XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Stability Control Failure Traction Control Failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stability Control Failure Traction Control Failure

1999 XJ8 VDP

I now have a "Stability Control and Traction Control Failure" the "ABS" lamp is also illuminated. There does not appear to be a "real" failure. I purchased a generic OBD-II scanner, P1000 is only error I get. I have been told that the Generic ODB-II scanner will not read Jaguar proprietary codes. I also have been told that I may not have completed the "driving cycle" and this may be a problem. I have cleaned all four of the wheel sensors, and checked resistance of each, they look good. I have checked the battery voltage, disconnected it thinking it may reset the error, no change.

I would like to solve this problem with any help I can get from this forum will be much appreciated.

The following users liked this post:
Lance Wilson (09-18-2014)
Old 10-01-2011, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

Hi
Your OBD reader won't read ABS module fault codes, only engine. To pull codes from the ABS you need factory software.

You've checked numbers 1 and 2 on my top 3 Stability Control and Traction Control Failure issues.
The 3rd is the ABS pump control board, where the 2 solder points for the pump motor fracture. There's 2 choices if scanning confirms the fault, do a search and DIY fix it. If you can solder, you can do it. Or use the suggested module mender vendor mentioned in a number of threads on ABS/TRAC/module faults.
Hope this helps

Old 10-02-2011, 01:31 PM

Your XJR is a beauty. I drove the car about 30 miles yesterday, and when I started the car the next time the error was gone. I don't know if the reference to "drive a complete cycle" cleared the error, or maybe the battery just got a full charge and the voltage up a little. The third possibility could just be temp cycling of the buggy part causing the fault, like the solder joint you mentioned. I'll keep the forum posted on the condition as it develops or not.

Is the Jaguar software available for the reader, and does anyone of a steering wheel leather kit availability for the VDP?

Old 10-03-2011, 07:41 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,618 Likes on 874 Posts

Hello eshea
You might be able to read the Jaguar XJ PDF file that forum member iguide has created from extracts from his Topix - covers 1998 - 2003 XJ (X308) on your reader.

I believe this PDF files download has the same information & illustrations as the JTIS software. But it does not have the wiring guides and DTC codes PDF files. Ask iguide and he will probably provide them with the purchase of the XJ PDF files download for $25.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-manual-54184/

Look at post# 1. I am not trying to sell anyone on this PDF files download and I am in no way associated with iguide. I am only providing the information about this option.

I know that PDF files can be read on the Nook.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-03-2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 AM
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that end up being transmission problems. stability control and abs, thats tranny. im taking the engine and tranny out of my xk8 soon. I will inspect my transmission and make sure I put the updated tensioners in my car. Yep when im done it should be a beauty

Old 10-04-2011, 12:38 PM

Is the Jaguar software available for the ODB-II reader, and does anyone of a steering wheel leather kit availability for the VDP?

I was looking for the software that reads the error codes from the computer.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:52 PM
Veteran Member

Hi eshea
This is a quote from forum member Sean B posting in another thread:

Anything short of AutoEnginuity will not read these systems. Nor the seat, mirror, BPM, security or other sensors. For General purpose, they (other code readers) are better than nothing, but if you are serious about maintaining a kitty, Get The Right Stuff.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/g...A-33347/page2/

Here is autoequinuity website address:

Products

I called autoequinuity and found out that the only product they sell that is for Jaguar specific sensors is the PC based scanner with the Enchanced Jaguar expansion (that is compatiable with it).

Here is weblink to their PC based scanner pricing $249.99 plus Enchanced Jaguar expansion (for Jaguar specific sensors) $229.95 a total of over $480:

ScanTool PC-based

Order Online

The other 2 products - their PC pocket model and the Palm based model - are not compatible with the Enchanced Jaguar expansion software.

