XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Tackling my timing chains, primary and secondary tensioners.

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Tackling my timing chains, primary and secondary tensioners.

Just got my parts in today from Christopher's foreign car parts.

Side note very fast shipping and good prices from what I've seen.

Got all the tools and parts and started working on it tonight. Got the driver side valve cover off man that oil dipstick is a pain in the ***.

Surprised not more people have mentioned that before. Got to take a look and the tensioners don't look cracked or brokem but I haven't taken them out yet.

So far it's going pretty smooth.

Time to call it a night and hang out with my friend jim bean and his buddy coke and relax.

Old 10-02-2012, 09:19 PM
Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts

how was the removal of the S/C? also if you find cracked pieces or even ****** missing, you should probably take off the oil pan, as pieces may be laying in their, other then that, nice work on taking this grueling task on by yourself

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Well I've hit a few bumps in the road. Got drunk andd worked on it. Broke off my primary tensioner pivot bolt in the engine block and sheared the secondary tensioner bolts all by over torqueing. Lets just say drinking doesn't help me. So in between me waiting for new bolts and working all the time thus little projeect has taken me a while. Word of warning those pivot bolts are $50 a pop definitely be careful with them. Bolts come tomorrow. Hopefully finishing up then. Supercharger removal isn't required for this?

Old 10-11-2012, 03:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,343 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Nightmare! good luck with the rest of the rebuild...let us know how you get the sheared remains out, looks a tricky job on the chain guide bolt

Old 12-06-2012, 08:42 PM

It's been quite a while since I've been on the forums, but! I have an update to my timing chains and tensioners.

Successfully replaced everything. Only the primary tensioners showed any sign of wear even though they were all still the original plastic ones. Lucky me right? As to my broken bolts being stuck in the engine block, which I ended up having about a total of 5 (sucked so bad) I was able to remove all of them with some craftsman micro easy outs. Thank god for easy outs or I would be in a world of hurt. I buttoned everything back together and so far so good. Minus the fact that my coolant hoses need to be replaced and have developed a small leak in the hose somewhere where it goes into the radiator and a small oil leak somewhere where my timing chain cover and valve cover on the driver side meet.... PITA. Oh yea and one of my idler pulleys needs to be replaced or at least the bearing in it replaced because you can hear it grinding. Anyways car runs great minus all the little problems...

Old 12-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default cost of parts timing chain kits

wow christopher's is 200 more than british parts uk but christophers has videos!