XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Side Skirts for X308

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 06:58 AM
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Side Skirts for X308

Hello Folks,

I have been looing around the internet to get some sublte side skirts for the X308 and there isn't much available.

However I found this outfit that sells side skirts for the XJ40, would anyone know if these would be a direct fit to the x308 ?

Tucson XJ40 Kit

Many thanxs

Old 04-08-2017, 07:07 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

The one person I am pretty sure can give a good opinion on this is Eric. If you haven't seen it, Ericjansen's kit is pretty sweet. What I don't see initially is the correct bracing to reconnect to the frame after front bumper removal. This will mean more fabrication on your part even if it does match the body contour. Not trying to deter you, just be aware.

Old 04-08-2017, 07:11 AM

Hi, I am only interested in the side skirts. Would I need to remove the front bumper to install the side skirts ?
Thanxs

Old 04-08-2017, 07:30 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by Benson7
However I found this outfit that sells side skirts for the XJ40, would anyone know if these would be a direct fit to the x308?
I have replied your PM just now, but for the sake of this forum, I better reply you here too:
I stumbled on that UK site several times, always wondered if they were in business, it looks so old fashioned.
Anyway, I think, but are not sure, an XJ40 should fit on a SWB x308, I cant really see why not.

I also saw that Arden and Adamesh disconnected their bodykits, so I think you are limited to this UK vendor, or Japan.

Here is the link for the copy Arden (I think) set. I saw them offered as individual parts on Yahoo.jp as well, you will need to be a bit creative to search them.
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/m162484271

And here is the link to a full J-complete set:
http://page21.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/j408747173

The final one you can search is Auto Coiture, they did the J-Complete kits with their own rep in the US, not sure they still exist.

Hi, I am only interested in the side skirts. Would I need to remove the front bumper to install the side skirts ?
No.
In my case, I only needed to remove the rear wheels to get the self drilling bolts into the car frame.
The front side could be done by turning the wheels.

Finally, if you order them unpainted, it should be a relative easy job to shorten the Glanz LWB skirts.

Last edited by ericjansen; 04-08-2017 at 07:56 AM. Reason: Links updated
The following users liked this post:
Benson7 (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Highhorse
What I don't see initially is the correct bracing to reconnect to the frame after front bumper removal. This will mean more fabrication on your part even if it does match the body contour
Just to be clear, this is not the case for any skirt type spoilers / skirts (excluding the full bumper replacements for which I do not have experience).

The front skirt is mounted with 4 bolts to the original bumper, and can stay on if you need to remove the bumper.

Each side skirt is held by 2 bolts at each end, plus some double sided tape over the full length.

The rear skirts are again bolted to the rear bumper, just like the front, plus some tape.

The following users liked this post:
Highhorse (04-08-2017)
Old 04-08-2017, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by ericjansen
I have replied your PM just now, but for the sake of this forum, I better reply you here too:
I stumbled on that UK site several times, always wondered if they were in business, it looks so old fashioned.
Anyway, I think, but are not sure, an XJ40 should fit on a SWB x308, I cant really see why not.

I also saw that Arden and Adamesh disconnected their bodykits, so I think you are limited to this UK vendor, or Japan.

Here is the link for the copy Arden (I think) set. I saw them offered as individual parts on Yahoo.jp as well, you will need to be a bit creative to search them.
?????JAGUAR?X?????????SET?? - ????!

And here is the link to a full J-complete set:
j-complete?????F?????????1997?... - ????!

The final one you can search is Auto Coiture, they did the J-Complete kits with their own rep in the US, not sure they still exist.

No.
In my case, I only needed to remove the rear wheels to get the self drilling bolts into the car frame.
The front side could be done by turning the wheels.

Finally, if you order them unpainted, it should be a relative easy job to shorten the Glanz LWB skirts.
Hey Eric, many thanxs for these links.

Just to be sure, the link you sent for the j-complete is for the full kit or only the front spoiler ? even after translation it's not 100% clear to me

Thanxs

Old 04-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Veteran Member

Just to be sure, the link you sent for the j-complete is for the full kit or only the front spoiler ? even after translation it's not 100% clear to me
I only sent to you as a ref, so you might be able to search further.
The add is for the front spoiler, but somewhere, hidden in Yahoo.jp, there should be the skirts
No idea for the SWB or LWB though ...