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-05-2011 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a thought. I had the same TRAC/ASC and ABS issue. The lights did come on every trip, but were increasing in frequency. Cleaned the wheel sensors and still had the problem. Next I checked the battery and it passed, although I did notice a little discoloration around two of the cell caps. Anyway, as all this was going on I started getting a whining from the engine which I determined to be the alternator. It tested fine but I was pretty sure the bearings were going out in the alternator so I replaced. I was curious to see if the new alternator made any difference in the trouble code, and sure enough, drove it twice after replacing the alternator and still had the lights coming on. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since doing the alternator and after having made the second test drive, I have not had the lights come on again. Makes me think it was battery/alternator related. I don't know, because the battery and alternator did test good, but I'm wondering if just a slight drop in amperage could cause this problem.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:14 AM

to be honest, most problems are not as simple as the alternator or battery. that is the basics in any diagnostic test is to make sure that the charging system is working, however; most of the transmission problems and gearbox problems are not going to be able to be read off of no scanner because the problem is eternal. these cars (xk8's) should be able to drive from l.a. to new york with no problems. these cars are made to drive long ways. So if there is a problem with the car, no need to baby it. It must be fixed

Old 10-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 152 Likes on 131 Posts

well, we are on the very same page.

My XJR got the same message quite frequent and engine stalled a a few times especially in the wet days.

please help

Old 10-05-2011, 04:02 PM
Default Stability Control and Traction Control Failure has returned

Originally Posted by Sean B
Hi
Your OBD reader won't read ABS module fault codes, only engine. To pull codes from the ABS you need factory software.

You've checked numbers 1 and 2 on my top 3 Stability Control and Traction Control Failure issues.
The 3rd is the ABS pump control board, where the 2 solder points for the pump motor fracture. There's 2 choices if scanning confirms the fault, do a search and DIY fix it. If you can solder, you can do it. Or use the suggested module mender vendor mentioned in a number of threads on ABS/TRAC/module faults.
Hope this helps
After a few short trips 1~5mi the error has returned. Speculated that the "driving for the cycle" whatever that distance may be reset the error, the short trips may not reset the error when it is intermittent. Next steps will be to test the battery again with a stress tester, and find the ABS module and inspect for the solder joints.

Its important to note that the actual systems are still working, its raining here, ABS is working as well as the traction control as observed.

Can someone direct me to the location of the ABS module in the 1999 XJ8 VDP?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Old 10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

Hello again
I still trying to help.
Here is an extract of the ABS components and ABS module location in this JPEG:

Name:  1999XJAnti-LockControlIllustrations.jpg
Views: 16597
Size:  58.7 KB

Update
I also created this ABS HCU R&I PDF file - Instructions & Illustration on Removal & Installation of the Hydraulic Control Unit:

((( I had to delete the reference to the attachment - problem with the PDF attachment not opening properly)))

I just uploaded the PDF file to my mediafire.com account - here is the weblink to the file:

1999 XJ ABS Hydraulic Control Unit (HCU) R&I .pdf

You can use it as a guide. I will try to find the forum thread showing how other forum members have used some shortcut methods to do this quicker and probably a little easier than the method in the PDF file.

You have posted 7 times and probably not be able to open any forum file attachments. If you logout of the forum.You will be able to view the attachments. Then the system will think you are a guest and will allow you to open and view the file.

Seems like it does not make any sense that a guest can open an attachment and a new forum member cannot. I think you need as at least 10 postings before you can. I am sure there is a good reason, probably has to do with scammers attacking the system.

