XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Sticky RPM's After Rebuilt Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky RPM's After Rebuilt Throttle Body

I have just installed a rebuilt throttle body that was done by ASI.

The RPM's seem to increase by themselves, My idle is at 1,100, and the RPM's stick 1 in every 10 times going up to 2,000+ RPM's.

I can't seem to find out what is wrong, The only thing I can think is that I need to get a new metal gasket or put some sealant in between the throttle body and the intake manifold.

Video:
IMG_1322.mp4 Video by C70SSFIRE | Photobucket

Thanks in advanced!

Old 08-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,337 Likes on 1,056 Posts

have you spoken to ASI, it doesn't sound fixed.

Sealant under the TB is just WRONG. Using the part Jaguar fit is RIGHT. They're crush gaskets, so required every time the TB is torqued down.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:27 PM

Thanks Sean!

I've ordered the gasket and will let you know how it all turns out.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Received 221 Likes on 172 Posts

Oops... I just reused my gasket, and it idled fine.

We did adjust the TPS based on resistance values though, to get them very close to the old one.
The values are in this thread:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...acement-77560/

This was a lot easier with the TB out of the car, but it's not impossible in place, it's just harder to reach the pins to read the resistance. Also, the values move around quite a bit, but you won't have to be exact.

When I got my rebuilt throttle body from ASI the TPS was adjusted fully anti-clockwise, and the car wouldn't run at all. After adjusting it, it ended up much closer to the center of it's range, and the car ran perfectly, first time.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:49 PM
Veteran Member

Before you unplug anything, remove the battery neg terminal.

Some people don't do this as per working on anything in the car disconnect the battery, when plugged back in it is in a learning state. High idle to almost stall point - this is the throttle calibration and to store new the map leave to idle for 10 minutes. That's Jaguar standard procedure.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:05 PM

x2, this is exactly what we did, and it worked perfectly

Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 AM

Ok so I have had the battery diconnected the whole time, positive and negative. Just installed the new gasket and had it torqued down to spec.

I now get a P0507 code and fail safe mode after 1 min of idle. Sooo a vacuum leak somewhere or just need to turn the TPS a bit to adjust the idle speed. Would this still cause the RPM's to go up by itself? The car is idling pretty well at 1100 RPM's.

When giving the car a quick rev to 2,500 it feels like its jolting a bit on the way up. I will call ASI in a bit but I like to check forums first (Maybe I have backwards logic...)

Jafari Seems to have fixed his high idle and slow return idle by adjusting the TPS. I've heard that some people can make generic tools work but it messes up the screws (I wouldn't mind, if someone knew what generic tool to use)... Otherwise I will order the Pentalobe tool set. I need the car quite soon and since the car keeps getting error codes and going into fail safe I can't really get anywhere.
Link: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...igh-rpm-84948/

Thanks for all the earlier responses as well guys!

Last edited by Jagdude; 08-07-2014 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Veteran Member

I've actually set it manually with the car running, it's dicey going one way as the revs go up but you back it off Quick! it's tiny adjustments too...
The revs going up sounds like the calibration taking place or attempting to with an out of phase TPS. I also think grandell's on meter method of setting up is the safest way and his recent experience of the same thing, from the same people should get you home and hosed if you follow what he did.
Good luck

Last edited by Sean B; 08-07-2014 at 04:44 PM. Reason: phrasing
Old 08-08-2014, 04:39 AM

^^ this!! the adjustments are amazingly small. You can set the TPS with it on the car, but it is SO much easier off the car. We used the resistance between pins 1 and 3 as the main adjustment, and then checked it with the readings between 1 and 2.
As said earlier, we set up the new TB to have almost exactly the same readings are the old TB, and it has worked perfectly since.

Old 08-08-2014, 11:36 AM

Thanks for the amazing input you two! I ordered some pentalobe tools and they should be here in the next few hours. I will report back once it is fixed.

