XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Stolen keys X308 1999 - Reprogrammed - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Stolen keys X308 1999 - Reprogrammed - RESOLVED

My keys, including the spares (valets) and FOBs were all stolen.
My car is locked in the garage, alarm is armed.

This was a result of a house break in, and now I have no keys at all. I'm in Australia and will call in locksmiths on Monday perhaps.

My question is, WILL THE STOLEN KEYS WORK ON THE CAR? It is a 1999 X308 Sovereign V8.
I plan to have the auto locksmith open the car and give me a key that works, but no fob. It wont be an original key, so I will then order original jaguar blank keys and FOBs from the UK and have them programmed and cut.
The fob programming I can do myself, I did it before.

BUT, after all this I want to make sure that the OLD FOBs and OLD Keys which are stolen WILL NOT WORK on the car.
I see people talking about reprogramming keys and all, but no discussion on theis topic.

regards
Peter

Old 03-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

The stolen keys will operate the locks but if they are NOT present when the new keys are configured to the KTM then they will NOT start the engine.

They can be used until the new keys are programmed.

bob

Old 03-19-2016, 11:20 PM
Received 4,436 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Bummer...

What Bob says, if the missing keys aren't programmed at the same time as the new ones, they will no longer start the car, but still operate the door locks.

I sent you a PM Peter, since we're local maybe I can help if you get stuck.

The following users liked this post:
osyris (03-20-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 02:15 AM

Gentlemen
I have no keys at all, I will get a locksmith to open the car and make a new set of keys. I need to use the car as I cannot wait for original jaguar blank keys from the UK to get here. Other option is to go to a dealer to do it all, but I cant move the car as its locked in the garage and I don't think the dealer will come out to my place.
The locksmith can make a set of keys But as they wont be original jaguar (I wont let those criminals deprive me of originality) I then have to buy the jaguar blanks + jaguar FOBs from UK and then AGAIN get them programmed.
How about the STOLEN FOB?.. after the locksmith reprograms the car will the STOLEN FOBs be able to unlock the car?

How do I make everything completely safe?.. change the door barrel and BOOT barrel lock?.. how about the FOBs?
HELP
Peter

Old 03-20-2016, 03:22 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

will insurance cover it?

Old 03-20-2016, 06:30 AM

Gentlemen
I am informed that the Auto locksmith may be able to JUST open the drivers door, but not actually start the car. The ALARM in this case will be triggered upon opening the door. I believe the ALARM is just the HORN being operated.. (I only heard it once before, cant recall properly)
HOW DO I DISABLE THE HORN ? If the locksmith opens the door, I believe I will be able to pop the bonnet..... perhaps locate the horn and detatch it from the cables/wiring.Will this do it?
I also have been told that there is a resisitor for the alarm, and also prehaps disabling the main battery connections (but this car may have a separate battery for the alarm.. where is that located?)

Sorry for the questions, I just need answers ASAP to get things moving on this pressing issue. I have a multitude of other things to contend with due to these criminals.

Jeff asks if insurance covers this all...... yes upto $2k, and I have a comprehensive insurance policy from a quality insurer., BUT I have to spend the money myself first then get reimbursed.

regards
Peter

Old 03-20-2016, 11:41 AM
Received 152 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by osyris
...after the locksmith reprograms the car will the STOLEN FOBs be able to unlock the car?
The reprogramming procedure for a new fob allows the car to accept five different fobs. If the original (stolen) fob is not used during this process, it will no longer be able to unlock the car after the reprogramming procedure.

Until this new fob reprogramming is done, the stolen fob will be able to unlock the car.

The following users liked this post:
bigoshin (06-04-2016)
Old 03-20-2016, 12:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

If the auto locksmith can only do so little then why bother? You're just buying the alarm going off and getting a flat battery.

Old 03-20-2016, 03:55 PM

Peter, as we discussed on the phone, here are the parts for the "lock set" and blank keys:

Stolen keys X308 1999 - Reprogrammed - RESOLVED-screen-shot-03-20-16-07.39-pm.jpg Stolen keys X308 1999 - Reprogrammed - RESOLVED-screen-shot-03-20-16-07.39-pm-001.jpg

The blank key is about £50, the lock set £330, in the UK, god knows what the local price would be.

I can't imagine how a locksmith is going to program a new key to start the car, unless he has the factory diagnostic system to do it (WDS, IDS) or an aftermarket diagnostic system with similar capabilities (Autologic, AutoEnguinuity). And you need to program a minimum two keys to the car, it's not possible to program a single one.

Or maybe he has some hacker type methods we don't know about. But i'd want some assurances before he gets started on it...

If he can program a single key with some hacker method, then that is still only a temporary measure for you, just to get the car mobile. The old keys would still start the car, and until you change the lock barrels, will still open the doors, boot, etc.

As I said i'm happy to help out with programming keys & fobs with the WDS or IDS, can bring it out to your place. But that's step #2, step #1 depends on what the locksmith can do.

If he has blanks with the transponder in them, & if he can open the door with a Tibbe Decoder (one of these Ford Tibbe Premium Lock Pick and Decoder Tool + Case - UKBumpKeys) and cut you two keys from that code, then I can program them to the car and it's mobile again. Then the next step would be to change all the lock barrels, and get new keys again, and program them again...

Old 03-20-2016, 08:20 PM

jagv8, yes you are right... its a $450 fee to open the door + triggering the alarm

at this point I cant see another option just yet though, I MUST OPEN THE CAR to be able to do the rest .....barrels lock set change etc

Whats my other option to opening this car up apart from paying the locksmith?

Cambo, yes i will take you up on the reprogramming offer, I will order those parts soon after I figure out the best way to open the car and possibly get it mobile.