Old 04-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,769 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Thanxs
Sorry, I got to looking at the body lines and that kit and got lost on the bumper since it stuck out. Didn't mean to mislead you.

Last edited by Highhorse; 04-08-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:16 PM
Veteran Member

Caue I had 5 minutes nothing to do ...

J-Complete full bumper kit:

J-Complete Skirt set:

Arden kit:

Arden license or copy kit (Japan):

Glanz kit:

Old 04-10-2017, 01:51 AM

Great Eric :-) Thanxs

Do you happen to have pics taken from the rear ? I know you have the glanz kit, but apart from that one. What do you think of the other kits ?

Old 04-10-2017, 02:24 AM
Veteran Member

J-Complete full bumper kit:

J-Complete Skirt set:

Arden kit:

Arden license or copy kit (Japan):

Glanz kit:

Well, first of all, I have no idea which one you can still get after so many years, and which one is available for SWB or LWB.

I myself don't like the full bumper replacements, as they don't have anything in common with the gracious lines of the rest of the car.

The Arden and copy Arden kit looks better in real than on some of the pictures, but do not have a piece between the 2 exhaust pipes, bit strange.

The Glanz kit is maybe not the most eye catching, but I think it blends the most with the Jaguar lines, following the body design inwards, and not bulging out as some others.

Although some might argue I failed, I tried to do my modifications in such way that it could have been a Jaguar option, not an after market look.

Old 04-10-2017, 02:52 AM

Thanks for your input. Finally, what is your opinion regarding the J-Complete skirt kit ?

Old 04-10-2017, 04:25 AM
Veteran Member

what is your opinion regarding the J-Complete skirt kit ?
The J-Complete kit should have been my second choice, I like their rear bumper skirt better, but don't like their front too much, too bulky.
The Glanz kit is more delicate.
But 100 people, 100 opinions ...

Old 04-10-2017, 04:45 AM

The J-Complete kit should have been my second choice, I like their rear bumper skirt better, but don't like their front too much, too bulky.
The Glanz kit is more delicate.
But 100 people, 100 opinions ...
I tend to agree with you :-) Finally, do you think that putting only the side skirts would look good or would that "break" the line of the car ?

Old 04-10-2017, 05:57 PM
Veteran Member

do you think that putting only the side skirts would look good or would that "break" the line of the car ?
That is hard one, I thought about it myself before, as I did not like the full-view jacking points and welding flange sticking out under the car.

Plus, visually, the middle of the car seems to be higher than the front and rear bumpers, I guess your reason to ask as well.

However, design wise it is not an easy one, as it has to blend in with the rest of the car.
Maybe the total flat J-Complete one will do, the rest surely not.

But why not just go full?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:38 AM

That is hard one, I thought about it myself before, as I did not like the full-view jacking points and welding flange sticking out under the car.

Plus, visually, the middle of the car seems to be higher than the front and rear bumpers, I guess your reason to ask as well.

However, design wise it is not an easy one, as it has to blend in with the rest of the car.
Maybe the total flat J-Complete one will do, the rest surely not.

But why not just go full?
Hi Eric, Well I also think that the middle of the car seems to be a bit high.

Rarding the full skirt kit from J-Complete, I am still waiting for their offer. I contacted them via Facebook and they seem ok on shipping abroad. In terms of design i am not 100% sure yet if I want to go down the front and back bumper kit route....I also think that it's a bit big on the car and may break the beautiful lines of the car.

I have already recieved my new wheels (Coventry Whitley 19 inch). I am going to put them on and then take it from there. The thing is I dont want to turn the car into a "ghetto beauty"...

Old 04-12-2017, 03:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 470 Likes on 352 Posts

I've been looking at this thread with interest, I like to see the difference in styling. Anyway, I've found a TWR XJ40 on eBay which has a body kit. Thought you'd like to see it, seeing how the lines are vaguely similar.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152506395702

The following 2 users liked this post by Stu 1986:
ericjansen (04-12-2017), ShootJoeC (09-02-2020)
Old 04-12-2017, 03:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Also interested in this as the jack points have always pulled my eye away.

Old 04-12-2017, 04:03 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

*looks at Arden side skirts sitting in the shed*

I'll go back to my corner now

Old 04-12-2017, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by grandell
*looks at Arden side skirts sitting in the shed*
I think that is the same reply I read some 4 years ago when i joined the forum ....
Grandell, time for some action