XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Throughly Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Throughly Stumped

no crank no start. Should be pretty easy and read through the no crank no start topics on this board. Some I tried before reading them then retried anyways, and one proposed solutions seemed to work.

car ran fine before now just turns over but no start.
2000 Jaguar XJ8 VDP

New fuel pump recently and ran fine after installation, along with new fuel filter and the works. Few grand worth of work there.

Not long prior to that, new tensioners that were installed with new engine, some more grands worth of work.

fuel pressure to rail is good about 40lb there. Fuel pump work. Hell there was still fuel in rail after a week (Houston floods put it on hold). checked WITH a gauge.

brand new battery. I mean two days old brand new top of the line battery.

When through all the relays good, even switched a few and see, no change

did the shifter thing of going from park to neutral and making sure it was adjusted properly and no change besides in anything but p and N there was no cranking. As it should be.

no codes with generic reader nor Jaguar reader. Waste of hundreds in towing bills back and forth. and while there had compression test done (just cause and just in case although doubt that was issue

no restriction in air intake, throttle plate is clean (as it should be as new was put in with new engine and barely 3,000 miles on it since then)

Obviously it's not security system. remember the car cranks. Been there before. the car wont crank at all if security system is tripped or key pellet is bad (which shouldn't be, keys less than 4 months old got them done same time as fuel pump as it started to get intermittent "dead car", another $500 for two)

All dash lights turn on, no restricted performance no engine fail safe mode light, connections at batter checked rechecked, nice and tight and clean.

although seriously doubt it's timing issue given it barely have 4,00 miles on it since replacement of engine due to timing, 4017 to be exact. I aint doing that again and sure as hell aint shelling out 5-6 grand every 4 thousand over timing no matter how much money I have. F that.

cranks over fine. AKA not free wheeling.

any ideas? A non-running jag is nearly worthless so cant even sell the thing now as original plan in June. makes a nice yard ornament though.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:13 PM

oh yeah forgot to add. as I'm typing this I am testing the CKP sensor. First unplugged it then cranked the car over. then read codes. Immediately got the CKP code. Plugged it back in cleared code. Cranked it over same thing but no code popped up after three key cycles and according jag it takes two but added one more just in case. Going to check to see what the voltage is coming off that thing during cranking in a sec.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,786 Likes on 2,229 Posts

It's hard to believe you don't have a case of bore wash after all that cranking, but you said the compression was okay. Maybe the injectors aren't getting a signal. Try puuling one and see if it works when you attempt to start.

Last edited by RJ237; 04-29-2016 at 01:32 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-29-2016, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
It's hard to believe you don't have a case of bore wash after all that cranking, but you said the compression was okay. Maybe the injectors aren't getting a signal. Try puuling one and see if it works when you attempt to start.

on it. also going to hook up this spark tester afterwards to confirm for sure if it's both or one.

Old 04-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Received 258 Likes on 210 Posts

Just a random one, unplug your MAF sensor and see if it starts there? Only suggesting it since I had a wiring issue to mine, and when it happened, the car would just crank and not fire for more than a split second unless I unplugged it. Doubtful that's what it is, but it only takes a second to unplug and check.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:17 AM
Received 447 Likes on 333 Posts

I don't think you would have fuel pressure if the inertia switch was tripped, but it is worth checking.
Vector

Attached Thumbnails Throughly Stumped-inertia-switch-1.gif  
Old 04-30-2016, 02:58 AM
GGG
Received 16,826 Likes on 12,179 Posts

It takes the 3 essentials of:

1. Cranking
+
2. Fuel
+
3. Spark

You've got Cranking so it has to be 2 or 3.

As mentioned above in the thread, I'm also very surprised you haven't got bore wash or at least wet plugs after all the cranking. Worth introducing a spark tester between coil and plug to verify sparking.

After that, fuel pressure at the rail doesn't guarantee delivery at the injectors. If you don't have wet plugs then this is looking suspect.

Graham