Breifly talking to jaguar dealer today, they said the alarm system could be damaged. who knows whats true.

regards
Peter

Old 03-20-2016, 09:24 PM
Received 100 Likes on 75 Posts

Sorry for your circumstances, $450 sounds like a quote from another thief. A lot of the time a locksmith ends up doing some sort of damage either to the lock, paint in the vicinity, or window frame, but any decent locksmith should be able to open your car with a modified coat hanger and jimmy tools, as we all know the lock pins are in clear sight and accessible. Not a great option but cheap if you are hands on, don't mind cleaning up some glass, and replacing yourself, find a cheap quarter window like this Quarter Window Glass Rear Left Jaguar XJ8 XJ6 XJR 96 03 | eBay get your hammer and viola' in the car, pop hood, if you remove fuse F3 and F9 (active security sounder) in the left hand engine bay fuse box it should stop the alarm or pop trunk via inside button if allowable with security system engaged and disconnect battery, I bank that it will open the trunk still. I can run a simulation for you tomorrow if you want to know if the trunk will still open with alarm going off or the whole fuse pulling scenario, with that being said, since you can be reimbursed by insurance I would pay a locksmith (maybe get some other quotes), then deal with all the other noise of replacing locks and programming. I want to find that thief and tar and feather him

Last edited by greverrr; 03-21-2016 at 12:12 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:12 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

$450 is outrageous for doing so little. Feels like you could have it towed to a dealer for less.

Old 03-21-2016, 03:05 AM

greveer... if you can try that "activate the alarm and pop the bonnet/boot" I would appreciate it....
I will look into that fuse F3/F9 you mention ... and see what other fuses there are.

Never thought I would have to break into my own car, let alone pay someone to do it for me!!
Peter

Old 03-21-2016, 03:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

how much would the jag dealer charge to do all the work if you get the car transported to them.? if its about $2000 and you can claim it on insurance it might be worth it. just a thought. cheers . jeff

Old 03-21-2016, 04:56 AM

Will do osyris, i'll test what opens with alarm activated and i'll test the fuse stuff for you as well. I've been at work 36 hours since Saturday and am a little tired, so I hope I remember to wear my ear protection, 20 degrees outside and it snowed last night so setting a car alarm off in a closed garage should be interesting

Old 03-21-2016, 08:46 AM

This is what I got from my messing around. Once alarm is detonated, the bonnet will pop but the boot will not. Remove fuses F11 and F13 from engine bay box to stop the horns from blasting. Now the lights are still blinking inside and outside. The problem I had here was.....you can remove all the fuses for the front end lights and interior lights in the bonnet and heel board fuse boxes but you would need to pull F1, F19, and F21 from the boot fuse box to disable the rear lights. Even with the boot fuses pulled I believe the battery will still drain because the alarm is still technically going ultimately, just the sirens/lights are disabled. So no point in cutting behind the license plate like my previous owner did to get into the trunk. Aye yay yay. And took me about 2 seconds (no exaggeration) to jimmy around the door frame, about as tough to break into as a truck from the 80's, minus the alarm of course. A locksmith will have no problem. I feel great advertising how easy it is to break into my own car so I will send you a PM later with a little more info about breaking into the trunk, I can't let everyone on the internet know

Last edited by greverrr; 03-21-2016 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Veteran Member
Received 857 Likes on 705 Posts

+1 Assuming you have comprehensive insurance (non collision), have it towed to the dealer for a new key, new programming. You should only have to pay your deductible, but you would get it fixed.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:45 PM

Gentlemen
yes I have comprehensive insurance but even that provides for $2000 cover with $550 excess.
A dealer here charges TWICE the cost of the parts. New barrel lock set and 2 x FOBS for me direct from UK is $1100. The dealer said he wanted $2000+ for just those parts, not to even programme nor install them all. I figure they would charge another $2000 ontop for all that work. .. Towing the car to them would be impossible as its locked in the garage. I would have to put each wheel of the car on a dolly and move on a truck, but even then the alarm would most probably activate.. impossible imo. So in either case I need to open her up here.. $400 charge for locksmith. I figure for the tow + autolocksmith + dealer to fix all this and myself sit back and sunbath in the sun it would be a $5000 cost.

Heres whats happening:..... I had the locksmith over on Tuesday and they spent 1 hour grinding down blank keys to open the car up, but after 2 blank keys were used up in the process they ran out of blanks. They have to order new ones. They should have them Tuesday next week due to the easter 4 ay long weeken here in Australia, delays have occurred.
Anyway , 2 locksmiths I talked to including this one doing the job who I chose as he has experience with European cars + jags, all said they can get the car open and programm a key so I can drive the car. Jag dealers etc all said the auto locksmiths wont be able to programm the key for the car to start.. but these guys say they can. Hope so.

IF they can get the car mobile, that would be excellent. this is important.I want to move it to a better location and then slowly instalkll new barrel locks.
New barrel lock set, 2 black keys and 1 green valet key included all precut for new barrels direct from UK supplier = 300 pounds + 2 FOBs = 250 pounds. this will be on order next week after the car is opened.

I just need to make sure those criminals didn't vandalise the ENGINE BAY NOR pour water in the fuel tank or who knows what in the engine/coolant etc.. Otherwise the car looks untouched.

Any and all advice is welcome.

Many thanks to Brian for the FUSE details on disarming the alarm. Something I need to go into.

regards
Peter.

Old 03-24-2016, 11:50 PM

greverrr

which schematic are you using to locate the applicable fuses for alarm/lights? Post here or email to me please.
Peter

Old 03-25-2016, 05:03 PM

Peter, give me a call, I have some good news for you!

Quick Reply: Stolen keys X308 1999 - Reprogrammed - RESOLVED