pictured at the top right arrow:

as far as I could tell, there was nothing behind what tiny amount of plastic i drilled out to put the plastic/screw hybrid peg back in. and it is staying in position, i took it apart 3-4 times while messing with it and the peg I made was still moving the top DLS slider just fine and into the right positions. Really makes me think it could be something else but I have no idea what.

The DLS should be illuminating the gear selected in red, correct? would the DLS being faulty possibly cause my reverse lights to be out?

Last edited by vsol; 03-28-2016 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:10 PM

Yes the gear will illuminate red. Sounds like the attachment to a possible microswitch broke on the DLS. That could be related to non illumination of gears, and it is possible since the "r" is not illuminated that there is a break in the chain that is necessary for the reverse lights to work. Really could use the codes still, may be able to help more

Old 03-29-2016, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by greverrr
Yes the gear will illuminate red. Sounds like the attachment to a possible microswitch broke on the DLS. That could be related to non illumination of gears, and it is possible since the "r" is not illuminated that there is a break in the chain that is necessary for the reverse lights to work. Really could use the codes still, may be able to help more
i'm gonna replace the DLS and see what happens. i will update. i don't have a scanner so i'd have to limp mode to autozone

Old 03-29-2016, 10:04 AM
Veteran Member

For immediate purposes, that will be the way to go. But for an OBDII scanner (and if you have a smartphone) you can get one of these Bluetooth ones super cheap
Amazon.com: Newest Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBD II Auto Diagnostic Scanner Mini Adapter: Automotive Amazon.com: Newest Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBD II Auto Diagnostic Scanner Mini Adapter: Automotive

All you have to do then is pick an OBDII scanner program from your phones store (about $2) and follow the link instructions, real easy stuff and no need to carry a separate scanner. I leave mine plugged in to my car and just link with the program when needed, it also reads your temps, fuel trims, O2 sensors etc.... I have 2 vehicles with them and only use one program because each Bluetooth device has its own signal and I just pick which one I need in the settings.

Last edited by Highhorse; 03-29-2016 at 10:06 AM.
Old 03-29-2016, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by Highhorse
For immediate purposes, that will be the way to go. But for an OBDII scanner (and if you have a smartphone) you can get one of these Bluetooth ones super cheap Amazon.com: Newest Bluetooth V1.5 OBD2 OBD II Auto Diagnostic Scanner Mini Adapter: Automotive

All you have to do then is pick an OBDII scanner program from your phones store (about $2) and follow the link instructions, real easy stuff and no need to carry a separate scanner. I leave mine plugged in to my car and just link with the program when needed, it also reads your temps, fuel trims, O2 sensors etc.... I have 2 vehicles with them and only use one program because each Bluetooth device has its own signal and I just pick which one I need in the settings.
i am so getting that. thanks for the suggestion

also the jaguar heaven place in cali wanted $200 for the DLS so I chose to go the ebay route for like 70$ instead. I will have to wait longer due to the part being in the UK, but oh well. I asked them to come down to 100 because of what was available online but no dice.

Old 03-31-2016, 10:35 AM

I would wait for the UK part too, let us know how it works out

Old 03-31-2016, 10:45 AM

Will do. I may ship my crank pulley off in the meantime to be remanned

Old 04-01-2016, 07:09 AM

That will surely be more lucrative than the dls

Old 04-07-2016, 09:08 PM
Default UPDATE

I put the replacement DLS in today (no broken pins) and still have the same issue. Not sure what to do now except replace the J-Gate? idk. I still have backlight illumination but no red gear selected light. Car shifts like it should between park, r, n, drive and 2,3,4 but still in limp mode.

is it possible it's the shift cable because it had a different end? i dont see how it could be the problem if it's putting it in the correct gears when it should, but why is it still stuck in limp mode with trans fault light on if everything else seems to function normal?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:55 PM

anyone else with any ideas? replace j gate? or something else to look for

Old 04-10-2016, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member

Have you tried reviewing the issue and/or the layout in this.... JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 04-13-2016, 09:22 AM
Arrow update- code P0705

I pulled the check engine code using a bluetooth device recommended by forum member greverrr (thank you) and it is only reading P0705 which is transmission range sensor TRS circuit malfunction
P0705 Transmission Range Sensor TRS Circuit Malfunction

Read more at: http://www.obd-codes.com/p0705
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0705

Apparently there is no external transmission range sensor on these transmissions. I went looking for one and couldn't find it and then found someone online saying that the supercharged ones do not have it.

I ordered an entire shift assembly which includes the J-Gate PRND display piece, so I'm hoping that is where the circuit problem is. I had the circuit board out but could not see any problems with it visually. It looked normal, so we'll see what happens when the part comes in a week

Old 04-14-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

For any codes regarding Jaguar, be sure to put Jaguar code P0705 or whatever code because a lot of standard OBDII codes do not cross reference with Jag exactly and may mislead you.

Quick Reply: Replaced trans cable, still having same issue (DLS?)