XJ XJ8 / XJR ( X308 ) 1997 - 2003

Trunk Light Dangling.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 103 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Trunk Light Dangling.

The trunk/boot light is dangling from the liner and it seems that the glue from the leather is let loose that is connected to the liner. the glue is dried. Will Gorilla Glue work just fine? or something else?

Old 04-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

It is not supposed to be glued in. The light frame should have tabs on the small ends. The tabs are what is supposed to hold it in place. If the tabs are broken off then I would look for a new light at a junk yard. If they are still intact then the last person to work on tore the opening in the trunk liner. I have ccut a rectangular donut out of thin plastic and used it to reinforce the trunk liner opening from the backside.

If you want to just glue it back in and hope the bulb last as long as you have the car you will need to find an adhesive that will withstand high temp when the sun heats up the metal trunk lid. Somethiing like auto trim adhesive that they glue the plastic trim to the sheet metal.

The following users liked this post:
King Charles (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,019 Likes on 740 Posts

Yea I have that as well, thanks for reminding me to fix it lol.

If you go the glue route be sure to change the bulbs to LEDs so they're likely good for life.

Last edited by King Charles; 04-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by avern1
It is not supposed to be glued in. The light frame should have tabs on the small ends. The tabs are what is supposed to hold it in place. If the tabs are broken off then I would look for a new light at a junk yard. If they are still intact then the last person to work on tore the opening in the trunk liner. I have ccut a rectangular donut out of thin plastic and used it to reinforce the trunk liner opening from the backside.

If you want to just glue it back in and hope the bulb last as long as you have the car you will need to find an adhesive that will withstand high temp when the sun heats up the metal trunk lid. Somethiing like auto trim adhesive that they glue the plastic trim to the sheet metal.
Tabs are different from what i am talking about. I am talking about the leather connected to the liner.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:17 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by omgimali
Tabs are different from what i am talking about. I am talking about the leather connected to the liner.
Yes, you are right, the leather surround is glued in there, then the fitting is clipped in.

I glued the leather surround back with some 2 component stuff, worked well, just be sure to position it well before it dries.

If I remove the liner (had that to do that several times hunting a limit switch malfunction long time ago), I take care to loosen the liner a bit on one side, then get one hand in, and carefully push the fitting out, applying some pressure on the leather to prevent ripping again, same for installing.

Holding some 2 1/2 years by now.

omgimali (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

There is old glue on there. Should I remove that? the glue is on the far edge. If I remove it how so?

Old 04-23-2017, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,351 Likes on 926 Posts

Originally Posted by omgimali
There is old glue on there. Should I remove that? the glue is on the far edge. If I remove it how so?
I honestly forgot, but was it that brownish stuff, bit glass like?
I think Jaguar originally used heat gun glue or something like that.

I think I scraped off the loose stuff, sounds logical, but can't remember I spent a very long time on it, as the glue is not visible after doing so (unless you do an improper job .

omgimali (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Veteran Member

Thanks!