Old 08-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Sooo... Got the Pentalobe set in and adjusted the TPS to around 650-700 RPM's. Took it for a test drive, seemed much much MUCH better. About 1 mile out Fail Safe came on, so I pulled over and checked the codes and got P1121 and P1000. I thought P1121 was for TPS failure? Should I adjust it more or make sure its the most secure it can be (with those 2 screws)? Annddd from the first time I gave it 3/4 gas out of the neighborhood it did the jerking/hesitation thing at 3,000 RPM's, still... From what I have read now, it seems I need to do my fuel pumps since the second one comes in at that RPM.

I'll add this too, just before the fail safe came on I gave it the beans going 10 mph's and it just cut out immediately and then limped to the side of the road.

I'm starting to think this car has a grudge on me, after the $3k in parts that are into it.... I... Must... Win...

Thanks for all the help (again) guys!

Old 08-08-2014, 06:05 PM

Isn't P0121 TPS failure?

I would take the throttle body out, it's not too hard a job, adjust it properly, replace it, check your gaskets etc, and see if it still does it

Old 08-08-2014, 06:19 PM

I got the P0121 code before and that's when and why I replaced the throttle body.

looked up P1121 for possible causes:
1. Accelerator pedal to pedal position sensor cable adjustment incorrect
2. Pedal position sensor to ECM sense circuits 1 and 2:
open circuit, short circuit or high resistance
3. Sensor power supply fault
4. Sensor reference ground fault
5. Pedal position sensor failure

I think I just need to check my throttle cable. I did tighten it a little but it still has some slack. I may just put it back to where it was then. Since the failure came on right when I gas it full gas that definitely seems to match it.

If I can't fix it with it in the car then I will definitely take the throttle body out.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:05 AM
Received 58 Likes on 51 Posts

JAGDUDE -
I had a similar experience with an ASI rebuild. I know that I installed it correctly with a new Jaguar OEM gasket (important), but had the high idle upon initial stratup. I did not know about the resistance settings at the time. I just loosened the 2 screws holding the TPS and rotated it fully clockwise, and all was good after a hard reset. Is it set correctly? I have no idea, but the car runs and idles well, so I can only assume I am within range. I did get a high idle code initially which I erased before resetting the TPS. And yes, the throttle cable needed to be loosened from what it was set to on the old TB.
No issues since then (May 2014). Good luck!

Old 08-12-2014, 12:20 PM

So I have done another hard reset, the idles are normal. Problem now is that the engine hesitates when I give it full throttle.

Video:
3rd throttle is full but only up to 2k or so.
4th is full throttle up until the fail safe appears.
IMG_1372.mp4 Video by C70SSFIRE | Photobucket

Old 08-12-2014, 05:26 PM
Veteran Member

take it off and send it back? I assume the failsafe posted a p1121?

Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM

Yes the fail safe posted an 1121. I sent it in for the P0121 code and now it comes back with another code. I still feel like something has to be my fault, should I tighten the throttle cable so its taught?

I tried calling ASI, they were suppose to call back but never did. Looks like I'm renting a car for the weekend.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:37 AM

I am frankly starting to have some concerns about ASI and how they run their business. They owe me the core charge on the old TB I returned to them. I leave phone and email messages for their accounting department, and I get no response. This has been going on for 2 months now. My next move is to contact the president of the company. The TB I received from them has worked fine, but I would think twice about doing business with them in the future.

Old 07-22-2015, 06:37 PM
Default I have the same problem

Hi
First off yes I did buy the throttle body from asi and my rpms are not going down fast enough like before the car feels like it is going to pounce on the road if I do not press the break hard enough I have tps error bank 1&2 rich maf sensor error rpm idle too high error and I have no clue as to what is going on I try resetting along with minor adjustments I finally got the rpms to idle at 750 but every time I letgo of the brake the car just revs up to go like an impatient racer any help as to how to approach this problem will help PS when the rpm is at 500 for idle would get engine failsafe mode and asc nt available trac nt available and the car would nt start. Pls help. Thank you in advance

Old 07-23-2015, 09:21 AM

Did you try a hard reset?

Quick Reply: Sticky RPM's After Rebuilt Throttle Body