Here is another update:
I found the forum thread on the ABS module repair DIY:

Here is the actual DIY forum thread - and the post# 37 is where the actual photos and instructions are located:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...r-37907/page2/

There are more follow-ups tips in the following thread that lead me to the DIY thread:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...removal-37915/

Jim Lombardi

Last edited by jimlombardi; 10-05-2011 at 06:49 PM.
JimmyL (10-06-2011)
Old 10-06-2011, 12:12 PM

Thanks very much for the information. I'll be after the next steps this weekend, with photos of the module condition to post.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:29 PM

i still say its transmission related

Old 05-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Default ABS Traction Control Failure

Originally Posted by eshea
Thanks very much for the information. I'll be after the next steps this weekend, with photos of the module condition to post.
I reviewed the ABS module removal thread and photos. I decided to take the advice of having a Jaguar compatible error code reader confirm the error was the module before attempting the solder joint repair. I choose not to go with the bend and squeak out removal method. I have a conformation now that the error is coming from the module. My independent mechanic will not repair with anything but new Jaguar parts, meaning a $2,000.00 invoice. For $2,000 I will do the removal and inspection myself. Hopefully the solder joints are the problem.

I see in the photos posted that only 4 of the 6 brake lines have been removed from the manifold for module removal. See the my photo.

My question; Was the brake system bled after re-installing, it it necessarily with only the for ABS lines removed? If so what method of bleeding was used?

Old 05-18-2012, 02:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

I may be doing the same thing soon. My ABS/TRAC messages and light have been coming on lately. Before it was only once in a great while, now it seems like everytime I drive the car more than 20 minutes the lights come on. They're always off until about 20 minutes into a drive, regardless of whether I'm sitting at a light, moving, braking, whatever. Fortunately, I have until July for safety inspection. The info is fantastic ! Thanks guys.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

You will need to find out what codes are stored in the ABS module and then work from there. There is no drive cycle for ABS like there is for the PCM, any fault will be displayed as soon as the module senses the problem. Also, the transmission is not part of this system. If you get the code and post it ,we can help further if need be. Good luck!

Old 05-18-2012, 06:33 PM
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

i am currently going through this. i unplugged the unit , cleaned connection , applied dielectric , while i was there i cleaned up the two common ground connections on the framerail right near the pump, there are two. i dont know if there is a ground from the pump there (should have paid closer attention) , but the code hasnt come back --- yet. i have a replacement unit on the way just in case it returns.

Old 06-08-2012, 04:56 PM

Finally got the correct tools for the module removal. Torx headed sockets
Removed module "broke" open to find the power pins looked to have a fractured solder joint as described on this forum. I re-soldered them cleaned up the module, resealed with RTV, let cure for 24 hours. Replaced the module and there you have it another successful repair! The error appeared once briefly after the first start and has no returned for over a week now.

I purchased a $35.00 vacuum pump with brake bleed kit from Harbor freight to bleed all of the brake lines. The only tip I have that may be helpful was to attach balloons to each fitting as I disconnected them from the manifold. This helped keep the brake fluid from leaking all over the engine compartment.

Thanks to all who contribute to this forum!

Old 12-05-2012, 02:07 PM
Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile No cost diagnosis, possible fix

First off, I want to thank the list for all the tips such as pairing new remotes, clearing climate control faults, etc.

I have had my XK8 for three years, drove to LA and back, NO and back with no problems.

Then, the dreaded Traction Control Fail/Stability Fail this Fall.

I eliminated the wheel sensors, cables, etc. and then purchased a Torx socket and was about to follow the online instructions when...

I decided to heat up the pump pins from the outside.

Five minutes on each pin with a 30W pencil solder gun and voila--the fault was now intermittent.

Attempt 2: the tip of the gun is wedged between the two pins, after 9 minutes, smoke, at 10 minutes the pins start to move. Heat removed. Wait for joints to cool. Plug in pump. Plug in harness.

Fixed! Driven over railroad tracks, speed bumps, still no fault.

Of course the joint is not as good as taking the unit cover off, but it does diagnose the pump power pins as the culprit.

If it were to need to solder from the board side in the future, I would saw off a small portion of the rear lower corner of the case, solder it and then seal it back up with silicone.

Hope this helps...

Sir Alex of Yotto (05-28-2016)

Quick Reply: Stability Control Failure Traction Control Failure